Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on July 31, 2014, 01:03:13 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 31, 2014, 12:39:01 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 31, 2014, 09:40:52 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 31, 2014, 09:36:39 AM
Prometheus

Pro-ID religious crap.  Not worth the time I spent watching this.

I admit Prometheus was a crappy movie, but religious?  :huh:

It doesn't have to come out of an iron age book to be religious clap trap.

Well, colour me puzzled. What exactly was religious about this movie?

Presumably that life on this planet was created by aliens.  This doesn't strike me as religious, though it does strike me as unlikely.  Essentially a secular version of intelligent design.  I suppose such a thing could be possible in a strictly materialist world view.  In a sense, it's happened here on earth with selective breeding of animals and plants and with genetic engineering.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 31, 2014, 01:14:57 PM

Presumably that life on this planet was created by aliens.  This doesn't strike me as religious, though it does strike me as unlikely.  Essentially a secular version of intelligent design.  I suppose such a thing could be possible in a strictly materialist world view.  In a sense, it's happened here on earth with selective breeding of animals and plants and with genetic engineering.

That's a straight-up science fiction notion. It isn't as if these aliens are depicted as angelic (or even nice) or anything.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Prometheus made me believe in the existence of hell.

mongers

'Oblivion' - who knew a passable recent Tom Cruise film existed.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on July 31, 2014, 01:44:18 PM
Prometheus made me believe in the existence of hell.

Hell is plot hole insanity?  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maladict

Has anyone seen Calvary? Looks interesting.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 31, 2014, 12:45:35 PM
I don't know any major religions that believe we were created by aliens.

Scientology and Mormonism :contract:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

What's wrong with a movie about cavalry?  Sounds exciting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on July 31, 2014, 04:40:26 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 31, 2014, 12:45:35 PM
I don't know any major religions that believe we were created by aliens.

Scientology and Mormonism :contract:

Do you believe Prometheus tries to adhere to the theology of one of those?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

i don't agree with viper,* but "religion" doesn't have to refer to a specific theology. one can be religious and believe aliens created man. there's no inconsistency.

*discussion of religion on a superficial level doesn't make the movie "pro-ID religious crap"

The Brain

The movie is about as religious as the steaming turd it emulates.

Ideologue

I dunno if I'd call Prometheus definitively pro-ID--though the Engineers' creation of life and standing in for God was certainly intended to have that resonance--but its treatment of its theme of faith vs. science is juvenile and boring.  That's the terrible part.  (And it's why Mission to Mars, despite having much the same premise, succeeds, since it's not as heavy-handed nor half as stupid--though it is stupid.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Mission to Mars is horrendously atrocious.