Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: garbon on July 13, 2014, 12:25:38 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 13, 2014, 12:23:06 PM
they are ignorant

Posting comments on youtube wasn't enough of a clue? ;)

HEY! I post on you tube from time to time.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 12, 2014, 11:44:08 PM
Bale ain't Heston that's for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=N4iSzHXOUEE

On the plus side, maybe more plagues?  It'd be a pity to forget bats and flying unicorns. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Viking on July 13, 2014, 12:15:41 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 13, 2014, 12:10:47 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 13, 2014, 10:27:23 AM

The comment sections are painful. "WTF EGYPTIANS WERE BLACK!!!"

That and all the crazy atheist comments. "Y ALL THE CHRISTIAN MOVIES WHERE R THE MOVIES ABOUT ATHEISTS?????"

1. All movies not including God are atheist movies, since they don't have a god in them, they are without god, or "a theos" in greek.
2. The only atheist comment I could find was the one where the guy bitched about the movie deviating from the book and that he was annoyed about that despite being an atheist.

I was annoyed by Aronofsky's liberties in Noah.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 13, 2014, 01:01:00 AM
Just saw Gravity.  Not nearly as gripping as Ide made it out to be.  Very impressive effects however.

It's not my fault you replaced your emotions with clockwork to better serve the Party. :(
Kinemalogue

celedhring

There are loads of movies that depict religion as an oppressive force, even if they aren't about atheism per se.

Ideologue

Like Prince of Darkness. :)
Kinemalogue

Queequeg

Quote from: Malthus on July 13, 2014, 12:26:43 PM
"Agora" is probably the best match for the ingnorant athiest youtuber.  ;)
Because it's terrible, offensive and moronic?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

FunkMonk

Quote from: Viking on July 13, 2014, 12:15:41 PM

That and all the crazy atheist comments. "Y ALL THE CHRISTIAN MOVIES WHERE R THE MOVIES ABOUT ATHEISTS?????"

1. All movies not including God are atheist movies, since they don't have a god in them, they are without god, or "a theos" in greek.
2. The only atheist comment I could find was the one where the guy bitched about the movie deviating from the book and that he was annoyed about that despite being an atheist.

:lmfao:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I would have thought it more a Jewish movie then a christian one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ideologue

Cure (1997).  Was this enough time for Kiroyoshi Kurosawa to rip off David Fincher, or was it just a case of convergent evolution after Silence of the Lambs?  Bodies turn up with distinctive knife wound patterns despite their killers being seemingly unrelated--the only commonality is that they had no motive.  OR DID THEY?  Either way, I've finally found a proper movie about hypnotism that's even goofier about it than Trance and Oldboy.  Fuck, at least in Devil Doll, it's expressly magic.  It'd be pretty cool if the last ten minutes were remotely sensible.

C+

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014).   Pain & Gain this is not, but I've seen worse backsliding in my day.  Transformers: Age of Extinction exists, and I would describe no individual stretch of the picture as unpleasant.  However, faint pleasure, experienced for a truly bludgeoning one hundred and sixty-five minutes, does not a gold-plated recommendation make.

I was never a sex criminal in Texas

B
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

P.S. The Conversation was better.

Oh, I also watched Things to Come with my dad, who'd never seen it.  He didn't "get" it and he fell asleep a couple of times, but in his defense it is pretty avant-garde.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Why are all the cartoon mothers dead? I think it's pretty obvious, if the child's parents are dead then the child can go on an adventure. If you're limited to killing off one, the mother is the more restrictive on the ball parent. It's not just a trope in western animation, you see the same thing in Japanese anime.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/07/why-are-all-the-cartoon-mothers-dead/372270/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point