News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

My dad grew up with the stereotype of the dumb Dutchman.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2014, 01:20:51 PM
My dad grew up with the stereotype of the dumb Dutchman.

I thought you were oriental?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

viper37

Quote from: Norgy on June 18, 2014, 05:34:24 AM
Then again, you have The Swede from Hell on Wheels, who's just a bastard.
IIRC, he wasn't a Swede, he was Danish, or Norvegian?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Norgy

He was supposedly Norwegian. And the actor is Norwegian.

Syt

Edge of Tomorrow

Groundhog Day meets D-Day meets Starship Troopers.

I had a good time, and except for the ending it didn't get too cheesy (even if it was pretty predictable).

Good summer blockbuster fare.

7.75/10.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Also, grindiest video game ever. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

It was extremely hilarious, though. "I'm tired and in pain. I think it's time for a reset!"
—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

I'm about to watch Paxo's last ever 'Newsnight'  :cry:

Apparently the ending has something to do with a bicycle and Boris Johnson.  :cool: :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: Norgy on June 18, 2014, 02:05:04 PM
He was supposedly Norwegian. And the actor is Norwegian.

The actor, I know, it's the character I didn't remember.  Weren't Norway and Sweden the same country back then, 1867sh?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

He mentioned it in the show, he's Norwegian.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Fargo was good. So what's the deal...they gonna bring it back with new characters?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

A few more notes on Edge of Tomorrow:

- I normally don't watch Tom Cruise movies (he's a good actor, I just don't like him), but he plays it self-deprecating enough in this one to be fun
- I was glad that the love plot was rather subdued for most of the time; also: Emily Blunt is the one kicking ass and taking names for a large part of the movie, not Cruise.
- It shows that a good action flick can still be funny (though it does have its serious moments which aren't too cheesy, fortunately) - the "death montages" are some of the funniest stuff I've seen in a while; it would have been easy to make this a grim/dark/gritty movie, but they fortunately didn't go that route.
- The time loop stuff is paced in a way that it doesn't become tedious or too repetitive; and a lot of the (1000s of) iterations are implied rather than shown, or montaged together. YMMV.
- I think while Groundhog Day is the obvious comparison, the focus is different. GD is about a jerk becoming a decent human being. EoT has that too, but the much bigger focus is on solving the puzzle, like in a video game, by memorizing everything that happens and finding your way through the challenges (duck, jump, shoot ...).
- It's a very linear movie, and there's no huge surprises in there, really, but that doesn't take away from the experience IMHO.
- The truck scene and Bill Paxton's reaction to it. :lol:
- Tom Cruise gets killed a few dozen times on screen (would have been a perfect role for Sean Bean?)
- The climactic battle was a bit of a letdown, but was still ok.
- The squad mates are fun.
- Bill Paxton is hilarious. ("Are you an American?" - "No, sir, I'm from Kentucky!")
- The design of the aliens is pretty cool.

Again, highly recommended for 2 hours of fun.
—Stephen Jay Gould

11B4V

Just watched a good, creepy little move.

Conspiracy: A-
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".