News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Season 4 finale of "Louie".

It had at least one stinker of an episode this seasons, but overall in my opinion, perhaps subtly the best show on TV right now.

Ideologue

Dragon Blade: Maybe if they were ethnic Italians who formed colonies in the Parthian east... maybe.  But evidently they're going for "actual representatives of the Roman state."  Okie-dokie.

Fury: will probably be pretty good.

Anyway, watched:

The Wrong Man (1956).  The worst Alfred Hitchcock movie I ever saw.  Miserablist and immeasurably boring about it, The Wrong Man features a legal drama where the word "lawyer" is not mentioned until the forty-five minute mark and one of the most perfunctory examples of weak womanliness mid-century Hollywood has to offer.  The only thing keeping this thing's nostrils above the waterline of complete failure is the fact that Hitchcock is a good director, even of rote crap.

D

Stagecoach (1939).  I liked it a lot.  Cool stunts and humanity to spare.  However, while an evil banker gets his comeuppance, the bank itself remains. :(  My favorite part was when the banker calls the Mexican guy's wife a savage, meaning an Apache, but he only knowingly smiles and says, "Si, Senor."

B+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Romans in China makes more sense than alien invasions :shrug:
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

I'd believe aliens over 100k Roman legionaries marching to Chiner.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Caesar was supposedly planning to march around the Black Sea and attack Dacia from the north after conquering Parthia wasn't he? Maybe he gets lost!  :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Finished Hannibal. The finale was pretty disappointing.

[spoiler]The rivers of blood were fun, but they should have caught him, the finale brings zero closure to anything and I'm growing tired of the entire cat-and-mouse dynamic and I'm not looking forward them stretching the chase for another entire season; I was hoping they would be reenacting Red Dragon, with Hannibal helping them and manipulating them from prison.
The fact that they brought back Abigail just because (I'm not going to check season 1 again, but wasn't there a body?) and killed her again 2 minutes later shows me the writers definitely just aim to shock the audience instead of telling a proper story[/spoiler]

Gotta say I enjoyed the Verger arc quite a bit though, Michael Pitt was great as Mason. [spoiler]and the face-eating scene is one of the most disgustingly funny scenes I have seen in a while. Somehow reminded me of Kendler in Hannibal eating his own brains.[/spoiler]

I will probably watch it again next season, mind, just for the bouts of grand-gignolesque gruesomeness and the occasional bits of deranged brilliance.

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on June 17, 2014, 09:01:57 AM

[spoiler]The fact that they brought back Abigail just because (I'm not going to check season 1 again, but wasn't there a body?) and killed her again 2 minutes later shows me the writers definitely just aim to shock the audience instead of telling a proper story[/spoiler]

[spoiler]They didn't bring her back 'just because'.  Pay attention to the entire final scene.  It's Hannibal recreating Will's first killing.  There was never a body found of Abigail, so viewers never really knew if she was dead or not.  Considering how many other people have been brought back before her, is it really a surprise that one of the most important characters of season 1 (and someone they showed in cameos and such throughout season 2) would be pivotal at the very end?[/spoiler]
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on June 17, 2014, 09:14:18 AM

[spoiler]The fact that they brought back Abigail just because (I'm not going to check season 1 again, but wasn't there a body?) and killed her again 2 minutes later shows me the writers definitely just aim to shock the audience instead of telling a proper story[/spoiler]

[spoiler]They didn't bring her back 'just because'.  Pay attention to the entire final scene.  It's Hannibal recreating Will's first killing.  There was never a body found of Abigail, so viewers never really knew if she was dead or not.  Considering how many other people have been brought back before her, is it really a surprise that one of the most important characters of season 1 (and someone they showed in cameos and such throughout season 2) would be pivotal at the very end?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]She would actually had been pivotal if her resurrection was played more than a "boo!" moment and then taken away. Yes, she is important to Will, why not play that more? They don't even get to talk, we don't even get to know what's on her mind. She's just there as a prop and a swine to get slaughtered again.[/spoiler]

lustindarkness

This past weekend I had a few hours to kill, watched:
The Lone Ranger, not as bad as reviews, not good either. Awesome views of the same areas I will visit this summer.
This is the End, weird but funny stoner comedy.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on June 17, 2014, 07:23:27 AM
The Wrong Man (1956).   . . . The Wrong Man features a legal drama where the word "lawyer" is not mentioned until the forty-five minute mark   

Point missed.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

The Wrong Man is great. Ultimately the film is about the degradation of Fonda's and Miles' characters. It's possibly Hitchcock's most depressing film.

derspiess

[spoiler]The rivers of blood were fun, but they should have caught him, the finale brings zero closure to anything and I'm growing tired of the entire cat-and-mouse dynamic and I'm not looking forward them stretching the chase for another entire season; I was hoping they would be reenacting Red Dragon, with Hannibal helping them and manipulating them from prison.
The fact that they brought back Abigail just because (I'm not going to check season 1 again, but wasn't there a body?) and killed her again 2 minutes later shows me the writers definitely just aim to shock the audience instead of telling a proper story[/spoiler]

Gotta say I enjoyed the Verger arc quite a bit though, Michael Pitt was great as Mason. [spoiler]and the face-eating scene is one of the most disgustingly funny scenes I have seen in a while. Somehow reminded me of Kendler in Hannibal eating his own brains.[/spoiler]

I will probably watch it again next season, mind, just for the bouts of grand-gignolesque gruesomeness and the occasional bits of deranged brilliance.

I watched bits & pieces (heh) of Hannibal since the first episode with the wife, who has watched every episode.  We both saw all the films but she tends to have movie amnesia so I had to remind her who Mason was & point back to some of the similarities and differences to Red Dragon. 

I guess it's coming back for another season.  I might watch it more closely.  I'm not much on the horror/gore stuff but the Hannibal character always intrigued me for some reason.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

celedhring

Mikkelsen pulls off a great Hannibal, I honestly wouldn't be watching the show if it weren't for him. And the one thing the show does well it's his character.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 17, 2014, 10:58:28 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 17, 2014, 07:23:27 AM
The Wrong Man (1956).   . . . The Wrong Man features a legal drama where the word "lawyer" is not mentioned until the forty-five minute mark   

Point missed.

Is the point that Henry Fonda didn't take fifth grade social studies?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Anyway, figured I'd get way more shit for not grading Stagecoach A+ ONE MILLION!!1 or something equally hyperbolic.
Kinemalogue