News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Norgy on June 06, 2014, 06:46:43 PM
Watching Der Untergang, or Downfall, once again.
DAS WAR EIN BEFEHL!!

:wub:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Norgy

Fuck it, Steiner, Wenck and Busse are fucking up this time too.  :mad:

Ed Anger

Norgy

Martha Goebbels - Mother of the year. Again.

Like much of Fest's writings, it paints a picture of Speer as almost a decent guy. Which I am sure he was, if you disregard the Nazism and the slave labour.

Admiral Yi

If you read Speer's autobiography you can come to no other conclusion other than he was a decent guy.

Ed Anger

Admiral Yi

Iormlund

Quote from: celedhring on June 06, 2014, 12:40:40 PM
Well, the chick at the uni office always told me to tick the "Hispanic" box in the forms. To be honest, it was kinda cool to be a minority for a change, made me feel special and all.

Being oppressed by centralist chulomesetarios doesn't make you feel special?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2014, 08:32:37 PM
I'm serious.

Just like almost all the German general's memoirs, talking about how they were selflessly defending Western Europe from the evil communist hordes...and whoops, holocaust.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 06, 2014, 11:45:22 PM
Just like almost all the German general's memoirs, talking about how they were selflessly defending Western Europe from the evil communist hordes...and whoops, holocaust.

Did you judge his book to be insincere?  On what basis?

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on June 06, 2014, 12:33:46 PM
People are sympathetic to the exact extent that they are of a minority.  So the criminal who abandoned his-her family and committed credit fraud to pay for his-her sex-change operation is super sympathetic because he-she is a black transsexual, while the white protestant heterosexual female character is a psychopathic meth addict who has had 20 abortions and is now an Evangelical.  It's the fucking worst.  The structure is borrowed from Lost and adds nothing to it.  I fucking hate it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_savage

it's either racism or an expression of fear that mainstream society is somehow corrupt and without morals. I'm starting to think that americans need a good and proper dose of communism just so you stop thinking of rednecks and hillbillies as having privilege.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I'm not sure if Noble savage is correct here.  More contempt for the familiar and the praise for the unfamiliar.  I do agree that it has a patronizing racism about it.  Black transsexual is hardly a savage, just unfamiliar.  I remember a girl who told me that she couldn't wait for the first black lesbian President of the United States.  I simply said that race and sexuality are hardly a good metric for office.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Watched the animated movie Epic about the epic struggle between good and evil in the form of insect sized forest folk.It was pure, predictable fluff, but competently made with high production values. It's a painless way to pass two hours, but ultimately forgettable. And the epilogue was kinda lame. I feel Christoph Waltz and Colin Ferrel were wasted on it.

6.5/10
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Colin Farrel is wasted in approximately 80% of his career.

Edge of Tomorrow (2014).  Groundhog Day meets Aliens meets Saving Private Ryan meets the parts of the Halo games where I got frustrated and went back to headshotting n00bs with my BR in multiplayer.  But this is, with some caveats, very good.

And I'm hanging on a moment with you

B+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Quote from: Ideologue on June 07, 2014, 03:05:20 AM
Colin Farrel is wasted in approximately 80% of his career.

Well, yeah. The guy must have one seriously shitty agent. Maybe the same agency that talked Lazenby out of doing another Bond movie for fear of getting him typecast?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.