News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Hannibal. I was like a Red Wedding Reactions montage during the last 10 minutes.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ideologue

Quote from: Liep on May 24, 2014, 06:11:55 AM
Hannibal. I was like a Red Wedding Reactions montage during the last 10 minutes.
I don't know what happened, but it was great.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 23, 2014, 10:19:46 PM
I'm really glad that it got renewed for a third season, but a part of me kind of wishes Hannibal had been canceled and that this episode would have been the ending.   :lol: :lol:

I read a couple weeks ago that the producers werent' expecting to get renewed and thought that that might be the last episode.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

The Giant Claw (1957)

Planes go missing as a mysterious creature from outer space comes to earth.  It's up to square jawed engineer Jeff Morrow and bitchy, gorgeous mathematician Mara Corday to save the world.  This should have been just a standard low budget science fiction movie, but the producer had so little money that he contracted with a puppeteer from Mexico City to make the monster.  The result was:

There's even this homage to a considerably better movie:

One thing that surprised me about the film is that they talked about anti-matter; and identify correctly one of the properties of anti-matter, that it explodes with matter.  I didn't know that was known in the 1950s, but it turns out Dirac had identified this in the 1920s.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Speaking of great comic book films, I just caught Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer on the telly  :bleeding:

Queequeg

That's such a weird movie.  The Silver Surfer is fascinating and Fishburne's voice is great but it is such a fucking mess of a movie that even that is obscured. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

I don't know. It's a guy on a surf table with a bodypaint job. He looks way too silly.

Funny how utterly unbearable Chris Evans is as Johnny Storm, yet he makes a quite good Cap.

Queequeg

Directing and writing make a world of difference.  I actually like Evans quite a bit, wish he wasn't giving up acting. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

Someone made the point that a bad performance by otherwise decent actors is usually the director's fault, because he's the one who should have the whole vision in his head, while actors often only see their bits, frequently not shot in order or without full context (not to mention having to react to not yet rendered CGI).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

I really adore The Giant Claw. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Main cast get the whole script, so he can have the "whole vision" in his head too.

Anyway, the character is written to come across as an unbearable prick, and Chris Evans portrays him as such. Don't think even Marlon Brando circa 1955 would have saved this one.

dps

Quote from: celedhring on May 24, 2014, 11:59:00 AM
Main cast get the whole script, so he can have the "whole vision" in his head too.

Even with the whole script, what ends up on the screen might not be all that similar to what's written down beforehand.  Lots of times, major changes are made to the script even during shooting, plus there's ab-libbing and improvised lines, and maybe most important, decisions made during editting.

celedhring

Of course, but an actor has to be aware what his character is about and his evolution throughout the story in order to portray it, it's part of his paygrade. They aren't blind parrots that just utter the lines they are fed every day.

Sheilbh

I think Jason Statham is...
Let's bomb Russia!

Scipio

Quote from: celedhring on May 24, 2014, 12:43:06 PM
Of course, but an actor has to be aware what his character is about and his evolution throughout the story in order to portray it, it's part of his paygrade. They aren't blind parrots that just utter the lines they are fed every day.
That's an awfully romanticized view of it. Hitchcock was right: actors are cattle. Mamet is right: the search for the character is mental masturbation. The character is on the page. It is the actor's job to show up and hit his marks, as Cagney said. All the rest is funny voices.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt