And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on May 18, 2014, 11:38:28 PM
Whoa, and I spoiled it? :o

Anyway, Deadline's staff writer jotted down a contender for clumsiest sentence ever written that is still factually and grammatically correct:

QuoteGodzilla has been made into features before over its 60-year history.

They're pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of them.

Don't act so surprised;  I was politely informed by some Assburger Millennials in class that Indiana Jones was something from "my" generation.

garbon

How is there a show about women competing to marry a person who is pretending to be Prince Harry?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Fall of the West?

End times?
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Bitches like money and status.

I may have misunderstood the question.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on May 21, 2014, 05:50:38 PM

As a bitch who likes money and status, I would tend to agree with your 2nd sentence.

edit: Actually scratch that, I don't care about status.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: celedhring on May 21, 2014, 03:49:35 AM
Stupid tidbit but... [spoiler]why did they pick a blonde actress to play Sarah when she was clearly dark haired in the first season?  :huh: It's not like the new girl is a particularly good actress...[/spoiler]

Caity Lotz doesn't run like a girl, she doesn't throw like a girl and she doesn't punch like a girl.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on May 21, 2014, 05:52:04 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 21, 2014, 05:50:38 PM

As a bitch who likes money and status, I would tend to agree with your 2nd sentence.

edit: Actually scratch that, I don't care about status.

They're pretty much the same thing anyway.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

No they're not. "Status" is the adult version of high school popularity.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Party Down. Had it recommended so tried the first episode. Very funny, very toe curling.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 21, 2014, 05:55:09 PM
No they're not. "Status" is the adult version of high school popularity.

That's pretty good Wegro.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on May 21, 2014, 05:40:25 PM
How is there a show about women competing to marry a person who is pretending to be Prince Harry?
read about that yesterday. Apparently it is terrible. I want to see it :blush:
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on May 21, 2014, 08:19:48 PM
read about that yesterday. Apparently it is terrible. I want to see it :blush:

That's apparent from the time you hear the pitch.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

I posted an article on that several weeks ago;  the cruelest installment in the trending of Cruel Reality TV.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 21, 2014, 09:13:02 PM

I posted an article on that several weeks ago;  the cruelest installment in the trending of Cruel Reality TV.

Oh sorry didn't see it. And yeah I agree.

Savonarola

Nosferatu: The Gothic Industrial Mix

This is FW Murnau's masterpiece set to music that only the teens from SNLs "Goth Talk" could love.  The print used doesn't even pretend that the movie isn't a "Dracula" rip-off.  The protagonists are called Jonathan Harker, Mina Harker and Van Helsing rather than Hutter, Ellen and Professor Sievers respectively.  (Though Dracula is still Count Orlock.)

Still bad print and questionable music doesn't change that this is one of the greatest vampire films ever made.  Murnau abandons Caligarism in this film.  The sets are no longer painted, and they no longer drive the weirdness.  Even though the sets are naturalistic the film is still unsettling; probably more unsettling than any previous film except Caligari.  Murnau manages to create a strange and disturbing world in this naturalistic setting.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock