News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Whoa, and I spoiled it? :o

Anyway, Deadline's staff writer jotted down a contender for clumsiest sentence ever written that is still factually and grammatically correct:

QuoteGodzilla has been made into features before over its 60-year history.

They're pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of them.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Liep

Anyone watching Penny Dreadful? I mean, Eva Green, but I almost can't bother to follow another show.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Liep on May 19, 2014, 04:52:38 PM
Anyone watching Penny Dreadful? I mean, Eva Green, but I almost can't bother to follow another show.

I could watch her doing the dishes, but yeah, it's not all that impressive at all.

celedhring

I saw the first two eps and I was entertained enough - the dark turn of the century atmosphere is very well done and they certainly don't hold back on blood and disgusting-looking stuff. But I agree that they sort of need to find a focus fast, all the name-dropping and monster-dropping (Here's Frankenstein! Here's Dorian Gray! And we got vampires too! And Jack the Ripper! Isn't this cool????) doesn't yet seem to be to building up to something compelling.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: celedhring on May 19, 2014, 06:07:31 PM
I saw the first two eps and I was entertained enough - the dark turn of the century atmosphere is very well done and they certainly don't hold back on blood and disgusting-looking stuff. But I agree that they sort of need to find a focus fast, all the name-dropping and monster-dropping (Here's Frankenstein! Here's Dorian Gray! And we got vampires too! And Jack the Ripper! Isn't this cool????) doesn't yet seem to be to building up to something compelling.
Agreed.  It has some of the base elements of what the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie could have and should have been, but it needs to tighten up.  Hopefully it is just building a solid base to work from.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Queequeg

I'm really loving it.   :huh:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 19, 2014, 05:23:48 PM
Quote from: Liep on May 19, 2014, 04:52:38 PM

I could watch her doing the dishes,

:yes: :yes: :yes:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Veep

[spoiler]Poor Dan![/spoiler]

I need to be driven to the airport at Diana speed, okay just more carefully though please.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on May 18, 2014, 11:38:28 PM
Whoa, and I spoiled it? :o

Anyway, Deadline's staff writer jotted down a contender for clumsiest sentence ever written that is still factually and grammatically correct:

:lol:

That's not a spoiler
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Third act fates of important characters > first act denouements of unimportant featured extras. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

Lorna Doone (1922)

Brigands!  Doughty yeomen!  A kidnapped lady!  A hidden fortress!  Daring rescues!  True love!  A happy ending!  This story has it all; but never explains how the heroine got into the cookie making business.   :uffda:

;)

This is a fine film by Maurice Tourneur.  He wasn't much of an actors' director (only Frank Keenan as Sir Ensor Doone has a memorable performance;) but he could generate atmosphere and set scenes brilliantly.  The final scenes of the doughty yeoman storming the Doone stronghold are truly spectacular.

The scenes of Lorna as a noble feel a little rushed, but otherwise this film is a great deal a fun.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Been watching the first third of Arrow's season 2, and I gotta agree that the show improves immensely. I love the fact they are introducing so many heroes and villains from the comics - it makes for far more entertaining watching than the "Corrupt Rich Guy of the Week" approach of season 1.

Writing's tighter and the season arcs are much more present throughout. Loving it at the moment. There's still a lot of jarring soap opera stuff, but the rest of the show is entertaining enough to make me ignore it.

Stupid tidbit but... [spoiler]why did they pick a blonde actress to play Sarah when she was clearly dark haired in the first season?  :huh: It's not like the new girl is a particularly good actress...[/spoiler]

lustindarkness

Godzilla, liked it, well done. And that roar, cool stuff. And he be BIG.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom