News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on April 10, 2014, 09:28:26 PM
Sheilbh, what did you think of Wind that Shakes the Barley?  I found it extremely effective emotionally but ultimately a bit repulsive.  Loach's anti-Irish Protestant/English sentiments are near self-hating.
Repulsive how?
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on April 11, 2014, 07:34:20 AM
Best adaptation of a classic greek work until O Brother.

Love that one. I lived in Baseball Fury turf  :ph34r:

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2014, 07:35:45 AM
Sheilbh, what did you think of Wind that Shakes the Barley?  I found it extremely effective emotionally but ultimately a bit repulsive.  Loach's anti-Irish Protestant/English sentiments are near self-hating.
Repulsive how?

Maybe he finds the notion that all Protestants are barbarians with an never-ending appetite for blood, oppression, and violence repulsive.  The rest of us just know it as a self-evident truth.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

What is wrong with O Brother?  I mean besides the fact it has only the loosest of ties to the Odyssey  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

celedhring

O Brother is a very fun flick. Great music, inventive scenes and charismatic actors all over the place. Yeah, the plot is loose at best, but so was Big Lebowski's.

Also, it got me laid so I probably have a higher appreciation for it than it deserves  :P

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 11, 2014, 10:05:04 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2014, 07:35:45 AM
Repulsive how?

Maybe he finds the notion that all Protestants are barbarians with an never-ending appetite for blood, oppression, and violence repulsive.  The rest of us just know it as a self-evident truth.

They may not have had an endless appetite for blood  and oppression but it it was several hundred years worth.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on April 11, 2014, 10:56:49 AM
O Brother is a very fun flick. Great music, inventive scenes and charismatic actors all over the place. Yeah, the plot is loose at best, but so was Big Lebowski's.

Also, it got me laid so I probably have a higher appreciation for it than it deserves  :P

Somebody was really turned on by cows on roofs?

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on April 11, 2014, 12:19:51 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 11, 2014, 10:56:49 AM

Somebody was really turned on by cows on roofs?

The girl I took was a big fan of grassroots music. Wine did the rest.

CountDeMoney

Hillbilly folk and cheap wine.  Yeah, that's the one you bring home to Mom.

celedhring

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2014, 12:23:40 PM

She was Spanish. Wine+grassroots music = hip in Spain.

CountDeMoney

[gunnysgthartman]
Battle for Los Angeles was silly and it was stupid, but it was fun, and fun was enough.
[/gunnysgthartman]

B+

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on April 11, 2014, 12:24:49 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2014, 12:23:40 PM

She was Spanish. Wine+grassroots music = hip in Spain.

No wonder they took so long to kick out the Moops.
Yeah, the card says Moops.