News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Sheilbh, what did you think of Wind that Shakes the Barley?  I found it extremely effective emotionally but ultimately a bit repulsive.  Loach's anti-Irish Protestant/English sentiments are near self-hating. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Anyone remember an HBO adaptation of And the Band Played On?  I really wanted to read the book, but saw the movie on HBO Go and decided to watch.  I actually think I watched at least a part of it in the 90s, the opening scene looked really familiar.  I'm fascinated by the subject, it looks pretty good so far. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on April 10, 2014, 09:59:48 PM
Anyone remember an HBO adaptation of And the Band Played On?  I really wanted to read the book, but saw the movie on HBO Go and decided to watch.  I actually think I watched at least a part of it in the 90s, the opening scene looked really familiar.  I'm fascinated by the subject, it looks pretty good so far.

Yeah, that was a very good production.  Alan Alda was spot on for Gallo as he was portrayed in the book.

Queequeg

It is really good.  Ian McKellan and Modine are great.  Extremely humane, but simultaneously terrifying. 

CountDeMoney

Yes, medical researchers can be terrifying at times. 
Doing a lot of work right now with that particular community;  try being the only person in the room with a humanities-based education, and you learn very quickly what terrifying truly is.  :lol:

Queequeg

By the time I was born (1988) the AIDS epidemic was at its peak but some of the first antiretrovirals were already being introduced.  I can't imagine how terrifying it was to come up against a disease with a near-100% mortality rate that kills in the most painful, humiliating way imaginable. 

CountDeMoney

Yeah, you missed all the panicky fun of the early outbreak, bad conspiracies and all.  People worried that it could be transmitted by mosquitoes.  The insanity surrounding Ryan White.  That Castro used it as a biological weapon against the US.

It took Rock Hudson to bring real mainstream awareness to the issue, as up to then it was considered a plague solely for the "Three H's": Haitians, hemophiliacs and homosexuals.

Queequeg

I asked my mom about it, and apparently the adopted brother of one of her sister's best friends was born with it and died in the mid-80s.  She almost started crying. I can't think of an infectious disease that has effected my family.   

Also; fucking Pacman?  Seriously?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on April 10, 2014, 10:31:12 PM
Also; fucking Pacman?  Seriously?

It's called a plot device.

Queequeg

Oh.  I was wondering if that was actually what happened. 

Also; I pretty much automatically love anything with Donal Logue.  Donal Logue is the best. 

Queequeg

I'm kind of surprised Richard Gere had the guts to be in this.  You'd think he would avoid it, as I am guessing the gerbil rumor was already well entrenched.

Josquius

The Warriors- Never seen this one before. I understand why they made a game of it. It does unfold like a video game. It is wonderful.
Hearing "Can you dig it" used unironically is funny.
Though I do wonder how the gang is white/black mixed, and how they got dibs on the name The Warriors.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Because they are from Cooney Island.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Best adaptation of a classic greek work until O Brother.