News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on March 31, 2014, 02:43:11 AM
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982).  :wub: And I don't know why people give James Horner shit.  He's great.

A+

You are no longer sent to a penal battalion.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

celedhring

I love In Search of Spock too  :ph34r:

The destruction of the Enterprise :wub:

The moment when Kirk tricks the Klingons into beaming them off the exploding Genesis  :wub:

Might be my 13-year old speaking, but I just loved the Khan-Spock diptic. Classic sci-fi adventure of the kind I wish we got nowadays with the current FX technology (the first Star Trek reboot film was close, pity Into Darkness was so meh). If only they didn't make the fucking whales one to close the arc...

Liep

Again a great episode of Hannibal. While in Belgium I ran into a display by Jan Fabre, it was quite eerie after having watched that show.

A little taste:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 30, 2014, 08:19:02 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 30, 2014, 07:03:42 PM
On the final night, saw Waiting for Godot with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen. Enjoyed No Man's Land better though seeing those two do physical humor was entertaining. :)

Benefits of living at The Center Of The Universe.   :(

Friends in Philly caught the bus/train up. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Just watched Captain America: Winter Soldier.

A-

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

I've been watching top gear on youtube.  :blush:

While it must be ridiculously staged, it is rather etertaining. Does anyone else watch this?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

I watched about 15 minutes one time.  Did nothing for me.

celedhring

Quote from: alfred russel on March 31, 2014, 10:09:49 AM

While it must be ridiculously staged, it is rather etertaining. Does anyone else watch this?

I don't give a damn about cars (heck, I don't even have a driving license), and I watch it. They are really entertaining, and all the stunts/tests are fun.

But I have a soft spot for watching British people just being British.

Josquius

Walking Dead- [spoiler]Oh I do hope they're not just copying the cannibal plot from the game. I'm dissapointed if so. Oh well. At least they didn't kill off anyone off screen as I suspected they might be tempted to do. Reading other people's comments it seems I'm not alone in suspecting this. It was the meat welcome that did it for me....but yes, the cult stuff makes sense too, that's the way an end of episode trailer a few episodes ago seemed and the way the woman on the radio is talking and all that.[/spoiler]
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Zero de Conduite (1933)

Jean Vigo's third film and his attempt to put his Anarchist (:punk:) views on film.  Unfortunately anarchy as a political philosophy doesn't seem as well adapted to film as Marxism, and the film wanders at points.  Some of the scenes are brilliant, though; most notably the (possibly NSFW, you can briefly see a young boy's penis :o) pillow fight and the walk through the city.  The film is about a group of young boys at a boarding school who revolt against their teachers.  Throughout Vigo focuses on the institutionalized life at boarding school and the freedom the boys experience (at least temporarily.)

The French Censors took one look at it and said:  :banned:  It couldn't be shown in France until after the Second World War.  According to the pretentious film scholar who provided commentary on the Criterion version said that the major issue was that the film was set in a school.  The French (at least at the time) viewed the public schools as a symbol of the Republic and an attack on the schools was an attack on France herself.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Ah.  Now I understand.

Ever since you posted the title or your next review, I kept wondering: "How come Sav is reviewing such movies?  A 1985 comedy dubbed in French?  That's not his style"

And now, I understand.

Les Zéros de conduite
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

So I watched R.I.P.D yesterday night with my cousin.  She kept texting and I can't remember what I did for half the movie.

I suppose the premise is interesting, but all along, it seem dead intent on copying Men In Black and other revenant movies.  Nothing original, quite boring.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on March 31, 2014, 02:24:29 PM
Ah.  Now I understand.

Ever since you posted the title or your next review, I kept wondering: "How come Sav is reviewing such movies?  A 1985 comedy dubbed in French?  That's not his style"

And now, I understand.

Les Zéros de conduite

Now that's an unknown and obscure movie, unlike Vigo's film which was still referenced in the '80s in French mainstream comedies ;)

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 31, 2014, 02:51:54 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 31, 2014, 02:24:29 PM
Ah.  Now I understand.

And now, I understand.

Les Zéros de conduite

Now that's an unknown and obscure movie, unlike Vigo's film which was still referenced in the '80s in French mainstream comedies ;)
Never heard of it before :)

Ed Anger

Quote from: alfred russel on March 31, 2014, 10:09:49 AM

Yes. The 2 Caravan episodes where camp out in Dorset and where they "build" caravans out of old cars are good.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive