News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

I watch a film, 'The Hunter', with Daniel Defoe, it was ok.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Was it about an amateur movie reviewer?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Who the fuck is Daniel Defoe?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 30, 2014, 04:14:29 PM
Was it about an amateur movie reviewer?

I am the anti-IDE.   :cool:

mongers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on March 30, 2014, 04:19:20 PM

Apparently Willem Dafoe's little-known brother, who took a turn at acting after a mediocre career in chartered accountancy.

celedhring

Watched The Terminal again (it was on the telly and I was bored). There's a great kafkian story buried in there, but Spielberg is the completely wrong man to tell it.

Then again, he would have been the completely wrong man for Catch Me If You Can and he aced that one.

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 30, 2014, 04:25:03 PM
Quote from: katmai on March 30, 2014, 04:19:20 PM

Apparently Willem Dafoe's little-known brother, who took a turn at acting after a mediocre career in chartered accountancy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Defoe

that would make dafoe's father really really really old
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Savonarola

CB and I went to see Penguin 3D at the Orlando Science Center.  The movie is similar to "March of the Penguins" but about king penguins rather than emperor penguins, narrated by David Attenborough rather than Morgan Freeman and IN 3D! rather than in 2D.

The theater they showed it in also serves as a lecture hall and consequently has a stage.  One little boy (about 3 years old) got up on the stage and started to walk towards the penguins until his father grabbed him and took him back to his seat.  It was cute the first time; not so much the next fifteen times.  Finally his sister (who was about five) grabbed him, yanked him off stage and kept him in a headlock throughout the rest of the film.  It was a marvelous cinema experience.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

celedhring

Quote from: Savonarola on March 30, 2014, 05:26:23 PM
CB and I went to see Penguin 3D at the Orlando Science Center.  The movie is similar to "March of the Penguins" but about king penguins rather than emperor penguins, narrated by David Attenborough rather than Morgan Freeman and IN 3D! rather than in 2D.

The theater they showed it in also serves as a lecture hall and consequently has a stage.  One little boy (about 3 years old) got up on the stage and started to walk towards the penguins until his father grabbed him and took him back to his seat.  It was cute the first time; not so much the next fifteen times.  Finally his sister (who was about five) grabbed him, yanked him off stage and kept him in a headlock throughout the rest of the film.  It was a marvelous cinema experience.

One of my best moviegoing memories is when shortly after the "Today is our independence day" speech in ID4, there were some screams, the lights of the cinema came up and there were two guys engaged in fisticuffs on the stairs.  :lol:

Admiral Yi

Watched a bit of some Spanish movie yesterday.  Javier Bardem is like a shitty knockoff goods street vendor wholesaler.  Maybe drugs too, they were speaking too goddamn fast.  Then he finds out he has cancer and will die in a couple months.

It was not as peppy and upbeat as say, La Belle Epoque.

garbon

On the final night, saw Waiting for Godot with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen. Enjoyed No Man's Land better though seeing those two do physical humor was entertaining. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Great now, I'm Jealous of Garbon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

A documentary 'The Gatekeepers', interviews 6 of the 7* Israeli Shin Bet directors.

Worth watching if you have an interest in Israel and the middle east.

* served from 1981 onwards, the one not interview had died years ago and obviously they didn't talk to the current head, in post for the last 3 years.