News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

The Great Gatsby. Very theatrical, indulgent, lush, surreal... By the same guy who did Moulin Rouge, fortunately there's considerably less singing. I liked it. Thinking on it, I feel it did well by the source material. There's a definite otherworldly unreality about the events in the novel that may not fully set in when you're reading it in print.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

I love that comparison, and it's true.  Turns out Moulin Rouge without songs is good! :D

One of these days I need to watch Australia. :hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on March 27, 2014, 11:37:13 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 27, 2014, 11:25:46 PM
2013 in review (the worst 10)

I've recently watched Confused Matthew's review of Star Trek: Into Darkness. I normally don't agree with his reviews (but watch them anyways, to get a different perspective/opinion on things), but I thought this time he was pretty spot on. The first act sets up all kinds of interesting conflicts (Kirk having to act more rational and obey orders - leading to problems when the orders are questionable, Spock realizing that following the rules all the time may hurt his friendships, Section 31 and its impact on the peaceful Federation, etc.).

But hardly any of this is really followed through for maximum impact, and instead it gets bogged down in mindless action.

Pretty much agree on that. The whole beginning of the movie is full of interesting and engaging stuff that then dissipates. Even the villain ends up defeated kinda easily.

Scipio

Quote from: celedhring on March 28, 2014, 02:29:24 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 27, 2014, 11:37:13 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 27, 2014, 11:25:46 PM
2013 in review (the worst 10)

I've recently watched Confused Matthew's review of Star Trek: Into Darkness. I normally don't agree with his reviews (but watch them anyways, to get a different perspective/opinion on things), but I thought this time he was pretty spot on. The first act sets up all kinds of interesting conflicts (Kirk having to act more rational and obey orders - leading to problems when the orders are questionable, Spock realizing that following the rules all the time may hurt his friendships, Section 31 and its impact on the peaceful Federation, etc.).

But hardly any of this is really followed through for maximum impact, and instead it gets bogged down in mindless action.

Pretty much agree on that. The whole beginning of the movie is full of interesting and engaging stuff that then dissipates. Even the villain ends up defeated kinda easily.
It's tempting to think that a competent film-maker could take all the footage and recut it into a passable film.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Josquius

I loved the beginning of Into Darkness. So wonderful to see a TOS style crazy adventure done with modern movie technology.
██████
██████
██████

Norgy

Why did we need a serialisation of From Dusk Till Dawn again?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

frunk

Quote from: Ideologue on March 28, 2014, 12:21:55 AM
Yeah, but that happens in Star Trek II as well, except it's nuanced and stuff.  Kirk fucks up bad when he lets the Reliant close in.  Spock saves everybody.  It's entirely Kirk's fault (and one wonders if, were Star Trek more realistic, he'd have faced a career setback even without the actual treason in ST:III).

It's different when they are [spoiler]reprising the same situation[/spoiler].  It's questionable if Spock would of done better than Kirk when facing the Reliant, there's no doubt that [spoiler]Into Darknesss Spock did better than ST 2 Kirk[/spoiler].

Syt

Also, ST2 for the most part follows through on its themes (aging, reconciling oneself with the past, coping with unwinnable scenarios, the need to be the one in the big chair and prove oneself, science as tool for peace and war, revenge ....), while STID seems to throw up its hands after half the movie and say, "Fuck it, can't be bothered. Here's some explosions and silly fisticuffs."

And the last half hour was really bad. [spoiler]A giant ship crashing into San Francisco causing 9/11 times 1000 (911,000?) but a few blocks away everybody carries on with their lives, Spock fighting Khan, Kirk being brought back dead ...[/spoiler]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: frunk on March 28, 2014, 07:38:23 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 28, 2014, 12:21:55 AM
Yeah, but that happens in Star Trek II as well, except it's nuanced and stuff.  Kirk fucks up bad when he lets the Reliant close in.  Spock saves everybody.  It's entirely Kirk's fault (and one wonders if, were Star Trek more realistic, he'd have faced a career setback even without the actual treason in ST:III).

It's different when they are [spoiler]reprising the same situation[/spoiler].  It's questionable if Spock would of done better than Kirk when facing the Reliant, there's no doubt that [spoiler]Into Darknesss Spock did better than ST 2 Kirk[/spoiler].

Okay, I buy it, but to what extent does that say anything about the characters, except Young Kirk sucks (which is already axiomatic)? :P
Kinemalogue

frunk

Quote from: Ideologue on March 28, 2014, 01:42:32 PM
Okay, I buy it, but to what extent does that say anything about the characters, except Young Kirk sucks (which is already axiomatic)? :P

It entertained me.  I thoroughly disliked the first reboot movie, primarily because I didn't like Kirk and thought the plot, such that it was, never even tried to make sense.  Into Darkness had many dumb plot points but at least they were strung together in a logical order.  That's all I really expect out of a Star Trek movie, so the back references were a nice bonus.

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2014, 12:43:23 PM
Anyone else very excited by Noah? :o
The last movie about Russell Crowe on a boat was amazing, so I'll give it a chance.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

celedhring

Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2014, 02:16:45 PM
The last movie about Russell Crowe on a boat was amazing, so I'll give it a chance.

Master & Commander  :wub:

Such a pity they didn't adapt a few more.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2014, 02:16:45 PM

The last movie about Russell Crowe about the end of the world was mediocre.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.