News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on March 22, 2014, 01:09:44 PM
Director of Pi, Requiem For a Dream, The Fountain, and Black Swan.  C'mon.
I hate the Fountain, but at least it's pretty. The others are great though. The Wrestler is one of my favourite films.
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2014, 12:43:23 PM
Anyone else very excited by Noah? :o

Well, not the muslims

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/mar/07/darren-aronofsky-noah-banned-muslim-countries

cause Noah is supposed to be a prophet of islam who's history and record was falsified.

also, not with the christians

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rough-seas-noah-darren-aronofsky-679315

since they choose to ignore the fact that god murders (almost) everybody and noah is a drunken wife beater.

but I'm happy with the icelandic locations they picked. It's down on the south coast near where Game of Thrones shoots and the Gerard Butler Beowulf was shot. And of course near Eyafjallajökul - y'know the volcano that stopped air traffic.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2014, 01:41:44 PM
I hate the Fountain, but at least it's pretty. The others are great though. The Wrestler is one of my favourite films.

Aye, The Fountain is probably the only weak film on that list. He's done some great stuff. Wrestler is a fantastic film.

Queequeg

Anyone else walk out of Black Swan feeling like it was The Wrester but not as good?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on March 22, 2014, 02:45:08 PM
Anyone else walk out of Black Swan feeling like it was The Wrester but not as good?

I couldn't make it to the end.  A waste of quality T&A.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on March 22, 2014, 02:45:08 PM
I liked Black Swan but in a totally different way. It's a film I always tell people to see in the cinema if they can. When I watched it it was made by the music (and the volume).
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

I still need to watch The Wrestler. -_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2014, 01:41:44 PM

I couldn't make it through the Fountain.  Boring as hell.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

I'm surprised everyone hates The Fountain.  I really adored it; the only weakness I spied was the Ponce De Leon sequences, which while thematically integrated well enough, could never stand alone as their own narrative, insofar as Rachel Weisz' book was basically garbage.  But then again it was written by a woman with super-cancer and little writing experience, and one supposes its principal meaning to Hugh Jackman is sentimental in nature rather than being wowed by its narrative or prose.

The bubbleship is neat too.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

The Ponce de Leon sequences were the best part(that I saw), it was the future bit that was too dull and dreary to take.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I thought the Fountain was interesting, especially visually. Though it's theme of man seeking to defeat death - first in superstition (old Spain and the mystical mumbo jumbo), then through science and research, and finally achieving it through transcendence - was a bit on the nose.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

I thought it looked good enough and Jackman's acting was good enough to render harmless the fact that nothing was really happening.  I mean, basically like two things happen in the entire movie iirc: Weisz dies right before Jackman can invent immortality; Jackman finally comes to terms with the transience of life as he falls into the heart of an exploding sun, while we listen to Clint Mansell tell us how we're supposed to be feeling.  I enjoyed it.

(Speaking of Clint Mansell, did anyone else think the score for Stoker was possibly his weakest all-time work?  I did.)
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on March 22, 2014, 03:10:11 PM
a bit on the nose.

I'm unfamiliar with this expression.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: YiI'm unfamiliar with this expression.

Huh.  It's very common.  I'm less surprised that an Austro-German knows it than an Iowan has never heard it.  I thought you only worked in space. :P

It means unsubtle, obvious, with connotations of being trite and/or lazy.
Kinemalogue