And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on March 21, 2014, 12:00:50 PM
Is Lost worth watching?

When Lost was going on people were raging about how awesome it was but suggested I don't watch it until the series is done.  Then once the series was done those same people were telling me not to bother.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: The Larch on March 21, 2014, 03:58:51 PM
Just watched "Grand Budapest Hotel", very entertaining and Tintinesque.

What the FUCK is this shit? :ultra:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

By which I mean you're in Spain, I'm in America, and it's an American movie that isn't out here.  That's really unfair.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Larch

It was released earlier this month in the US.

Ideologue

Not in the Real America, it wasn't.

Closest showing is Atlanta.  That's about from Seville to Almeria.
Kinemalogue

The Larch

Not my fault that you live in a cultural wasteland.  :P

Ed Anger

Still enjoying Vikings.

[spoiler]SOMEBODY IS GONNA GET A BLOOD EAGLE[/spoiler] :w00t:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2014, 11:43:57 AMYou are splitting an odd hairs here.  You could just as easily say the economy doesn't need money or electricity, people will still trade for stuff so there will still be an economy.  In the film they make it clear that the time before the purges were terrible times and that their economy has been saved because of it.  In fact the main character's wealth is creating because of the purge.  Without it, he'd not be wealthy.  The impression the film gives is that the economy needs the purge just as the Southern economy needed slaves.

but i'm splitting no hairs. yi said required, which is different from greatly benefit given the point he was making.

electricity and money is required of how the US economy operates. you take that away and whatever economy the US rebuilt after the total and catastrophic collapse would not be the current economy. it would be a new one. in the purge, the purge system reduced crime and unemployment, but it did not fundamentally alter how the economy operated. it greatly benefited the economy, but the economy does not require it to function

the second half of your post confuses the economy of one person with the economy of a nation. those are different. the purge system can be required for the wealth of an individual yet not be required for an entire nation's economy. the US economy does not require coca cola, even if some people are wealthy because of it

Razgovory

We aren't given a broad over view of the economy, just the one man, and it's made clear that he has made his money from the Purge.  Characters mentioned that everything has changed for the better because of the Purge and the policy of the New Founding Fathers.  The idea that comes across (intentionally) is that the new economy is made possible by the Purge.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2014, 05:15:52 PM
We aren't given a broad over view of the economy, just the one man, and it's made clear that he has made his money from the Purge.  Characters mentioned that everything has changed for the better because of the Purge and the policy of the New Founding Fathers.  The idea that comes across (intentionally) is that the new economy is made possible by the Purge.

it's very believable that someone would become wealthy off a new initiative that greatly benefits an economy, yes. and it's also believable that people would praise a program that has greatly benefited the economy. neither, however, evidence that the economy requires it. lowered unemployment and reduced crime also does not suggest that the purging system is required. there is no evidence that it is required. you're grasping at straws on this one

Ed Anger

I have a list of people I'd like to pickaxe in a Purge like situation.

And yes, I had the misfortune of seeing the movie.

F
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on March 21, 2014, 05:26:45 PM

it's very believable that someone would become wealthy off a new initiative that greatly benefits an economy, yes. and it's also believable that people would praise a program that has greatly benefited the economy. neither, however, evidence that the economy requires it. lowered unemployment and reduced crime also does not suggest that the purging system is required. there is no evidence that it is required. you're grasping at straws on this one

Question:  Why are you bothering me?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on March 21, 2014, 11:03:40 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 21, 2014, 09:36:09 AM
Oh, and I bought Snake Eyes. :w00t:
Why?

His broke-ass, no-furniture-owning, broke-ass ghetto ass has zero credibility when it comes to bitching about no money.  Ever.

celedhring

Quote from: LaCroix on March 21, 2014, 05:26:45 PM

The whole concept of "The Purge" is whether 12 hours of abject barbarity justify the increased prosperity. And they pick a main character that directly benefits from it as way to drive further that point. Of course in the universe of the film the Purge is "required", it's what the moral quandary of the film is about. It's a parable.

Sheilbh

Finished watching Line of Duty. If there's a better thing on British TV this year then it'll have been a very good year.

I recommend this to everyone, except Ide who may suffer occasional bouts of motion sickness :console:
Let's bomb Russia!