And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

(I.e., the "good part.")
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Finally watched the Avengers. Total meh.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on March 11, 2014, 09:14:48 AM
(I.e., the "good part.")

It actually reminded me more of Phone Booth, which has a better threaded script.

My main problem with Grand Piano's script is that in order to stretch it to the 90 minutes mark (one thing is shooting a 7 minute tour de force in an opera house - like in The Man Who Knew Too Much - and another making an entire film around it), they put a lot of filler that leads nowhere like the entire subplot with Wood's two idiot friends. The villain's plan is a bit idiotic ([spoiler]just chop off the damn piano and get the loot[/spoiler]), but that's part of the over-the-topness of the premise, I guess.

Iormlund

Heh. What were you expecting, Ed?

Quote from: celedhring on March 11, 2014, 08:53:31 AM
I love North by Northwest...

One of my favourite films. :)

Viking

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 11, 2014, 09:32:36 AM

It's better in the theatre.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Viking on March 11, 2014, 09:48:19 AM

Then I'd have to be around other people.

Viking

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 11, 2014, 09:51:35 AM
Quote from: Viking on March 11, 2014, 09:48:19 AM

Then I'd have to be around other people.

When I go to the theatre I disregard the paeons that also happen to be there, letting them bask in my munificence. Basically my attitude to the other people in the theatre is the same as Seedy's cats have towards him, disdainful tolerance. It's actually worth it for the big screen, big noise and the audience reactions reminds me which emotions I should fake when impersonating a human.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on March 11, 2014, 10:09:48 AM
Basically my attitude to the other people in the theatre is the same as Seedy's cats have towards him, disdainful tolerance.

Do you let them curl up under your arm, too?

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on March 11, 2014, 08:53:31 AM
I love North by Nortwest...

Thanks for the transatlantic goodwill  :hug:

Exactly! :D

QuoteGrand Piano is weird to me... besides one of the producers being a close friend, the guy that does the FX owes me money, and an ex-GF shows up as an extra  :lol:

Well, at $25.48 for the Blu Ray preorder, I assume he can pay you back now. <_<
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Speaking of BDs, released today: Airplane! and Airplane II: The Sequel double-feature. :w00t:

This (Airplane!) marks the first time I've upgraded from DVD to BD, unless you count the BD of Spaceballs that came with my Mel Brooks Collection, which I suppose you might as well.  I've also been itching to upgrade The Truman Show, which, in any event, has a lot more to recommend it viz. HD than Airplane!, but the main goal here was to get The Sequel, which I (perhaps alone) judge to be nearly on par with the original, and in some respects even more memorable (Shatner's cameo is frightfully hilarious).

Also got Side Effects, the Soderbergh super-thriller that has grown on me like a Goddamned fungus till, ultimately, I've had to admit it's basically perfect and really one of the very best films of 2013.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

I demand that Ideologue immediately undertake a Michael Paré Ultimate 80's Triple FeatureEddie & The Cruisers, Streets of Fire and The Philadelphia Experiment

Ed Anger

CountDeMoney

See that, Ide?  Triple dog dare.  Gotta do it now.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son