News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

It seemed really nuanced and well-observed.  Frances felt like a real person a lot more than I thought after my first, 14-minute hateviewing.  I changed my mind when she went home to Sacramento and her parent's Unitarian Church; it made complete sense, and was simultaneously very funny.  I liked how complex the relationship with Sophie was, which frequently seemed to skirt outright hatred.  Gerwig was adorable.

I went in to it initially expecting Jules et Jim 2013, which it wasn't, and actually wasn't trying to be on second viewing. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Malthus

I've never seen the movie and don't really want to: but if I did, my viewing pleasure would only be enhanced by the thought of Ide gnashing his teeth at every scene.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Queequeg

Quote from: Malthus on February 14, 2014, 10:46:42 AM
I've never seen the movie and don't really want to: but if I did, my viewing pleasure would only be enhanced by the thought of Ide gnashing his teeth at every scene.  :D
Maybe this was part of it. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Malthus

Quote from: Queequeg on February 14, 2014, 10:49:21 AM
Quote from: Malthus on February 14, 2014, 10:46:42 AM
Maybe this was part of it.

"Notice the subtlely with which the director underscores the plight of the directionless young in Western society with understated humour here ... "

"AAAAAHHHH!" [Gnash, gnash]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 13, 2014, 09:18:57 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2014, 05:30:51 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 13, 2014, 05:28:13 PM
I am pretty damned sure the dociliity has never been covered.

You would be wrong.  Michone or however you spell her name explained it when her character was first introduced.  They didnt just show her lugging those two zombies around with her with no explanation.

I just watched those episodes again recently...no explanation.

Watch season 3 again.  ;)

FunkMonk

Netflix House of Cards S2 episode 1 has the FunkMonk Seal of Approval.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

MadImmortalMan

Well I learned from that Mitt show that Charlie Crist is an enormous dickhead.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

citizen k

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 14, 2014, 12:25:07 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 13, 2014, 09:18:57 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2014, 05:30:51 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 13, 2014, 05:28:13 PM
I am pretty damned sure the dociliity has never been covered.

You would be wrong.  Michone or however you spell her name explained it when her character was first introduced.  They didnt just show her lugging those two zombies around with her with no explanation.

I just watched those episodes again recently...no explanation.

Watch season 3 again.  ;)

It's when Milton is examining Michonne's walkers after they arrived at Woodbury.

Josquius

The last ep of walking dead was rather weird with michon's zombies on leads.
The ones she had when she was first introduced- fine. After a long time she has trained them. But these she only just got, seems weird that they would go docile as soon as you remove their mouths and arms
██████
██████
██████

Phillip V

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 14, 2014, 10:13:06 PM
Netflix House of Cards S2 episode 1 has the FunkMonk Seal of Approval.
Gave me a good surprise.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on February 15, 2014, 12:38:28 AM
The last ep of walking dead was rather weird with michon's zombies on leads.
The ones she had when she was first introduced- fine. After a long time she has trained them. But these she only just got, seems weird that they would go docile as soon as you remove their mouths and arms
maybe they ain't that agressive to begin with and are just misunderstood? ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

Dead Ringers (1988).  You might think a David Cronenberg movie that features a woman with a mutant vagina and the pair of twins fucking her would involve significant body horror, but you would be wrong.  Instead, this is Cronenberg sliding into his Imploding Heads Period.  Thus, it is a bummer, although not to the extent of Crash later.  Nonetheless, we have a game dual performance by Jeremy Irons as the titular gonzo gynecologists laid low by their inability to function without and, in the end, with, each other.  It's amusing when, toward the finale and the twins are trying to jointly kick their intense addiction, his reads in both roles sound exactly like his reads for Scar.  Except they're about drugs.

B

Berberian Sound Studio (2012/2013).  One of the worst films of the year.  Many movies have made me angry this year, but this one never did: it made me feel hollow and numb instead.  Imagine if Blow Out was just John Travolta doing his job for an hour and a half, and then he had a psychotic break that went nowhere.  Berberian Sound Studio!

D, trending toward F

Monsters University (2013).  This film's got balls: Monsters University is the story of a dream that was hopeless from jump street and it doesn't lie about it, instead contextualizing its life-destroying collapse within the safe, ultimately uplifting confines of a family comedy.  It's not unpleasing to the adult palate in the first place, but it may be the most important movie your children could ever see.

B+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Queequeg on February 14, 2014, 10:44:25 AM
It seemed really nuanced and well-observed.  Frances felt like a real person a lot more than I thought after my first, 14-minute hateviewing.  I changed my mind when she went home to Sacramento and her parent's Unitarian Church; it made complete sense, and was simultaneously very funny.  I liked how complex the relationship with Sophie was, which frequently seemed to skirt outright hatred.  Gerwig was adorable.

I went in to it initially expecting Jules et Jim 2013, which it wasn't, and actually wasn't trying to be on second viewing.

Don't take this the wrong way.  I want you to live a long and happy life, but when you do die, you should be denied a Christian burial.
Kinemalogue

katmai

If gets such a Shitty grade from Ide, it must be good!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son