News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Queequeg

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 26, 2014, 10:29:13 PMbut pulp has a particular way of getting across certain truths that wouldn't work in a conventional art format.  I like a lot of pulp novelists for the same reason.
"Be careful when snorting coke off a whore's cleavage?"
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on January 26, 2014, 08:54:30 PM

Never heard of a 1984 love story version.

It was called "Brazil" and it's amazing.  :)

The Larch

The Robocop remake should be interesting, as the guy doing it, Brazilian José Padilha, is the author of "Tropa de Elite" and its sequel, two of the highest grossing and acclaimed Brazilian films of all time, about elite paramilitary police units that deal with the favelas and drug trafickers there with extreme prejudice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoaSSG6TEyQ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropa_de_Elite

You should all watch it, it's fascist-astic as only a South American with a hard on for law & order can be.

celedhring

Never underestimate Hollywood's ability to neuter daring filmmakers, Larchie:

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/ilustrada/1143933-jose-padilha-diz-que-filmar-robocop-esta-sendo-pior-experiencia-de-sua-vida.shtml

Portuguese, but you probably can figure it out being Galician.

The Larch

AFAIK Meireles denied having made those remarks.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Duque de Bragança

Perfect for Detroit, if we are to believe Savonarola.  :contract:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Kleves

The new Robocop is PG-13. It's going to be shit a la the Total Recall remake.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Kleves on January 27, 2014, 09:27:09 AM
The new Robocop is PG-13. It's going to be shit a la the Total Recall remake.

More than likely, indeed. The new Robocop looks more like a Power Ranger/Bioman with the helmet, the motorbike and jumping. :(

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on January 27, 2014, 08:47:44 AM

Still, can't see the producers being too daring with a 100m+ movie. And with a PG-13 you're guaranteed the violence won't be nowhere near Tropa de Elite rawness.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on January 27, 2014, 09:43:03 AM
Quote from: The Larch on January 27, 2014, 08:47:44 AM

Still, can't see the producers being too daring with a 100m+ movie. And with a PG-13 you're guaranteed the violence won't be nowhere near Tropa de Elite rawness.

Oh, that's for sure, don't get me wrong. Then again, it's not the level of violence that I'd be interested in, I'm no teenager, but the subtext.

The Brain

Robocop was awesome. Remake is gonna blow.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

RoboCop was an awesome, perhaps even perfect movie for what it was trying to do.

I can't imagine any real way to improve upon it, but numerous ways they could screw it up.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.