News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on January 26, 2014, 08:32:23 AM
Just watched again 13 Days. I always thought it to be a quite decent movie but how accurate a depiction of the missile crisis is it? Cold War history isn't my forte. I mean shady stuff like Costner's character telling the Crusader squadron leader to cover up any attacks against them to avoid escalation.

It's a compression of RFK's Thirteen Days, and while there was a Kenny O'Donnell as close aide to the Kennedys, Costner's activities in the movie is a composite of several different people's activities during the crisis. 

Since he was the one that actually planned the trip to Dallas, the real Kenny O'Donnell pretty much drank himself to death at a relatively young age.

If anything, I think they downplayed Clark Clifford's role within the Kennedy inner circle.

Ideologue

The Departed (2006).  Ew.  I hate cranberry juice.  A
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on January 26, 2014, 02:36:44 PM

:lol:  Now see, that's a proper review.  Clear.  Concise.  Correct.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 26, 2014, 01:07:08 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 25, 2014, 07:55:43 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 25, 2014, 06:55:20 PM
Harrelson or McConaughey's

Clearly you are the brooding atheist. :contract:

Question for the True Detective watchers: [spoiler] you think it was Cohle who accidentally killed his own daughter?  You'll notice he's said how she's "passed"--not killed--and how she was riding her bike and the road had a bend in it, nothing else as far as details go...and how the marriage fell apart afterwards.  I think that's the demon that's driving all the others for him.[/spoiler]

I thought the same, but I didn't see the 1st episode, only the 2nd, so I thought maybe there was something else there.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 26, 2014, 02:40:53 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 26, 2014, 02:36:44 PM

:lol:  Now see, that's a proper review.  Clear.  Concise.  Correct.
clearly wasn't written by Ide then.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Liep

007: Thunderball. That fight scene on the boat filmed in double speed is perhaps the worst I've ever seen.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

REally? They're remaking Robocop? :mad:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josephus on January 26, 2014, 08:45:50 PM
Not to mention the 'epic love story' version of 1984 and the sequel to It's a Wonderful Life :bleeding: :ultra:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 26, 2014, 08:50:10 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 26, 2014, 08:45:50 PM
Not to mention the 'epic love story' version of 1984 and the sequel to It's a Wonderful Life :bleeding: :ultra:

The It's a Wonderful Life sequel is a stunt that some guys are trying to pull over claiming that the original is public domain, but Paramount is denying them the rights to it. Never heard of a 1984 love story version.

The Robocop one is already made and will open shortly.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 26, 2014, 01:07:08 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 25, 2014, 07:55:43 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 25, 2014, 06:55:20 PM
Harrelson or McConaughey's

Clearly you are the brooding atheist. :contract:
Question for the True Detective watchers: [spoiler] you think it was Cohle who accidentally killed his own daughter?  You'll notice he's said how she's "passed"--not killed--and how she was riding her bike and the road had a bend in it, nothing else as far as details go...and how the marriage fell apart afterwards.  I think that's the demon that's driving all the others for him.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Maybe while drinking?  That would explain the teetotaling and the fact that he went down the crazy drug cop rabbithole.[/spoiler]
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Robocop was pulp when it first came out.  No harm done with a remake.

Ideologue

Explain exactly what is by necessity wrong with an epic love story version of 1984.

Especially since we already have a great rendition of the libertarian propaganda version of 1984.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on January 26, 2014, 09:02:20 PM
Explain exactly what is by necessity wrong with an epic love story version of 1984.

Especially since we already have a great rendition of the libertarian propaganda version of 1984.

And the fact that the great rendition of the libertarian propaganda version of 1984 was already an epic love story version to begin with.

Ideologue

I think we even saw bush.  But it's been a while since I've watched the picture.
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi