News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on January 25, 2014, 08:47:48 PM
It was my seventh favorite film of the year.
never more has that meant so little...
:P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

ANAL CREAMPIE 8

....my ninth favorite film of the year - Ide
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Well, damn, if we're counting short films...
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: katmai on January 25, 2014, 10:56:27 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 25, 2014, 08:47:48 PM
It was my seventh favorite film of the year.
never more has that meant so little...
:P

Actually it was no. 8. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Also, The Counselor is getting a twenty minute longer director's cut, out in a couple of weeks. :mmm:
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 25, 2014, 12:17:54 AM
Caught the last few minutes of Oblivion: Tom Cruise SyFy flick.  Based on what I saw I'll make an effort to see the whole thing.

Wasn't that opening in theaters like 3 months ago?

Cue The Big Bean...

Based on this rave review I decided to watch the movie.  It was okay.  Would have been better if they didn't announce there would be a big twist in the first five minutes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 25, 2014, 07:55:43 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 25, 2014, 06:55:20 PM
Harrelson or McConaughey's

Clearly you are the brooding atheist. :contract:

Question for the True Detective watchers: [spoiler] you think it was Cohle who accidentally killed his own daughter?  You'll notice he's said how she's "passed"--not killed--and how she was riding her bike and the road had a bend in it, nothing else as far as details go...and how the marriage fell apart afterwards.  I think that's the demon that's driving all the others for him.[/spoiler]

Eddie Teach

I was wondering the same thing. Probably was, though some writers get off on fake foreshadowing.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

I hadn't contemplated that possibility.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 26, 2014, 01:13:00 AM
I was wondering the same thing. Probably was, though some writers get off on fake foreshadowing.

[spoiler]Betcha he did it while he was drunk, too.[/spoiler]

Although, I took umbrage with Hart's comment: "Past a certain age, a man without a family can be a bad thing."

Eat me.

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on January 26, 2014, 12:10:30 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 25, 2014, 12:17:54 AM
Caught the last few minutes of Oblivion: Tom Cruise SyFy flick.  Based on what I saw I'll make an effort to see the whole thing.

Wasn't that opening in theaters like 3 months ago?

Cue The Big Bean...

Based on this rave review I decided to watch the movie.  It was okay.  Would have been better if they didn't announce there would be a big twist in the first five minutes.
From the trailers and promo material and all that it was obvious that there would be a twist in that Cruise would turn against his guys to join up with the actually human rebels.
I found the actual twist to be pretty unexpected though.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

My Dad was born in '49 so like most men who grew up at that time he loves cowboy movies.

He just saw the new Lone Ranger.

"They made a mockery of my Lone Ranger!"
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Just watched again 13 Days. I always thought it to be a quite decent movie but how accurate a depiction of the missile crisis is it? Cold War history isn't my forte. I mean shady stuff like Costner's character telling the Crusader squadron leader to cover up any attacks against them to avoid escalation.

The Brain

Treason was common back then.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 24, 2014, 08:24:48 PM
You're making a BBC documentary on the topic of Western civilisation - art, architecture and thought since the Dark Ages. What do you pick and which would you emphasise?

Thinking briefly I imagine I'd spend a lot of time in the Low Countries, Germany and Italy. And it's a personal view so I could skate over neoclassicism which I don't like and spend an entire episode or two on the Baroque, which I love.

The show's worth watching though, as is Shock of the New and I remember reading that Clark's grandiose and high conservative style prompted the BBC to also commission a look at Western art from a Marxist perspective :lol:

:lol:

I learned a great deal from the series because Clark focused so much on the German Baroque; which I am unfamiliar with.  I am familiar with the French Neo-Classicism and probably wouldn't have learned much had he covered that in greater depth.

If it had been my series I would have focused more on music, theater and literature than Clark (who focuses mostly on architecture and painting.)  I would have included Spain at regular intervals and I would have made a brief mention of the Manueline in Portugal in the Gothic episode.  I would have included an explanation of the transition from Byzantine to Italian Renaissance rather than letting the audience think Cimabue and Giotto sprung from the earth and painting began.

All said, though, it was a very interesting series.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock