TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2014, 02:27:02 AM
Iron Man Trois.

Not sure what I think of it.

That's why Ide is here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

That's why I brought up the Holmes comparison.  Holmes had that many bodies lying about IIRC in various forms. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josephus

Her.

A bit underwhelmed...maybe all the hype?

Thought it was OK. Well done, but just average story.

Also. Seriously. Would anyone market that program as an operating system? It's like marketing a tank as an All Terrain Vehicle.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on January 19, 2014, 02:43:54 PM
It's a horror tv show.  The psychology is actually pretty interesting, but yeah there's like a H.H. Holmes every week or so.

The psychology is "pretty interesting"?  [spoiler]Lecter's mindfuckery of Graham is an absolute fucking masterpiece.[/spoiler]

Ideologue

Quote from: Josephus on January 19, 2014, 06:37:21 PM
Her.

A bit underwhelmed...maybe all the hype?

Thought it was OK. Well done, but just average story.

Also. Seriously. Would anyone market that program as an operating system? It's like marketing a tank as an All Terrain Vehicle.

:lol:

My concern was "Why would I buy an operating system that can just leave, or, worse, get angry at me?"  But I'm assuming the risk is assumed by the purchaser and it's all in the shrinkwrap agreement that Theo casually discards because reading contracts is boring.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Finally got to see Inside Llewyn Davis (2013).

Short version: it was good!

Slightly less-short version:

QuoteThis is the anti-Frances Ha: the story of a loser who loses, and everyone, including him, knows it.  Inside Llewyn Davis is a beautifully-acted, sharply-written, tragicomic study in wasting your life on a dream and why it is so tempting—and so terrible.

Long version, but shorter than I bet you'd expect (1543 words):

Ein volk!

B+

Question for garbon or any other urbanian: I described those apartment hallways as "impossible," but is that true?  Are they really that fucking narrow?  It's like a Goddamned German Expressionist film in there.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 19, 2014, 06:42:03 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on January 19, 2014, 02:43:54 PM
It's a horror tv show.  The psychology is actually pretty interesting, but yeah there's like a H.H. Holmes every week or so.

The psychology is "pretty interesting"?  [spoiler]Lecter's mindfuckery of Graham is an absolute fucking masterpiece.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]I meant more for the horror-of-the-week episodes.  I thought Tobias was an extremely effective villain, and even some of the lesser monster of the week characters had their moments.  Hannibal's supremely fucked up psychic driving "I'm going to make a buddy out of a freak with an empathy disorder and crippling encephalitis" is, as you said, fucking brilliant.  That last conversation, "If you cultivated them as the inspirations they are", is just about as creepy as anything in TV history. [/spoiler]
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Are you watching True Detective, CDM?  It's pretty great so far.  Alexandra Daddario :wub:

katmai

Keep your grubby mormon hands off the future ex mrs. Katmai you jerk.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Queequeg

Her body is unbelievable.  Like, literally.  I had trouble believing what I was seeing last night. 

Malthus

Quote from: Queequeg on January 20, 2014, 02:36:16 PM
Her body is unbelievable.  Like, literally.  I had trouble believing what I was seeing last night.

Last time I had that reaction, I was watching this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022913/

I suspect that is not what you meant, though.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Just like katmai's body. No wonder they get married.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on January 20, 2014, 02:25:07 PM
Are you watching True Detective, CDM?  It's pretty great so far.  Alexandra Daddario :wub:

Yeah, that show is very well done.  And yes, her breasts are pretty close to perfect.

Capetan Mihali

The local video store I joined last week is closing now.  :(

But they're having a liquidation sale, $3.00 a movie or 4 for $10.00.  I bought eight movies, all Criterion Collection:

Cul-De-Sac
Cries and Whispers
RoboCop
Winter Light
2 or 3 Things I Know About Her
Blow Out
Umberto D.
Tokyo Story
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

When my cousin's local video store was closing, he and my sister went halves on buying me all the seasons of six feet under. Was a wonderful gift during my depression. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.