News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Hey, Sav, I finally "remembered" (I happened across a review by accident) of that pre-Code sex film I was talking about.  It's none other than your main man Lubitsch's Design For Living.  It's about, as Kevin Smith would put it, an extended game of Chinese finger cuffs.  But I'm sure you know that.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

I want to punch you in the balls Ide.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

The Right Stuff (1983).  It's fucking great!  TAKE THAT TAXPAYERS! A
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on January 18, 2014, 06:47:08 PM
The Right Stuff (1983).  It's fucking great!  TAKE THAT TAXPAYERS! A

Even a broken Millennial is right once in a while.   Good for you, kid.  Here's some Ritalin.  Don't sell it.

Ideologue

Ritalin's for olds.  It's Adderall these days.  Frankly, I'd be a better person if I were hopped up on dextroamphetamines all day.  Add an effective antidepressant and antianxiety medication and those myostatin inhibitors that'll be coming down the pipe anytime soon, and I'd be right as rain.

Also a PPAR-gamma agonist would be pretty rad for those days where I eat nothing but cookies.  Not rosiglitazone, it makes your heart explode.

Sorry for horning in on your schtick, Mihali. -_-
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

Now I feel bad for wanting to punch you in the balls.

Ideologue

Was it for the B+ for Spring Breakers or the Kevin Smith reference, anyway?  Both?  Both is possible.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 18, 2014, 06:58:41 PM

Don't worry;  for every Right Stuff he gets correct, he'll drop a B+ on Grown Ups 2.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on January 18, 2014, 07:00:22 PM
Was it for the B+ for Spring Breakers or the Kevin Smith reference, anyway?  Both?  Both is possible.

Spring Breakers. Awful, awful movie.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 18, 2014, 07:00:53 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 18, 2014, 06:58:41 PM

Don't worry;  for every Right Stuff he gets correct, he'll drop a B+ on Grown Ups 2.

That seems extremely unlikely.

Quote from: Ed AngerSpring Breakers. Awful, awful movie.

Not for everybody.  Though I figured you were the target audience: you enjoy the prurient experience of watching nubile young things get mostly naked, yet you hate young people.  I mean, what was it?  Did you feel pandered to? :P
Kinemalogue

celedhring

Spring Breakers has popped up in several "Best of 2013" lists. I don't think it completely works, but it's an interesting film. Plus it has hot drunken chicks in bikini.

Ed Anger

I loathe james Franco. I like naked girls. I loathe james Franco fellating a pistol. I like....nothing else about this movie

I felt greasy after watching it. Then I took my wife's movie picking powers away.

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on January 18, 2014, 07:10:29 PM
Spring Breakers has popped up in several "Best of 2013" lists. I don't think it completely works, but it's an interesting film. Plus it has hot drunken chicks in bikini.

Indeed.  Part of the reason why I needed to watch it--it's one of the last American "important" narrative films of 2013 that I hadn't already caught.  The remaining two are the Coens' Inside Llewyn Davis, All Is Lost with Robert Redford, and arguably (in terms of importance, but it was a big movie) Prisoners, which is about Wolverine beating up a retarded guy.

Did you find SB as abhorrently right-wing as I did?

Quote from: MBI loathe james Franco. I like naked girls. I loathe james Franco fellating a pistol. I like....nothing else about this movie

I felt greasy after watching it. Then I took my wife's movie picking powers away.

Fair enough.  I like James Franco, but he's an odd duck.
Kinemalogue

celedhring

Anyway, just watched a terrible Keanu Reeves film on the telly: The Watcher. It's an awful 90s psycho-thriller where he plays a serial killer chased by James Spader. Anyway the most interesting bit of the film is something I found on the wiki:

QuoteReeves has stated that he was not interested in the script but was forced into doing the film when a friend forged his signature on a contract. He performed the role rather than get involved in a lengthy legal battle. He was contractually prevented from disclosing this until twelve months after the film's US release

CountDeMoney

I don't get the James Franco hate.  I mean, it's not like we're being overdosed by him to such a degree and with such severity as we were in previous eras, such as the Age of Colin Farrell or, more recently, the Ryan Reynolds Phase or Ryan Gosling Era.