News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I've been watching a lot of films lately :hmm:

John Carter- Not as bad as the general concensus says, but nowhere near as good as the vocal minority says. Its so-so. I really do have to question what on earth they were thinking in giving it the go ahead.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: Tyr on January 04, 2014, 09:58:37 AM
I've been watching a lot of films lately :hmm:

John Carter- Not as bad as the general concensus says, but nowhere near as good as the vocal minority says. Its so-so. I really do have to question what on earth they were thinking in giving it the go ahead.

Andrew Stanton had made Disney a literal billion dollars (plus). And he wouldve
Gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling young adults, and their shitty book adaptation.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Kleves

A Bridge Too Far. They don't make movies like this anymore.  :(
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: viper37 on January 03, 2014, 11:30:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 03, 2014, 01:59:21 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 03, 2014, 01:36:39 PM
Is there any behind the scenes explanation why Cpt. Picard prefers to drink tea? Was it an inside joke about Arthur Dent's futile quest for tea in HHGTG (where the nutrimatic was unable to replicate it)?

Memory Alpha (which of COURSE has an entry for Earl Grey tea) lists no particular reason.

I would think the simplest answer is that since Patrick Stewart is an englishman it just made sense for him to drink tea.

What I always found inexplicable is why they'd hire a talented Shakespearean actor like Stewart, complete with English accent, and make his character French.  I mean - why not have him be Cpt. John Picard from, I dunno, Sussex?

It was done to emphasize the fact that Earth is united under one rule.  One planet, one people, one culture, one language.  After World War III and the various problems, the Earth moved under one rule, eliminated all lawyers, poverty, money, cultural distinction, etc.  I'm not even sure people of the Federation believe in any gods, individually speaking.

The Federation in itself is multicultural/multiethnic, but most planets are mono-cultural.  I'm not aware of any tensions between any colonies and their homeworld anywhere in the races we know.  Except for the Maquis, all is well.
Very bland in other words. That's why I liked Babylon 5's more fractious universe better.  People acted like people rather than white bread caricatures.
PDH!

Admiral Yi

Why are so many people seeing John Carter just now?  :hmm:

Syt

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 04, 2014, 12:54:50 PM
Very bland in other words. That's why I liked Babylon 5's more fractious universe better.  People acted like people rather than white bread caricatures.

That's why DS9 is so great, exploring the darker sides and other results from Roddenberry's ideal (see above linked video clip). I like B5 still better than DS9, but the latter has become my favorite Trek series (even though TNG is the better traditional sci-fi series).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Kleves on January 04, 2014, 12:16:57 PM

Always a rip roaring time. Encapsulates the Brit, a glorious failure, but valiant in the attempt.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

My Dad watched that movie once a month.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 04, 2014, 02:23:28 PM
Why are so many people seeing John Carter just now?  :hmm:
they read ide's review?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

Quote from: Syt on January 04, 2014, 03:09:33 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 04, 2014, 12:54:50 PM

That's why DS9 is so great, exploring the darker sides and other results from Roddenberry's ideal (see above linked video clip). I like B5 still better than DS9, but the latter has become my favorite Trek series (even though TNG is the better traditional sci-fi series).
Yeah, DS9 is a step in the right direction.  I'm gonna rewatch B5 soon, see how it olds up.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on January 04, 2014, 03:24:39 PM
Quote from: Kleves on January 04, 2014, 12:16:57 PM

Always a rip roaring time. Encapsulates the Brit, a glorious failure, but valiant in the attempt.

I get a little teary when Viktor Grabner does the deathride.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive