News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Is there any behind the scenes explanation why Cpt. Picard prefers to drink tea? Was it an inside joke about Arthur Dent's futile quest for tea in HHGTG (where the nutrimatic was unable to replicate it)?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on January 03, 2014, 01:36:39 PM
Is there any behind the scenes explanation why Cpt. Picard prefers to drink tea? Was it an inside joke about Arthur Dent's futile quest for tea in HHGTG (where the nutrimatic was unable to replicate it)?

Memory Alpha (which of COURSE has an entry for Earl Grey tea) lists no particular reason.

I would think the simplest answer is that since Patrick Stewart is an englishman it just made sense for him to drink tea.

What I always found inexplicable is why they'd hire a talented Shakespearean actor like Stewart, complete with English accent, and make his character French.  I mean - why not have him be Cpt. John Picard from, I dunno, Sussex?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

His family speaks British English, too. In one episode Data refers to French as an "obscure language", so maybe it's not widely spoken anymore?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

I haven't watched TNG for a long time, but I do recall Picard throwing out the odd French word or phrase, typically on the rare occasions he talked about his home or childhood.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on January 03, 2014, 01:59:21 PM
What I always found inexplicable is why they'd hire a talented Shakespearean actor like Stewart, complete with English accent, and make his character French.  I mean - why not have him be Cpt. John Picard from, I dunno, Sussex?

Sense it makes not.

Josephus

I think, though, Picard was meant to be, you know, cultured, educated, and all that. He couldn't be that and British.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Lost In Translation. Again.

Scarlett :wub:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Kleves

Quote from: Berkut on January 02, 2014, 01:54:38 AM
Any good though? It is on my radar...
Whatever the film's faults, it is Scorsese and DiCaprio, and so it is good enough to be worth seeing.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on January 03, 2014, 01:59:21 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 03, 2014, 01:36:39 PM

Memory Alpha (which of COURSE has an entry for Earl Grey tea) lists no particular reason.

I would think the simplest answer is that since Patrick Stewart is an englishman it just made sense for him to drink tea.

It was done to emphasize the fact that Earth is united under one rule.  One planet, one people, one culture, one language.  After World War III and the various problems, the Earth moved under one rule, eliminated all lawyers, poverty, money, cultural distinction, etc.  I'm not even sure people of the Federation believe in any gods, individually speaking.

The Federation in itself is multicultural/multiethnic, but most planets are mono-cultural.  I'm not aware of any tensions between any colonies and their homeworld anywhere in the races we know.  Except for the Maquis, all is well.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

I wish memory alpha had more stuff on production decisions rather than nonsense gleaned from semi canon novels.

What's wrong with liking tea? Tea drinking isn't a peculiarly british thing, they have tea in most countries.

Picard being French was odd. But I always took it to be underlining how effective universal translators are. He is actually speaking upper class French and this comes across to our ears as upper class English.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tyr on January 03, 2014, 11:35:55 PM
I wish memory alpha had more stuff on production decisions rather than nonsense gleaned from semi canon novels.

What's wrong with liking tea? Tea drinking isn't a peculiarly british thing, they have tea in most countries.

Picard being French was odd. But I always took it to be underlining how effective universal translators are. He is actually speaking upper class French and this comes across to our ears as upper class English.

http://leethomson.myzen.co.uk/Star_Trek/2_The_Next_Generation/Star_Trek_-_The_Next_Generation_Bible.pdf

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on January 03, 2014, 11:35:55 PM

The novels are talked about on memory beta
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

About Time- The poshest film I've seen for some time. It really is sickeningly posh. Its like something from another time.
Guy finds out people in his family can travel back in time. Hijinks ensue. Schmoltz emerges to weigh down the hijinks.
Pretty good. Though the way they feed the schmoltz wagon at the end by breaking one of the big rules they establish halfway through the film rankles.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on January 04, 2014, 06:23:59 AM
About Time- The poshest film I've seen for some time. It really is sickeningly posh. Its like something from another time.
Guy finds out people in his family can travel back in time. Hijinks ensue. Schmoltz emerges to weigh down the hijinks.
Pretty good. Though the way they feed the schmoltz wagon at the end by breaking one of the big rules they establish halfway through the film rankles.

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.