News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on December 13, 2013, 02:19:33 AM
Finally making the last push to finish off the X-files 9th season.  Scully uses the same internet handle as Spellus, which is kind of weird.
It's a reference to her dead dog, and Moby-Dick. I think her dad called her Starbuck.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

I know that, it's still kinda weird.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

The fact he knew it and copied her makes it weird.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

The Desolation of Smaug.  I'm growing to hate you, Peter Jackson.  I really am.  You nose dived in each successive Lord of the Rings movie, took another big dive in An Unexpected Journey, and now you have further fallen with this movie.  You've added your love of inane childish humor in larger and larger doses, deviated further and further from the source material, and now have decided to just create a summer popcorn flick instead of an actual effort at filming The Hobbit.  I had such incredibly high hopes after Fellowship, despite the axing of the barrow downs and Tom Bombadil, and now that hope is despair as I wait another year to see how you extricate yourself from this mess you've put onto the screen and given the name of The Hobbit to.  I will admit though, you have a fantastic eye for visually pleasing cinema and a great crew of actors and assistants who make your films fantastic eye candy at the very least.  C-

I reserve the right to amend my thoughts upon further viewings and the release of the Extended Edition. ;)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on December 12, 2013, 01:20:06 AM
But Dickens somehow makes the episode.  It's set at Christmas, so subtly echoes A Christmas Carol, yet the last comment that Dickens is soon to die gives it a poignancy that was well done.
It helps that Dickens is played by Simon Callow who's been doing a Dickens one man show for years.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on December 13, 2013, 04:43:23 AM
and Tom Bombadil,

Pfft, snooze.  45 pages of hanging out with Timothy Leary?  Big deal.  I didn't miss it.

crazy canuck

The Desolation of Smaug.  and now have decided to just create a summer popcorn flick instead of an actual effort at filming The Hobbit.

I heard a reviewer this morning say he was going back to his B movie roots with this one.

Syt

I would watch a Meet the Feebles version of LotR.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Lubitsch in Berlin

This documentary covers the early part of Ernst Lubitsch's career.  Lubitsch began as a stage actor and then started appearing in German silent comedies.  (A number of the pretentious film critics that are inevitably in this sort of documentary compared Lubitsch to Charlie Chaplin :bowler:.  From the clips they showed he was actually a nice thick slice of kosher ham.)  His big break, strangely enough, came because World War I broke out, and Germany could no longer receive foreign movies.  His comedies were initially banned at the start of the war, due to the somber mood, but that was quickly reversed as moviegoers really needed a laugh.  So he had a captive audience and a popular genre.

He did direct in other genre when in Germany; but even in that era his best known works are his comedies.  He even has some elements of expressionism in his very last German films; but didn't carry that over in his American films.  He left for America in 1922 and returned to Germany only three times all before 1935 (after which, as a Jew, he couldn't return.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

I reserve the right to amend my thoughts upon further viewings and the release of the Extended Edition. ;)
First, people complain it's too long, they can't understand how he can make 3 movies with the Hobbit, wich was basically a kid's book.
Then they complain it's childish and it's too short.

I can't understand critics ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 12, 2013, 07:27:02 PM
On the DVR:

Dungeons and Dragons: Book of Vile Darkness

Tonight, I will savor every awful direct to DVD morsel of this "film".

Totally awful. I await the next one, D&D: Bag of Holding.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: viper37 on December 13, 2013, 04:07:32 PM
First, people complain it's too long, they can't understand how he can make 3 movies with the Hobbit, wich was basically a kid's book.
Then they complain it's childish and it's too short.

I can't understand critics ;)
I don't really have a problem with the lengths of the movies, just with the increasing liberties taken with the storyline.  It's gotten to the point where it can almost be called The Desolation of Smaug: A Movie Inspired by The Hobbit.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

katmai

Hobbit part II

I liked it, BA is just grumpy.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 13, 2013, 12:27:32 PM
The Desolation of Smaug.  and now have decided to just create a summer popcorn flick instead of an actual effort at filming The Hobbit.

I heard a reviewer this morning say he was going back to his B movie roots with this one.
:mmm:

I liked the first Hobbit. Like the books I think I prefer the Hobbit to Lord of the Rings precisely because it's a little less serious.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Ide refuses to accept that standards of beauty were different in the 1930s.  He's silly.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.