And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 11, 2013, 01:48:23 PM
Hardly Innovative tho.

Hannibal is just another NCIS with a canibal character.

Don't know anything about Dracula.

:wacko:

Hannibal is nothing like NCIS.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 11, 2013, 02:15:33 PM

No kidding.  :lol:  Maybe he's losing it between the subtitles and not watching it.

Grey Fox

All Crime shows & Cops shows are NCIS-a-like. :zzz

but Seedy is right, I've only ever watch episode 2 or 3 (or 5). Just one, not the 1st one.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Closest comparison I can think of would be Twin Peaks.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 11, 2013, 02:48:20 PM
All Crime shows & Cops shows are NCIS-a-like. :zzz

No. NCIS copied other shows.  :rolleyes:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 11, 2013, 02:15:33 PM
Hardly Innovative tho.

Don't know anything about Dracula.

:yes:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Queequeg

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 11, 2013, 03:23:50 PM
Closest comparison I can think of would be Twin Peaks.
I think there's some X-Files DNA in there, but that's in part due to Silence of the Lambs' influence on the X-Files.  They've cast Gillian Anderson and Lance Henriksen, though.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Hannibal might be my favorite show in 2-3 years.  I like it more than The Americans, which seems almost impossible given that The Americans is fantastic and about as tailor-made for me as any television show in human history.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Savonarola

The Doll (1919)

Ernst Lubitsch film about a shy young man who marries a life sized doll in order to gain an inheritance.  In his village there's a doll maker who makes life sized mechanical dolls for "Bachelors, widowers and misogynists."  (Targeted advertisement for Languish if there ever was one.)  Anyhow right before the man carts off his doll the apprentice breaks it.  The doll maker's daughter (who was the model for the doll) impersonates the doll.  Hilarity ensues.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

You should watch all the episodes, it's totally different.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on December 11, 2013, 04:59:06 PM
The Doll (1919)

Ernst Lubitsch film about a shy young man who marries a life sized doll in order to gain an inheritance.  In his village there's a doll maker who makes life sized mechanical dolls for "Bachelors, widowers and misogynists."  (Targeted advertisement for Languish if there ever was one.)  Anyhow right before the man carts off his doll the apprentice breaks it.  The doll maker's daughter (who was the model for the doll) impersonates the doll.  Hilarity ensues.

I'm not a widower. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Capetan Mihali

The Doll (1919)

Sounds like the comedic double of the E.T.A. Hoffmann "Sandman" tale that Freud derives "the uncanny" from...  :hmm:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Savonarola

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 11, 2013, 06:36:51 PM
The Doll (1919)

Sounds like the comedic double of the E.T.A. Hoffmann "Sandman" tale that Freud derives "the uncanny" from...  :hmm:

I think it's actually based on "The Doll" by Hoffmann.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 11, 2013, 12:52:08 PM
Godzilla trailer is out, not sure what to think. I guess I just hope it does not suck.
The original teaser was better I think. The studio keeps deleting it from the internet though. <_<
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

The Doll (1919)

SPIKE JONZE IS SO CREATIVE

Anyway, this sounds mighty cool.  This is the kind of thing I was talking about when I was asking for early utopian science fiction, you know. :D
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)