News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

I think if I need to talk to malcontents and provacateurs on the Internet, I've got a place to do that.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

The review's style is really similar to yours, plus there's a nonsensical court scene of bees suing global agribusiness, you'd love it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

I said I'd read it.  But all I can see is some awesome trailer for a movie about a lady with a laser eye.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

A Somethingawful account? How mid-00s.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

Just breezed through the first five episodes of Almost Human.  I quite enjoyed it, which is rather good seeing as how I'll be needing replacement tv entertainment.  BBC has apparently killed Ripper Street, making them awful at life when combined with their earlier cancelling of Copper.  Bastards.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josquius

Watched the first two episodes of The Americans. Very silly in a Homeland vein but seems more self-aware about its silliness than Homeland, which I stopped watching long ago.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Watched the Finnish/Russian film "9th Company" last night.  Enjoyed parts of it.  Had a feeling they were exaggerating the battle at the end and turns out I was right. 

I really wanted to like it-- the vehicles, uniforms, equipment all looked great-- but poorly shot/edited action sequences and the annoying Hollywood-ish gasoline explosions canceled a lot of that out.  The first part of the film drags on without really developing the characters that much IMO.  Picks up a bit when they get to Afghanistan, but there are a lot of predictable moments.

It's too bad-- I think the Soviet experience in Afghanistan is fertile ground for some excellent war films.  But this one just wasn't it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

viper37

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on December 11, 2013, 04:52:45 AM
Just breezed through the first five episodes of Almost Human.  I quite enjoyed it, which is rather good seeing as how I'll be needing replacement tv entertainment.  BBC has apparently killed Ripper Street, making them awful at life when combined with their earlier cancelling of Copper.  Bastards.

It's nice, but there's nothing original.

of note:
- The robot who isn't supposed to display emotions but can feel them isn't actually much different than a human.  In fact, the banter between the two is very similar to Hawaii 5-0.
- There are episodes about an hostage crisis, a damsel in distress, a prostitution ring, etc, etc, all I have seen before.
- A detective who seems useless outside of the office.
- A weird science nerd (now, where did we see that again?  NCIS, NCIS:LA, Hawaii 5-0, all of the above? :) ).

I am disapointed that JJ Abrams' team hasn't done something much more original.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Yeah, I have to say that they haven't done much with the concept. Pretty generic cop show at the moment.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

It's on broadcast TV, it was baseless to expect anything else.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 11, 2013, 11:23:03 AM

Not really.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Godzilla trailer is out, not sure what to think. I guess I just hope it does not suck.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 11, 2013, 11:23:03 AM
Hannibal and Dracula are ok.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Hardly Innovative tho.

Hannibal is just another NCIS with a canibal character.

Don't know anything about Dracula.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.