News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Mulan and Tarzan are the biggest reaches.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

Trying to remember if Mulan was one of the Princesses in Kingdom Hearts.  I know there was a Tarzan world. 
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 10, 2013, 05:10:17 PM
Trying to remember if Mulan was one of the Princesses in Kingdom Hearts.  I know there was a Tarzan world.
Mulan is not a princess by birth or marriage, but a mere member of the nobility.  :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Beautiful Creatures. Watchable, but definitely a case of slumming for Irons and Thompson.

Queequeg

Why were critics so harsh on Dredd? The positive opinion on here seems almost unanimous, including myself.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Habbaku

Quote from: Queequeg on December 10, 2013, 07:19:03 PM
Why were critics so harsh on Dredd? The positive opinion on here seems almost unanimous, including myself.

:huh:  They weren't?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

Quote from: Habbaku on December 10, 2013, 07:28:04 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on December 10, 2013, 07:19:03 PM

:huh:  They weren't?

Yeah, 78% on RT.  Not great by any stretch--at least 22% of critics can be counted on to be dumb as rocks at any given time, it seems--but not bad.

Quote from: Eddie TeachMulan and Tarzan are the biggest reaches.

Agree on Mulan.  It's practically an entirely different issue (it's more about social dysfunction, like Aladdin, with its tale of class treason).  I included it mainly for the sake of completeness.

Tarzan, however, is absolutely about Tarzan's discomfort with his own body due to how he's treated by the other apes.  It's not until he meets Jane and the rest that he even realizes that he's not a disfigured gorilla; he'd been under the impression that he was a mutant.  If the resolution to his dysmorphia is simple, it's only because the root problem is simple: he was physically perfect all along (unlike, say, Beast or Ariel), and thus it's more of a pure Ugly Duckling story than any other Disney film touching on body issues.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 10, 2013, 05:17:48 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 10, 2013, 05:10:17 PM
Mulan is not a princess by birth or marriage, but a mere member of the nobility.  :mad:
:weep:

Kingdom Hearts.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

A kid getting his head caught in a window and some highly distorted music that Syt probably listens to? Yeah that sounds like one of Ide's reviews alright.

Ideologue

Can't see it.  Am not a goon.  Summary or text?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 11, 2013, 12:38:47 AM
A kid getting his head caught in a window and some highly distorted music that Syt probably listens to? Yeah that sounds like one of Ide's reviews alright.
Wha..? :unsure:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Btw, which is the better pun, "A deep penetrating dive into the plasma pool" or "Long live the new fish"?
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 11, 2013, 12:41:06 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 11, 2013, 12:38:47 AM
Wha..? :unsure:

Log out of your somethingawful account and reload page.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point