News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on November 17, 2013, 10:33:28 PM
I am often unfairly accused of being pro-anorexia, fining concentration camp inmates attractive, and the like.

Sigh.  You're never going to be able to fine them attractive, Ide; you of all people should understand what it means to be "judgment-proof."
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

Ide keeps pulling out the Timmays in this thread. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on November 17, 2013, 10:33:28 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on November 17, 2013, 12:25:26 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 17, 2013, 12:54:38 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on November 16, 2013, 08:01:34 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 16, 2013, 12:44:33 PM
Also, Jean Renoir's wife was hot.  She's long dead now, of course.

I think the 1920s would have been your era for starlets.

Is this a malnutrition joke? :(

I think I've missed a Languish inside joke.  :unsure:

I am often unfairly accused of being pro-anorexia, fining concentration camp inmates attractive, and the like.
For God's sake they're in a concentration camp already and you're going to fine them on top of that!?

You monster!  :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

I'm not used to typing with the keyboard on the floor.  I've got my computer hooked up to my TV. -_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2013, 12:27:17 AM
I'm not used to typing with the keyboard on the floor.  I've got my computer hooked up to my TV. -_-

You know what solved that issue for me? A coffee table.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Furniture?!? Are you mad man?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Furniture is for pussies.

Ideologue

Garbon: still mad because of all those times I cracked on his Kindle typos.  I'm sorry. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Watched 12 Years a Slave, Rope again, and the first episode of New Girl with Greece.  Greece gave Rope a B.  She's intellectually inferior.  Also New Girl, while featuring a hot autistic woman out of whom the brains I would readily fuck, appears to be mired in gender stereotyping from approximately 1985; the pilot is probably a B for being passably funny, but maintains a simultaneous, almost offensive misogynist and misandrist bent.  It has some believability problems when it pretends that Zooey Deschanel isn't a 9 or 10.

In addition, I watched Phantom, the Soviet submarine flop from earlier this year starring Ed Harris (Captain Ed Harris), William Fichtner (Commander William Fichtner), and David Duchovny (evil rogue Soviet villain).  It got bad reviews, but it's really better than fine, featuring two great ideas.  [spoiler]The first of these is that the evil rogue Soviets against whom Ed Harris must battle want to undertake a nuclear false flag operation to start a war between the US and China.  The second of these is that Ed Harris figures out that there's an evil plot because the super-science gadget, which permits the operation, is a device of such profound importance that his character, a career fuck-up and killer of his own men, given a command solely due to nepotism and ass-covering, would never, ever be entrusted with it.  [/spoiler]It's not great overall, but I liked it a fair bit, despite the submarine battles looking like underwater Babylon 5.  It may also be highly technically inaccurate; the Phantom device seems a little bullshitty, but I have no idea.

12 Years a Slave is right on the line between an A and A+.  Phantom between B and B+.  I'll decide later when I write 'em up.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2013, 12:39:39 AM
Garbon: still mad because of all those times I cracked on his Kindle typos.  I'm sorry. :(

You did what now? :unsure:

Ideologue

Remember a while back when you were misspelling every fifth word due to your tablet?  Maybe you don't.  Well, I certainly found it amusing at the time. :P
Kinemalogue

Habbaku

That was a pretty rough TWD episode.  And not in a good way. That stupid twisted-ankle, horror-movie cliche bullshit near the end almost made me lose my patience with the show.  What a cheap shit trick to pull amid a series of cheap shit tricks the show has pulled.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2013, 01:00:12 AM
Also New Girl, ... the pilot is probably a B for being passably funny,

But it wasn't funny at all. They could have just skipped the jokes altogether and just had 22 minutes of Zooey Deschanel being adorable and it would have been a better show.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Walking Dead......I see what they tried to do but made for a boring show.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011