News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Slumming through Netflix Instant I hit upon an unusual pair of movies, Cheerleader Ninjas (2002) and Ninja Cheerleaders (2008).  I think the names are actually reversed, as CN is closer to a movie about cheerleaders rooting for Ninjas, and NC focuses on the struggles of cheerleading ninjas working as go-go dancers at night, desperately trying to get into Brown.

CN isn't low budget, it's no budget.  Overall lousy and the intentional cheeseball act doesn't make it funny.  Skip unless you are looking for substandard TnA. 

NC looks like it had a decent budget, and features George Takei in his most awesome role ever.  I can't remember him ever playing a pimp daddy sensei owner of a strip club, but there's hints of a sequel that I hope gets made just so I can see him play one again.  The rest of the cast is fairly forgettable except for the mob boss.  The other notable feature of the movie is the weirdest transition segments ever.  They consisted of quick cuts of some combination of the NC being cheerleady, ninjaey, Takei pulling moves, or a Caliga approved stripper who doesn't appear anywhere else in the movie.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: frunk on November 11, 2013, 04:25:45 PM
Slumming through Netflix Instant I hit upon an unusual pair of movies, Cheerleader Ninjas (2002) and Ninja Cheerleaders (2008).  I think the names are actually reversed, as CN is closer to a movie about cheerleaders rooting for Ninjas, and NC focuses on the struggles of cheerleading ninjas working as go-go dancers at night, desperately trying to get into Brown.
NC looks like it had a decent budget, and features George Takei in his most awesome role ever.  I can't remember him ever playing a pimp daddy sensei owner of a strip club, but there's hints of a sequel that I hope gets made just so I can see him play one again.  The rest of the cast is fairly forgettable except for the mob boss.  The other notable feature of the movie is the weirdest transition segments ever.  They consisted of quick cuts of some combination of the NC being cheerleady, ninjaey, Takei pulling moves, or a Caliga approved stripper who doesn't appear anywhere else in the movie.
Sounds amazing :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

FunkMonk

The Avengers.

Meh. Above average superhero movie. It was thoroughly average up until the Battle of New York, which saved the movie for me. I rate Dark Knight Returns higher, but I do prefer the Nolan approach to the genre so that's not surprising. I don't think it helped that I watched Thor for the first time yesterday, which was a fucking spectacular piece of superhero cinema.

The best scene in the movie was the guy playing Galaga though. Great joke.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ideologue

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 11, 2013, 07:11:23 PM
The Avengers.

Meh. Above average superhero movie. It was thoroughly average up until the Battle of New York, which saved the movie for me. I rate Dark Knight Returns higher, but I do prefer the Nolan approach to the genre so that's not surprising.

Ugh.

Oddly, I had the opposite reaction to The Avengers.  Loved the first 1:45, was ultimately bored by the action scene (less the Loki bits, which were obviously gonna be entertaining regardless).  The threat was so underwhelming, and I thought it was especially hilarious that they were going to nuke New York, garbon and all, over alien raiders who could be readily defeated by conventional weapons, including bullets.  They didn't even try SAMs.

QuoteI don't think it helped that I watched Thor for the first time yesterday, which was a fucking spectacular piece of superhero cinema.

But you know what?  You're all right.  You're better than all right, you're great.

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

For Monkeybutt:

The Right Stuff (1983).  It was great!

A
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

I give it an A-.  A pinch draggy at points.

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 11, 2013, 07:59:04 PM

At three and half hours that is possible :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

It didn't have as much of an emotional core as you may have wanted, but it was unavoidable with the material.

I was also upset by how Chuck Yeager converted and misused government property, but I guess he earned it and it looked way fucking cool.
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on November 11, 2013, 07:55:08 PM
For Monkeybutt:

The Right Stuff (1983).  It was great!

A

Ide is a hero of the people. All hail Ide!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ideologue on November 11, 2013, 07:29:06 PM

But you know what?  You're all right.  You're better than all right, you're great.

:D I was completely surprised by how good it was. I'm eager to watch the sequel now.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

katmai

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 11, 2013, 08:36:58 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 11, 2013, 07:29:06 PM

:D I was completely surprised by how good it was. I'm eager to watch the sequel now.

I liked it, and ignore mr. prop dressing is horrible Ide.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

They snoozed, they losed.

And I did give a B+ after all.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on November 11, 2013, 08:03:20 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 11, 2013, 07:59:04 PM

At three and half hours that is possible :P

Not in 1983 it wasn't, goddammit.  I could make it through Reds, even with a large soda knocked out early.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on November 11, 2013, 08:06:01 PM
It didn't have as much of an emotional core as you may have wanted, but it was unavoidable with the material.

I was also upset by how Chuck Yeager converted and misused government property, but I guess he earned it and it looked way fucking cool.

Pooh.  Yeager was the emotional core.

Ideologue

John Glenn was closer to that function, but I see your point.
Kinemalogue