And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 08, 2013, 09:57:34 PM
Going to karaoke?

Not tonight.  A little under the weather, plus overtime.

Go ahead without me.

Eddie Teach

Aww, I was hoping we could do Islands in the Stream.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote[THOR (2011)]  A divinely inspired work of cinema with a real beating heart, featuring the best fantasy world in contemporary film, the best straight superhero story in any film, the best supervillain since Claude Rains wore black velvet, and the best colors of 2011, which, if I had my way, would be an Oscar category.

Quote[THOR: THE DARK WORLD (2013)] Whosoever holds this camera, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Kenneth Branagh—and of course it didn't even budge.  Yet, somehow, this sequel is a very good movie, proving how much script and performances—and probably sheer goodwill for a franchise—really do matter.

Full: BUT 'CHA KNOT KING

Actually more like 1500 words... on the production design in the first Thor, anyway. :Embarrass:  I put together some images from that movie and similar triumphs, as a counterpoint to the generally lackluster design in The Dark World.  Insofar as these took more effort than they look like, I'm posting them here too. Getting the exact frame I wanted for Flash Gordon, in the proper 2:35:1, proved impossible because my shitty player software turns off my screen capture ability, but the one used is probably better as an example of its own great set and costume design.  Thor's still on Netflix Instant, though, so that was a cinch.

A+ and B+ for the Marvel movies, respectively.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Phillip V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 06, 2013, 04:08:57 AM
Warm Bodies- Different(and better) than expected. I think this is the first time I've seen Rob Cordry play a character that wasn't a loud-mouthed asshole.  :hmm:
Just watched it. A charming romantic zombie movie. :)

CountDeMoney

Yeah, I thought it was cute.  It's definitely an acceptable "Chick Flick that Guys Can Feel OK About Owning" collection entrant.

11B4V

This is the End: F

Oblivion: B

Monsters U: B-
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

You're going to give us an F without telling us what you hated?  Disconcerting.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

11B4V

Quote from: Neil on November 10, 2013, 02:25:15 PM
You're going to give us an F without telling us what you hated?  Disconcerting.

It was fucking stupid. Not funny
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

So there's this John Frankenheimer movie called Seconds with Rock Hudson about a rich old fuck who, through the ministrations of a shadowy organization, is turned into Rock Hudson and sent off to become a painter in California, and then things happen and he (probably) dies, although I do not know because the reviews I've read have been vague.

It sounds rather cool, and this is John Frankenheimer in his prime decade, and it's apparently been resurrected as a classic despite a lukwarm/awful reception in 1966.  Problem is it's only available as a Criterion disc, not thru Netflix or on Youtube or anything.

Anyone seen it, and, if so, knowing my tastes, would I like it?  I think I'd like it, but would prefer not to gamble.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

I thought tonights episode of the Walking Dead was the best one of the season so far....[spoiler] Though I thought the Governor teaser at the end was detraction.  But then I also think they would have done better giving him a true finale at the end of last season, instead of dragging him out.[/spoiler]

Habbaku

12 Years a Slave, anti-Ide edition : 9.5/10.

Chiwetel Ejiofor should be up for an Oscar.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

:yes:

I was shocked to hear he is only 36, seems like he has been starring in movies for so long, but then read he was 19 at time of his debut in Amistad.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Habbaku

Quote from: katmai on November 11, 2013, 01:08:52 AM
:yes:

I was shocked to hear he is only 36, seems like he has been starring in movies for so long, but then read he was 19 at time of his debut in Amistad.

One of the subtle bits of awesome in the movie was how they aged him throughout the various changes in the scenes.  I don't think it was really possible to tell, aside from that, how much time he was spending in his situation.  And I think that was part of the point.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

You know what else isn't on Netflix?  Black Sunday.  Why does Netflix hate John Frankenheimer? :(
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

I'm also distressed by the notion that Habbaku believes me to be pro-slavery. <_<
Kinemalogue