News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on November 04, 2013, 01:36:25 AM
Caught The Goddess on TCM Silent Movie Sundays.  1934 Silent Chinese flick about a woman who goes into prostitution to make money to keep her son alive and aiming for a better life.  I found it quite a good watch.  Have you seen it yet, Sav?  I'd definitely recommend it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goddess_%281934_film%29
Mom's more attractive than I expected.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 04, 2013, 09:54:18 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on November 04, 2013, 01:36:25 AM
Caught The Goddess on TCM Silent Movie Sundays.  1934 Silent Chinese flick about a woman who goes into prostitution to make money to keep her son alive and aiming for a better life.  I found it quite a good watch.  Have you seen it yet, Sav?  I'd definitely recommend it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goddess_%281934_film%29
Mom's more attractive than I expected.
Look at a few of the other shots of her.  Very attractive.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/LoveandDuty.jpg
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Ideologue

Marnie (1964).  Tippi Hedren is the titular confidence woman and a thief but when she tries to steal from Sean Connery, he blackmails her into marriage.  Unfortunately, she's frigid; Sean Connery will fix that with even more extortion and amateur psychotherapy.  There are two ways to view this creepy fucking movie; I prefer to enjoy it, so I assume that when Marnie is forced to discover the truth, they're being ironic when the rain stops falling in the last shot because the villain has won, having completely destroyed her personality and will.  I liked it, despite Hedren's histrionically hilarious hysterics and hideously huge hair.

B+

Broken Arrow (1996).  "You know you're still under arrest, Captain."  "Oh, yeah? Well, I guess you better take me in."  LOL.  It's no Terminator 2, obviously, and it is silly, but those aren't really sins; Broken Arrow is easily in the upper echelons of 1990s-era action cinema.

A

P.S. why would a movie actress not be attractive?  Maybe Tim's racist.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on November 05, 2013, 02:25:50 AM
Broken Arrow (1996).  "You know you're still under arrest, Captain."  "Oh, yeah? Well, I guess you better take me in."  LOL.  It's no Terminator 2, obviously, and it is silly, but those aren't really sins; Broken Arrow is easily in the upper echelons of 1990s-era action cinema.

A

I don't remember that movie at all. Was Travolta or Slater the bad guy?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Travolta.  He's nutty, just a really enjoyable presence.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Walking Dead- OK, that's one thing that annoys me about this show, and TV shows in general really. So that young couple, they've been happily surviving for what, over a year?, but then the moment they meet the main characters away they go. That just felt thoroughly dumb, complete immersion breaker.
Also...Where does Daryl keep getting his spare bolts? Crossbows aren't the most common of things even in the US right?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

No American home is complete without a crossbow and bolt making tools.  A common housewarming gift.

Ideologue

The Apartment (1960).  Even in our very homes, they rut like beasts.

Class is the key in Billy Wilder's alleged "comedy," which is in fact a thoroughly depressing if ultimately uplifting romantic drama that simply has the writerly witticisms common to all kinds of movies from the period, and unfortunately largely lost to us today.

The Apartment's about Buddy Baxter, a struggling new insurance company adjuster/accountant/actuary (Jack Lemmon--approximately 45 actual seconds of the film is devoted to anybody actually working, so it was hard to catch).  His is the titular apartment, one drafted into service by Baxter's supervisors as the scene of illicit affairs between his economic betters and the women who wouldn't give its oppressed loser lessor the time of day.

It's also about Fran Kubelik, his biggest boss' mistress (and a lovely young Shirley Maclaine), who wants to believe in romance but whose meaning to her lover is made glaringly clear when he gives her, for Christmas, a crisp hundred dollar bill--but honest, he'll be divorcing his wife real soon.

And finally, it's about how Baxter falls in love with her, and she with him, and how together they reject the sexual and economic systems that destroy us.

But the funniest part in the movie is when you find out someone didn't really commit suicide, and you're not so much laughing because it's funny as because it's a real relief; the fact that you believe that it's entirely possible that they may have should suggest what kind of tone the rest of the movie has.  Yet it's also sweet and thoroughly engaging and I adored it.

Also noteworthy as one of the comparatively few American films that were shot in both 2.35:1 and black and white, and it's pretty great (particularly the scenes in the world's most ridiculously oversized office, see below), even on the obsolete technology of the digital video disc.  However, the obvious subpar quality of the picture is, perhaps ironically, far more noticeable in old B+W films than it is for any color one I've yet seen.  If I get $100 for Christmas, the Blu-ray is definitely on my list.  Fantastic. :wub:

A
Kinemalogue

lustindarkness

Quote from: frunk on November 04, 2013, 06:59:03 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 04, 2013, 06:37:49 PM
Walking Dead.

I know, but if I didn't want to be spoiled on Walking Dead how would I know not to look at the spoiler if I don't know what the spoiler is for before I look at it?

This thread is a bitch for us late watchers. <_< I just ignore anything I think could remotely be WD related. After I watch season 2 I intend to venture to the begining of the thread up to 2011. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on November 05, 2013, 10:35:29 AM
Walking Dead- OK, that's one thing that annoys me about this show, and TV shows in general really. So that young couple, they've been happily surviving for what, over a year?, but then the moment they meet the main characters away they go. That just felt thoroughly dumb, complete immersion breaker.
That young couple was surviving alone for about a week.  Before that, they were with a group they lost, IIRC.
And both were injured, the girl had a badly broken&repaired leg, the guy had disloquated shoulder who was just put back in place.

Also...Where does Daryl keep getting his spare bolts? Crossbows aren't the most common of things even in the US right?
He keeps getting them back from the zombies he kills, ever notice how he generally uses it when there's only a few zombies and he can get it back, or simply use the arrow as a stick?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2013, 10:41:08 AM
No American home is complete without a crossbow and bolt making tools.  A common housewarming gift.
I do wonder how long it's gonna take before they run out of bullets.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Queequeg

That's an all-time favorite of mine as well Ide :wub:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on November 05, 2013, 10:35:29 AM

He picks them back up after kills & he made some ~80 of them over the winter between season 2 & 3.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ideologue

Quote from: Queequeg on November 05, 2013, 10:59:07 AM
That's an all-time favorite of mine as well Ide :wub:

Sorry I meant to type B

:P

You almost want to just reach in and throttle Jack Lemmon, though, right?
Kinemalogue