News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Sure I do, but I didn't realize that Tarantino (given it's Tarantino) was probably more inspired by Telefon, rather than the original poem (especially since the last lines are not in the poem, but are an invention of Telefon).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Also, I like muppets. :)  "Bad to verse." :D
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on October 02, 2013, 02:12:31 PM
Sure I do, but I didn't realize that Tarantino (given it's Tarantino) was probably more inspired by Telefon, rather than the original poem (especially since the last lines are not in the poem, but are an invention of Telefon).

Okay.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 02, 2013, 02:12:16 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on October 02, 2013, 02:09:55 PM
You do know that's from Robert Frost's "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening," right?

Of course he does.  People who deconstruct racing flicks for historical perspective know their Frost.

All I meant was, I wanted to have more to compare it to than Days of Thunder, Talladega Nights, and Speed Racer.  I've probably seen a few other racing movies, but that's all that come to mind immediately.

Besides, Grand Prix looks fucking awesome.  It's got James Garner and Toshiro Mifune and, apparently, even that guy from Danger, Diabolik!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33w2hPO7t1g
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on October 02, 2013, 02:27:44 PM
All I meant was, I wanted to have more to compare it to than Days of Thunder, Talladega Nights, and Speed Racer.  I've probably seen a few other racing movies, but that's all that come to mind immediately.

lol, Talladega Nights.  Dr. Quinn and Medicine Woman.

QuoteBesides, Grand Prix looks fucking awesome.  It's got James Garner and Toshiro Mifune and, apparently, even that guy from Danger, Diabolik!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33w2hPO7t1g

Yes.  Many of us have already seen it.

Ideologue

Fair enough.  But bear in mind there's a whole age of consent between when it was released and when I was born.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on October 02, 2013, 02:53:47 PM
Fair enough.  But bear in mind there's a whole age of consent between when it was released and when I was born.

Heh, my mother has always had two movie crushes:  Omar Sharif and James Garner.  I think I saw everything Garner had already done by the time I was 12.

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on October 02, 2013, 02:00:06 PMAlso, there is a CIA analyst who may be my favorite female character in just about any movie, who talks to computers and tells her boss "This is exactly what led to the downfall of the Hittite Empire!"  Marry me, fictional lady. :wub:

Was she referring to the Sea Peoples with iron weapons or Egyptians of two man chariots?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

It seemed to be a general complaint about her boss' complacency.
Kinemalogue

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on October 02, 2013, 06:36:56 AM
:D Well, it's the first time I've seen it.

Inacurate.  It should have said 8 weeks, at least.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ideologue on October 02, 2013, 03:35:10 PM
Yeah. You hear that one a lot.

"Shit, man, my boss is an incompetent tool! Guys like him led to the downfall of the Hittite Empire!"
PDH!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on October 02, 2013, 02:00:06 PM
Telefon (1977).  Donald Pleasance is a Soviet agent gone rogue and Charles Bronson is the KGB's solution to their problem.  Taking a page from The Manchurian Candidate, the Soviets have placed 51 deep, deep cover sabotage operatives within the U.S., and all of them have been subjected to drug induced hypnosis that makes them believe that they are, in fact, Americans.  Pleasance, in a fit of ego, is activating them over the telephone, one at a time, for reasons not immediately clear.  To fans of Quentin Tarantino or, I guess, poetry, the trigger phrase is strikingly familiar:

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep
Do you hear that, ________?
Miles to go before you sleep

Some twists happen, but in the end Harmonica kills the shit out of Ernst Blofeld.  It's a pretty cool movie.  I enjoyed the use of a Soviet spy as the hero, which struck me as different.  Also, there is a CIA analyst who may be my favorite female character in just about any movie, who talks to computers and tells her boss "This is exactly what led to the downfall of the Hittite Empire!"  Marry me, fictional lady. :wub:

B

P.S. Roughly on par with The Conversation, but certainly more entertaining throughout.  It's on Youtube; there is no DVD release apparently.

That buys you one pass from me Ide. Don't waste it on your commie shit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on October 02, 2013, 03:35:10 PM

hmm.. why she singles out the hittites when pretty much every body except the egyptians got wiped out in a similar way suggests to me that she fails at bluffing as a history nerd.

Edit: sorry, not a keeper.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

Pretending to care is all I think you can realistically ask for, and even that's pushing it.

Also, she was hot and >120lbs.
Kinemalogue