News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: garbon on October 01, 2013, 08:45:16 PM
Catching up on The League and this episode with Seth Rogen in LA is pretty dreadful.

It was written by Rogen and Jason Mantzoukas who plays Rafi.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Time to deport Rogaine back to Canada.

garbon

Quote from: katmai on October 01, 2013, 10:28:12 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 01, 2013, 08:58:49 PM
Other observation - David Krumholtz, who features as a fat friend in the episode, apparently bulked up quite a bit. Wiki says that a couple years back he was diagnosed with thyroid cancer.
I hadn't seen him since Numbers went off air and didn't think it was him at first.

Yeah I was pretty surprised.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: katmai on October 01, 2013, 10:29:20 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 01, 2013, 08:45:16 PM
Catching up on The League and this episode with Seth Rogen in LA is pretty dreadful.

It was written by Rogen and Jason Mantzoukas who plays Rafi.

And they deserve to be punished for it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

:D Well, it's the first time I've seen it.

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

It is important to discriminate between the pre-christain anglo saxons which told the beowulf story (as well as the icelandic sagas) and the christian anglo-saxons that wrote them down (same for commonwealth era icelanders that did the same).
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

Quote from: Ideologue on October 02, 2013, 06:36:56 AM
:D Well, it's the first time I've seen it.

[img width=669 height=1024g]http://

:hmm:
I saw the same joke elsewhere. It is teh funny.

██████
██████
██████

Brazen

I watched teh end of the third series of The Walking Dead last night. I can't reconcile David Morrisey's Governor character with his Almost Doctor, or, in fact anything else he's played.

Josquius

:o
You know, on TWD I completely failed to place him. He didn't even ring any "I know that face from somewhere..." bells.
██████
██████
██████

Viking

Quote from: Brazen on October 02, 2013, 08:45:58 AM
I watched teh end of the third series of The Walking Dead last night. I can't reconcile David Morrisey's Governor character with his Almost Doctor, or, in fact anything else he's played.

Thats because he's, y'know, ACTING!
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

Telefon (1977).  Donald Pleasance is a Soviet agent gone rogue and Charles Bronson is the KGB's solution to their problem.  Taking a page from The Manchurian Candidate, the Soviets have placed 51 deep, deep cover sabotage operatives within the U.S., and all of them have been subjected to drug induced hypnosis that makes them believe that they are, in fact, Americans.  Pleasance, in a fit of ego, is activating them over the telephone, one at a time, for reasons not immediately clear.  To fans of Quentin Tarantino or, I guess, poetry, the trigger phrase is strikingly familiar:

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep
Do you hear that, ________?
Miles to go before you sleep

Some twists happen, but in the end Harmonica kills the shit out of Ernst Blofeld.  It's a pretty cool movie.  I enjoyed the use of a Soviet spy as the hero, which struck me as different.  Also, there is a CIA analyst who may be my favorite female character in just about any movie, who talks to computers and tells her boss "This is exactly what led to the downfall of the Hittite Empire!"  Marry me, fictional lady. :wub:

B

P.S. Roughly on par with The Conversation, but certainly more entertaining throughout.  It's on Youtube; there is no DVD release apparently.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on October 02, 2013, 02:00:06 PM
I also watched Rush (2013), but I'm waiting until Le Mans and Grand Prix (and Death Race 2000 for some reason :D ) come in the mail to review it, because I feel those are more essential grounding than the only other F1 movie I've ever seen, Driven. -_-

Because F1 racing needs to be properly deconstructed.  Gotcha.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 02, 2013, 02:04:51 PM
I also watched Rush (2013), but I'm waiting until Le Mans and Grand Prix (and Death Race 2000 for some reason :D ) come in the mail to review it, because I feel those are more essential grounding than the only other F1 movie I've ever seen, Driven. -_-

Because F1 racing needs to be properly deconstructed.  Gotcha.

Darn, I took that out because I forgot that Le Mans isn't F1, it's something else.

But yes, why not?  Historical perspective is important.
Kinemalogue

Savonarola

To fans of Quentin Tarantino or, I guess, poetry, the trigger phrase is strikingly familiar:

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep
Do you hear that, ________?
Miles to go before you sleep

You do know that's from Robert Frost's "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening," right?

Here's Gonzo and Fozzy doing a, different, interpretation of it:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGoZNjNgcP0

¡Olé!
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Savonarola on October 02, 2013, 02:09:55 PM
You do know that's from Robert Frost's "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening," right?

Of course he does.  People who deconstruct racing flicks for historical perspective know their Frost.