News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on September 01, 2013, 11:42:32 AM
Spain does not have an embargo against Cuba.

Right, but presumably someone in the US paid Spaniards and Cubans for the right to air it her.

I can tell you for a fact it's the only movie I've ever seen that had Cuban participation.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 01, 2013, 02:59:20 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 01, 2013, 02:58:10 PM
Buena Vista Social Club?

American made documentary, no?
American, British, Cuban, French and German produced.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Well, I haven't seen it so my statement stands. :P

Darth Wagtaros

Looney Tunes episode had a node to Irving Allen.  Undersea Submarine Team and TIme Vortex.  Heh.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Jesse Pinkman [spoiler]is an emo shitbag[/spoiler].

Ed Anger

Showed the wife THX 1138.  Her review?

thanks for the depressing movie before going to sleep.

:thumbsup:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Elysium. Or: Johnny Mnemonic meets District 9. Good visual design. The political message ... I wasn't sure if it was supposed to bleeding heart liberal or a parody of the same. Also: make sure your psycho villain doesn't have a silly accent/ridiculously whiny voice (yes, I know it's the director, but that doesn't make it better) with no redeeming qualities. Overall: meh.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

That wasn't the director. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

I'm not sure if he's talking about Sharlto Copley's (real) SAfrican accent or Jodie Foster's (hilariously fake) space/SAfrican accent.  I guess it was the director's decision for the latter actor to affect it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

The twins wanted me to watch with them some My little Pony movie where the ponies got turned into teenage girls. The pain in my forehead became so intense, a thousand suns exploded.

I did get a 15 minute poo break. Tried to sneak off again, but those two caught me escaping.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

I was just at CVS and stood in line in front of Mare Winningham. I only recognized her as she played Meredith's stepmother on Grey's Anatomy. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

High Society (1956)

A musical version of "The Philadelphia Story" where Grace Kelley plays Katherine Hepburn, Bing Crosby plays Carry Grant, Frank Sinatra plays George Bailey and Louis Armstrong plays the Greek Chorus that wasn't part of the original film.  The film is set in Newport at the Jazz Festival rather than Philadelphia.  While Newport isn't close to Philadelphia, none of the principles are close to screwball comedy actors so it all works out.

The Cole Porter music does help make up for the lack of rapid fire wit.  Here's the crooner and the swooner singing "Well did you evah?":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksGTxGeyQ5c

Bing and Frank have more chemistry than Bing and Princess Grace; to the point that the film would have been more credible if they had hooked up at the end.  1956 was not ready for that, though.  The other high point of the film is Bing and Louis singing "Now you Has Jazz":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC3VTBG0tRc

Satch was thought of as an Uncle Tom by young black men inthe 60s and 70s; and while that is completely unfair, films like this did not make him come across as Curtis Mayfield.

In the special features of the DVD I had there was a little blurb on the gala premiere.  General Omar Bradley was in attendance, as were newlyweds Eddie Fischer and Debbie Reynolds.  I thought that was amusing as the latter two became as famous for their battles as did the former.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock