And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 27, 2013, 11:20:00 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 27, 2013, 10:54:12 AM
Well, initially, I think it's just the idea of going from place to place and having a pint is kind of a fun one.  I mean, pub crawls are a thing.

Sure, it's a thing.  It's a pretty stupid thing, though.  It's a lot easier to stay in one place and get drunk than going to different places and getting drunk on the same beer.   Doesn't seem very pragmatic, particulary if there are differing costs, etc.  And why would you drink different beers anyway and make yourself sick, all the while becoming progressively more intoxicated over the course of the evening, increasing your chances with the possibility of DWI arrests or traffic accidents?

Because you're 18. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

And it's Britain.  If you get too drunk, you just walk back to London.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Seedy sounds like an old man.

Damn kids and their bar hopping.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Domino theory only works on paper, g.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2013, 11:40:20 AM

I think he might be misinterpreting a pub crawl, which I've always understood to mean walking from bar to bar in a relatively confined geographic area, usually also within walking distance of your urban home, not hopping in your Chrysler and driving out to the love shack after you've already gotten wasted.
Kinemalogue

Malthus

Maybe. -_-

But I'm really more sore that they abandoned the sound structural sensibilities that had characterized the other two Cornetto movies.  Shaun of the Dead is at the end of the day a really good zombie movie (it is low praise, but it is probably my second favorite in the subgenre, unless you count Evil Dead films).  Hot Fuzz is likewise a really good run-and-gun action movie better than most non-parody action movies.  World's End is a really sloppy, kind of bad body snatcher movie.

And it's not as funny.

Don't agree - in this movie, the greater emphasis was put on the relationships and characters of the group of buddies than on the parody aspect.

Shaun of the Dead was a zombie parody first and a relationship movie second; this one has the priorities the other way around. That doesn't make it worse, just different.

Seems to me you are committing the cardinal sin of wanting a film-maker to make the same movie over and over, and getting pissed when he "fails". Take it on its own terms.

For me, I was entertained, and it was both funny and (at times) uncomfortably precient - who hasn't known a Gary King, or maybe worried that they were one (or one of his buddies)?

You don't often see that sort of character relationship in movies - the other apocalypse comedy was, as I understand, about celebrities being assholes and achieving success anyway, which is hardly a rarity.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on August 27, 2013, 12:42:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2013, 11:40:20 AM

I think he might be misinterpreting a pub crawl, which I've always understood to mean walking from bar to bar in a relatively confined geographic area, usually also within walking distance of your urban home, not hopping in your Chrysler and driving out to the love shack after you've already gotten wasted.

The notion of walking being slightly alien to some of our American friends.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 27, 2013, 11:20:00 AM
Well, initially, I think it's just the idea of going from place to place and having a pint is kind of a fun one.  I mean, pub crawls are a thing.

Sure, it's a thing.  It's a pretty stupid thing, though.  It's a lot easier to stay in one place and get drunk than going to different places and getting drunk on the same beer.   Doesn't seem very pragmatic, particulary if there are differing costs, etc.  And why would you drink different beers anyway and make yourself sick, all the while becoming progressively more intoxicated over the course of the evening, increasing your chances with the possibility of DWI arrests or traffic accidents?

QuoteIf you mean, why do they keep going to all these different pubs after the aliens reveal themselves, no, not really.  A few lines are uttered to try to paper over it, but no.

No, I was simply asking about the pub crawling thing, and wondering if they explained it at all.  Having aliens in the story doesn't make it any more plausible, though.

Going out with friends isn't only about getting drunk though.  I haven't done any organized "pub crawls" but a few times I've gone out to a location with a bunch of bars and slowly worked our way from bar A to Bar B and Bar C before ending in D.  All the walking around means you're actually spending less time drinking, and more time out on the street watching everyone else walk around from bar to bar.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on August 27, 2013, 12:45:45 PM
Maybe. -_-

But I'm really more sore that they abandoned the sound structural sensibilities that had characterized the other two Cornetto movies.  Shaun of the Dead is at the end of the day a really good zombie movie (it is low praise, but it is probably my second favorite in the subgenre, unless you count Evil Dead films).  Hot Fuzz is likewise a really good run-and-gun action movie better than most non-parody action movies.  World's End is a really sloppy, kind of bad body snatcher movie.

And it's not as funny.

Don't agree - in this movie, the greater emphasis was put on the relationships and characters of the group of buddies than on the parody aspect.

Shaun of the Dead was a zombie parody first and a relationship movie second; this one has the priorities the other way around. That doesn't make it worse, just different.

Seems to me you are committing the cardinal sin of wanting a film-maker to make the same movie over and over, and getting pissed when he "fails". Take it on its own terms.

For me, I was entertained, and it was both funny and (at times) uncomfortably precient - who hasn't known a Gary King, or maybe worried that they were one (or one of his buddies)?

You don't often see that sort of character relationship in movies - the other apocalypse comedy was, as I understand, about celebrities being assholes and achieving success anyway, which is hardly a rarity.  :P

Actually, half of the main cast died and were eternally damned, and I believe all of the secondary cast. :D  This is the End's social satire was far more biting (oddly, at the same time more subtle) than The World's End's obvious swipe at Teh Internets, too.

I actually did like the character stuff, although it got messy toward the end as to what exactly they were trying to say about Gary.  I wasn't annoyed that Pegg and Wright varied the formula, but that they used the same formula incorrectly, which sounds like hair-splitting but isn't.  The first hour and a half of this movie is very similar to Shaun of the Dead with Simon Pegg and Nick Frosts' roles reversed (without, however, the focus shifting from Pegg to Frost).  The problem is that the resulting incidents are not as well executed in terms of plot, structure, or action.

Ultimately, I was really let down by the jokes, though; which is so thoroughly subjective, I suppose, as to be impossible to argue about.  Hey, I'm not angry you liked it. :D
Kinemalogue

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on August 27, 2013, 12:57:00 PM
Actually, half of the main cast died and were eternally damned, and I believe all of the secondary cast. :D  This is the End's social satire was far more biting (oddly, at the same time more subtle) than The World's End's obvious swipe at Teh Internets, too.

I thought it was more a swipe at human nature and corportate culture generally. Though maybe not being "obvious", you didn't see it that way.   :P

I actually did like the character stuff, although it got messy toward the end as to what exactly they were trying to say about Gary.  I wasn't annoyed that Pegg and Wright varied the formula, but that they used the same formula incorrectly, which sounds like hair-splitting but isn't.  The first hour and a half of this movie is very similar to Shaun of the Dead with Simon Pegg and Nick Frosts' roles reversed (without, however, the focus shifting from Pegg to Frost).  The problem is that the resulting incidents are not as well executed in terms of plot, structure, or action.

Ultimately, I was really let down by the jokes, though; which is so thoroughly subjective, I suppose, as to be impossible to argue about. 

Heh, I simply suspect you just didn't get them all.  ;)

My personal favorite was the "modern art" set. That was fucking hilarious. I'll never look at hideous municipal sculpture the same way again.  :lol:

QuoteHey, I'm not angry you liked it. :D

No prob. I merely disagree, is all.

Ideologue

I like hideous municipal sculpture. :(  We have a giant chrome fire hydrant.  I wish we had a Lucasarts logo man.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

But seriously, making fun of modern art?  What is this, 1975?
Kinemalogue

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

That's fucking rad, man.  In Edmonton?
Kinemalogue