News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2013, 04:44:49 PM
Man, I wanna see Airport now.

As much as you dig film as a field of study, you really need to.

Admiral Yi

If there's anyone who hasn't seen Marathon Man it's in heavy rotation right now.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 11, 2013, 04:57:05 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2013, 04:44:49 PM
Man, I wanna see Airport now.

As much as you dig film as a field of study, you really need to.

I've always meant to, but it's one of those that easily falls through the cracks.  I'd never actually seen it even broadcast on TV.

I have, of course, seen Airplane! at least three dozen times. -_-  (Airplane 2 a similar number.  That movie is a bit unfairly derided.  It's a recapitulation of a lot of the same jokes, but the space stuff makes it worthwhile.)

P.S. Marathon Man is hella cool.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Man, I dunno, changed my mind about High and Low.  I keep trying to average out the A+ first 65 minutes and the highish B, extremely lowish B+ of the last 80.

Really more of a B+ overall.  It's like two separate movies.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

I can distinctly remember the scene from the Marathon Man commercial where he's in his bathtub as the lights go out in his living room as scaring the fucking shit out of me as a youngster.

And not even going there about dentistry.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Kleves

Elysium. Mexicans overrun and destroy America. Americans go into space. Mexicans overrun and destroy space.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Ideologue

Quote from: Kleves on August 11, 2013, 11:46:10 PM
Elysium. Mexicans overrun and destroy America. Americans go into space. Mexicans overrun and destroy space.
:lol:
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Sea of Love.  Al Pacino fucks Ellen Barkin to find out if she's a serial killer.

Man they had a different idea of pacing back when they made this. 

Ideologue

In '89?  I dunno.  Sometimes I feel like the 80s and 90s were kind of the golden age of pacing, between the languid 70s and the dour constipation of the 00s.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Not speaking specifically to your serial killer sex romp, of course.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Speaking of shittily paced movies, I watched Repulsion (1965), Roman Polanski's meditation on why bitches be crazy and only spurn rapists, date- and legitimate- alike, because of mounting schizophrenia.  Wait, I'm sorry, it's "one of cinema's most shocking psychological thrillers," according to Criterion.  Boring and offensive is a pretty toxic combo.

D+

Also Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters.  Also somewhat dull.

There are a few decent scenes of adventure: the opening to the Charybdis sequence is genuinely pretty cool, which is why it's in the trailer in, pretty much, its entirety.  There's some goofy riffing on mythology that can be amusing, and can be dumb: Neil Gaiman has much to answer for.  Fat Nathan Fillion is depressing, but he makes a pretty funny Firefly reference that doesn't take you out of the movie at all, except entirely.  It has one terrible, telegraphed, paint-by-numbers ending.  Django Unchained depicts only slightly more racism against an actual human group than the character who looks like Amanda Peet Jr. spews at Cyclops in an increasingly disturbing manner.

Not as good as Disney's Hercules, and not half as good as Luigi Cozzi's Hercules, but nonetheless better than Tarsem Singh's Immortals.  I guess children who by dint of youth didn't get their fill of urban fantasy back in the 90s and aren't turned off by the whole Magic School concept may enjoy it.

C+
Kinemalogue

crazy canuck

Saw Elysium.  I wanted to like this.  I really wanted to like this.  After leaving the theatre I talked myself into thinking it had some good bits but really this is a bad movie.  The premise is interesting enough but the execution is terrible.