News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 06, 2013, 02:12:40 AM
  He'll give Kurosawa's MacBeth a  C+, but that shitburger sammich of junkie jism Public Enemy a B. 

That was pretty bad, but shitting on Sergio Leone is worse.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

How'd I do that? :unsure:

I fucking adored The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, loved For Few Dollars More, and enjoyed Fistful a fair amount as well.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sophie Scholl

I agree, in the modern era such a plot hole/device would belong... right in just about any summer blockbuster.  It was seemingly a popular custom/occurrence to have such soothsayers/spirits/witches/etc. rely on such devices.  Perhaps it was as popular then as it is now for the masses to have things heavily, though not explicitly foreshadowed so that they could feel smart if they guessed how it worked out.  People and entertainment don't change that much throughout history.  Even some of the best films have little eye rolling moments of audience pandering on some level.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Ideologue

Quote from: Benedict ArnoldI agree, in the modern era such a plot hole/device would belong... right in just about any summer blockbuster.  It was seemingly a popular custom/occurrence to have such soothsayers/spirits/witches/etc. rely on such devices.  Perhaps it was as popular then as it is now for the masses to have things heavily, though not explicitly foreshadowed so that they could feel smart if they guessed how it worked out.  People and entertainment don't change that much throughout history.  Even some of the best films have little eye rolling moments of audience pandering on some level.

It's true.  For example, I kind of feel the same way about the lip-reading scene in 2001.  That seemed like something Bowman and Poole should've considered.

Edit: you know, it wasn't even necessary for HAL to get close to victory.  HAL was an intuitive machine.  Just the fact of a private conversation--without knowing its content--would be enough for HAL to suspect its life was in danger.  But it did provide that kind of heavy foreshadowing of which you speak.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

So been on a bit of a movie-watching binge lately.

GI Joe 2- Really dumb, but still kinda fun. I especially enjoyed the ninjas fighting on the mountainside. Being a brunette suits Adrianne Palicki well.
Oz, the Great and Powerful- For a prequel that's released 70 years after the original, it's quite good. Almost as good as the original. (Of course, as I'm not a girl, I think it's ridiculous Wizard of Oz gets mentioned alongside Godfather and Casablanca when it really should be ranked with movies like Mary Poppins and the Little Mermaid.)
Burt Wonderstone- pretty funny. Nothing special.
Lone Ranger- has its moments. Perhaps not enough of them. Haven't decided.
Warm Bodies- Different(and better) than expected. I think this is the first time I've seen Rob Cordry play a character that wasn't a loud-mouthed asshole.  :hmm:
Savages- I don't think watching movies like this is good for my health. That isn't to say it was a bad movie. Just the way the situation was drawn gave me an all-too-visceral hatred for the villains.

Eddie Teach

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on August 06, 2013, 01:43:45 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Ide has not read Macbeth. :frusty:

See, this is why Ide's movie reviews are the Languish equivalent of Timmay's cancer-riddled femur.  He'll give Kurosawa's MacBeth a  C+, but that shitburger sammich of junkie jism Public Enemy a B.  Kid's brain has melted in law school.
It was a tibia! :angry:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on August 06, 2013, 02:52:07 AM
I'll bet fifty cents you've never even seen it.

Of course I have.  It's not his best, but it's not a C+. That's reserved for Dodesukaden, which was a real snoozer.

QuoteAnd of course I've read MacBeth.  I've read plays you fuckers never heard of.  Epicene?  The Persians?  Yeah, right.

Eat me, Assburger.  A lot of us were reading crummy Plautus that Benson episodes ripped off before you were an embryo.  So you can shove your credentials.

QuoteIt is not my favorite Shakespeare, and this is not my favorite film version of it.

Anyway, I love how you gave me shit about static shots and silence when I praise Kubrick, but Throne of Blood became some kind of Goddamn masterpiece because you think it gives you ammunition for a cheap shot.  MAH KUROSAWA

Of course it isn't masterpiece.  It's just not a C+.  And Kubrick fanboiism for the sake of Kubrick fanboiism will still get you smacked.

QuoteAlso, why do you hate Michael Mann?  It's not like Public Enemies was made by some scrub.  It's nothing great, but it's entertaining and worth watching every ten years or so.

I don't hate Michael Mann numbnuts, as my constant and consistent defenses of Manhunter would attest.  I just hated Public Enemy, as it was a turgid piece of crap.  But it's not your fault you'd award it with a B--I blame on being a product of your generation, where every retard entry in the race gets a ribbon.

QuoteThat said, I've watched Sanjuro three times this week and after really getting a handle on it, I think I probably should give it the A+ it deserves.  I was way off on that one.

Yes, you were, shitbird.  But we already knew that.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 06, 2013, 04:09:44 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 06, 2013, 03:40:39 AM
How'd I do that? :unsure:

Seedy did a few pages back.

I shit on spaghetti westerns, not explicitly Sergio Leone.  Many of them suffer from atrocious post-production dubbing, so they lose points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 06, 2013, 04:46:53 AM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on August 06, 2013, 01:43:45 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Ide has not read Macbeth. :frusty:

See, this is why Ide's movie reviews are the Languish equivalent of Timmay's cancer-riddled femur.  He'll give Kurosawa's MacBeth a  C+, but that shitburger sammich of junkie jism Public Enemy a B.  Kid's brain has melted in law school.
It was a tibia! :angry:

That too.

Ed Anger

Re-watched the classic Wild Things with my wife. Who cares about the plot? TITTAYS!

I give it a K on the new Mars movie review scale.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 06, 2013, 06:43:15 AM
Re-watched the classic Wild Things with my wife. Who cares about the plot? TITTAYS!

I remember my date enjoyed Wild things quite a bit.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Quote from: katmai on August 06, 2013, 02:57:43 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 06, 2013, 06:43:15 AM

I remember my date enjoyed Wild things quite a bit.

Was it: Mandate of Heaven?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Wild Things gets you laid.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

I've had a 100% success rate with Evil Dead 2.

You got me.

Anyway, forgot to mention I also watched Gone in 60 Seconds (1974).  It's barely a real movie, especially for the first ten minutes which plays out in voiceover and montage, but it has some impressively humorous pseudo-scenes (WTF TIGER), one really rad and really real car chase, an ending that doesn't insult you by pretending you care about the "characters," and you really get the love H.B. Halicki wants to share with you for smashing the shit out of cars.  B+
Kinemalogue