News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Norma Rae.  Sally Fields is a southern textile worker who helps to unionize her mill.  I'd seen it a billion times on the cable menu, always skipped it thinking it would be meh.  It was meh.

jimmy olsen

Is the mill sent to Mexico in the epilogue?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 05, 2013, 02:08:26 AM
Is the mill sent to Mexico in the epilogue?

Dominican Republic IIRC, but katmai is the one who would know for sure.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

KRonn

Quote from: fhdz on August 04, 2013, 09:24:59 PM
Finally got around to watching episode 2 of The Bridge. I like it quite a bit.

I'm liking this show, and I like the cast in it, plus the unique venue and crime situations that occur in the show.

garbon

This Means War

Finally caught this one. Perfect as light-hearted fare but ending is ridiculous. [spoiler]Seriously, picking Chris Pine over Tom Hardy?[/spoiler] :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

garbon

I wondered if it wasn't some lame moralizing on keeping families together but still. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Well, it's obviously Hollywood, because in reality[spoiler] the chick would go for the beefcake with the English accent in a heartbeat.[/spoiler]

garbon

As anyone sensible should. :wub:

Actually yeah, they pointed out being British as a negative. I was like homie say what? :huh:

Savonarola

Ivan's Childhood (1962)

Tarkovsky's first studio film; unlike his later films he has a stylized sets that owe heavily to German Expressionism.  He also has action in foreground, mid-ground and background like Citizen Kane (or the Mon Oncle films) and makes use of oblique angles.  He does make use of his "Poetic" style as well, with dream sequences and disjointed narrative.  With so many styles mixed together it plays like a film school project. 

It is quite watchable, though; it's more gripping than his later work.  The story concerns a young boy (Nikolay Burlyaev, who would play the bell master in Andrei Rublev) whose a scout for the Soviet Army.  His story is told through his dreams and what other characters say about him.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

MadImmortalMan

I watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High with the wife the other night. She had never seen it. Sheltered girl.  :P

It's funny to see the light bulbs come on when a person is thinking "So that's where that came from!" every five minutes.

She's also never seen Smokey and the Bandit:rolleyes:

She said "OMG Sally Field used to be pretty!".
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 05, 2013, 06:56:06 PM
I watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High with the wife the other night. She had never seen it. Sheltered girl.  :P

It's funny to see the light bulbs come on when a person is thinking "So that's where that came from!" every five minutes.

She's also never seen Smokey and the Bandit:rolleyes:

She said "OMG Sally Field used to be pretty!".

I'll have to ask my wife if she has seen those too. And Killer Klowns from Outer Space.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on August 05, 2013, 10:23:06 AM
it's more gripping than [Tarkovsky's] later work.

Kinda bound to be, isn't it? :P

Public Enemies (2009).  John Dillinger biopic.  Michael Mann joins the shitty handheld camera brigade and Christian Bale has a predictably hilarious vocal performance, but Johnny Depp sort of acts like a human being for the first and last time since 1993 and there's a fair number of entertaining shootouts.

B

Throne of Blood (1957).  Akira Kurosawa's dull adaptation of MacBeth.  The beginning is cool and the end is cool but the middle part draggggs and I also have to question why the usurper Washizu thinks it's a good thing when he asks the evil spirit if he'll emerge victorious and the evil spirit sez "You will not know defeat until the trees of the forest rise up to attack you" instead of, more simply, "Yes."  Is this guy retarded?

C+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on August 05, 2013, 09:41:19 PM
but Johnny Depp sort of acts like a human being for the first and last time since 1993

Oh yeah, well what about Rango?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?