Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: 11B4V on August 03, 2013, 08:29:46 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 03, 2013, 08:25:00 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on August 03, 2013, 08:05:41 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 03, 2013, 08:02:13 PM
P.S. Mifune is a blast as always.

:yes:

The more I've been thinking about, the more I think I underrated Sanjuro too.  I said then that I was conflicted between a B+ and an A.  Of the three Kurosawa jidaigeki movies I've so far watched (does Rashoman count? I guess it's a "period drama"), it's really the one most legitimately lauded as great (the irony being that it seems to be often included only along with Yojimbo and as an afterthought).

Another remake I enjoyed was, Hara Kiri. Well done. I need to find the 1962 original.

I want to see that as well.  It's available on disc on Netflix.  The remake appears to be on Instant Watch. :hmm:

Have you ever seen any of the unofficial/non-Kurosawa Sanjuro films?  I have Incident at Blood Pass coming as soon as it's available, and Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo (I hope Abbott and Costello show up) is on my queue somewhere.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

If you are serious about Samurai movies check out the works of Masaki Kobayashi and Kihachi Okomoto.  Kobayashi did the original "Hara-Kiri" and "Samurai Rebellion;" both with compelling plots and crappy sword-fighting.   Okomoto's "Sword of Doom" is incredible and he made a movie based on the same novel as "Sanjuro" called "Kill!"
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

"Taping" the latest Anna Karenina as I speak. Worth watching?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

Quote from: Josephus on August 03, 2013, 09:42:39 PM

I've heard it's got really amazing set design and the filmed stageplay conceit is interesting.

Quote from: SavIf you are serious about Samurai movies check out the works of Masaki Kobayashi and Kihachi Okomoto.  Kobayashi did the original "Hara-Kiri" and "Samurai Rebellion;" both with compelling plots and crappy sword-fighting.   Okomoto's "Sword of Doom" is incredible and he made a movie based on the same novel as "Sanjuro" called "Kill!"

I was watching Sanjuro with the commentary and Kill! came up.  Is on my list for sure.

Question: I am led to believe that post-Sanjuro samurai films, as a result of Sanjuro's last scene, are bloodier, as befitting films about guys hacking up guys with swords.  True?  If so, is it a matter of technology alone, or loosening content restrictions?

It's something that bothers me because one one hand I don't want to be unfair to older movies, and I wonder if my issue with their lack of grisliness is a legitimate gripe, but on the other it genuinely does reduce a film's appeal if it's about violence (and as the old saw goes there is no anti-war film) but cannot or refuses to show blood and guts.  Technological limitations, of course, I can waive, but unwillingness--whether internally or externally imposed--is more difficult to let slide.

It's a minor thing, but it does tend to reduce my appreciation a bit--though as noted Sanjuro gets a pass even for its bloodless twenty-on-one fight, because of the crazy ultraviolence of the last duel that is so spectacular it's practically a twist ending.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Sherlock Holmes 3.0.  Didn't even know they'd made a 3rd one.  Not as good as the 1st two.  Too much fighting and not enough cleverness.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2013, 10:07:40 PM
Sherlock Holmes 3.0.  Didn't even know they'd made a 3rd one.  Not as good as the 1st two.  Too much fighting and not enough cleverness.

when did that come out? Thought they only have released two so far.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: 11B4V on August 03, 2013, 10:26:29 PM

No clue.  Like I said, it caught me by surprise too.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2013, 10:27:33 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on August 03, 2013, 10:26:29 PM

No clue.  Like I said, it caught me by surprise too.

IMDB still says it's in "script" status. ????? You talking about the Downy JR. ones right?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Well shit.  I just saw the one with Moriarty.  Was that the second one?  I thought I had already seen two but maybe it's the senility.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2013, 10:45:12 PM
Well shit.  I just saw the one with Moriarty.  Was that the second one?  I thought I had already seen two but maybe it's the senility.

That be #2  ;)

Syt

Quote from: Savonarola on August 03, 2013, 05:47:43 PM
Quote from: Syt on August 03, 2013, 05:05:09 AM
Hakws/Wayne also did Rio Lobo and El Dorado together, westerns that are similar in tone, but don't quite reach the same quality (though RObert Mitchum as drunkard sheriff in El Dorado is good fun).

Also, the Hawks/Wayne movie Hatari is highly recommended.

See "Red River" if you haven't yet; it's Mutiny on the Chuck Wagon as directed by Howard Hawks, starring John Wayne and Montgomery Clift.

I have seen it. My dad was a big John Wayne fan, so I saw most his movies.  :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Quote from: 11B4V on August 03, 2013, 10:49:28 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2013, 10:45:12 PM

That be #2  ;)

LOL...but yeah, Sherlock's mostly gone action hero in these films.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

Caught the McLaughlin Group while channel surfing....

He must have turned vampire...as he doesn't seem any more of an old, crotchety bastard than he did 20 years ago.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Josephus on August 03, 2013, 09:42:39 PM
I rather enjoyed it.  As Ide said, the director's choices with set creation, costumes, and the theater idea worked out really well I think.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

fhdz

Finally got around to watching episode 2 of The Bridge. I like it quite a bit.
and the horse you rode in on