News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on July 16, 2013, 03:14:35 AM
Well, Steve Carrell is bound to be amusing from time to time.  Anchorman 2 in December.  Iirc, you really dug the first one.  It was, of course, his finest role.

40 yo Virgin or Crazy, Stupid, Love would be his best.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on July 16, 2013, 06:56:25 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 15, 2013, 09:25:51 PM
Yo Kleves, or anyone else watching VB.

Fake-out bullshit ala Successful Alternate Universe Rusty, or what?

Something about it felt serious, like exactly what Hammer and Publick would do when they wanted to do that.  I ain't saying [spoiler]he's dead.  But somehow I don't exactly think Rusty's crawling out of that next week with no issues.[/spoiler]

Saw the episode.  Next season is the last episode, which is a shame cause I don't think they even going to try pull together all the threads.  [spoiler]He's not dead, though most of the characters will think he is.  Dean and Hank will be sent to their next of kin which will likely be the Action Man and Colonel gentleman.  I suspect some big secret is going to be revealed through flashbacks.  I think think that the cyborg guy that Brock beat up in the bathroom is the Monarchs father.[/spoiler]

No wai.

Quote from: Tim
:lmfao:

:)

Myself, I thought the Alec Baldwin joke was the really good one.  Plus it's not every day you get to make a reference to The Shadow '94.  (That's a piece of my childhood I need to revist.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on July 16, 2013, 01:05:35 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 16, 2013, 03:14:35 AM
Well, Steve Carrell is bound to be amusing from time to time.  Anchorman 2 in December.  Iirc, you really dug the first one.  It was, of course, his finest role.

40 yo Virgin or Crazy, Stupid, Love would be his best.

I always thought the best part about 40 Year Old Virgin was everybody else.

Ideologue

Everyone does know I just mean Brick Tamland is the funniest Steve Carrell performance, I trust.  I imagine it's actually preposterously easy to play.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

Venture Bros was funny.  Very funny. Could wish there was more than 8 episodes for a season. Been two years since Season 4 ended.
PDH!

MadImmortalMan

Watching this Ginger Baker thing on Showtime. Pretty cool.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

11B4V

God that fucking mouth breather show is on  :mad:, America's got talent. Time to go to the war room.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: 11B4V on July 16, 2013, 11:20:00 PM
God that fucking mouth breather show is on  :mad:, America's got talent. Time to go to the war room.

Remember, no fighting.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2013, 11:21:20 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on July 16, 2013, 11:20:00 PM

Remember, no fighting.
:D
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

The Seven-Ups (1973)

Roy Scheider leads the Seven-Ups, a secretive NYPD task force created for undercover and plainclothes work, and counter-intelligence against the mob.  There are, of course, four of them.  But when they find themselves caught in the middle of a gangster kidnapping plot orchestrated by one of their own informants, they're soon down to three.  Roy Scheider will stop at nothing to get justice, let alone red lights.

Another police thriller built around a major automotive set-piece, The Seven-Ups is the third in producer Philip D'Antoni's chase triology, and the first he directed.  Believe it or not, I've never seen The French Connection, but I have seen Bullitt.  If you liked Bullitt, which I didn't, you'll love The Seven-Ups.  I liked The Seven-Ups.  I liked it because it wasn't boring, even though it wasted a few excellent set-ups, including the prospect of burying a man alive and also overturning a Greyhound bus in the path of a moving car.  Nonetheless, good flick.

B

One rad car chase for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vACWV5sRcY

Fun fact, those kids, while trained and directed for maximum safety given the fucked-up premise, really did have a car driven at them at like 40mph. :D

Also: time-traveling Javier Bardem?
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Had the drink not been invented yet, or was this movie just one of the most blatant incidents of product placement ever? Did they kidnap a cola-kingpin and hold him for ransom?  :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on July 17, 2013, 12:12:20 AM
Believe it or not, I've never seen The French Connection,

And you wonder why you get so much shit.

Admiral Yi

French Connection is somewhat overrated.  You take away a couple good scenes in which Gene Hackman roughs up negroes and there's not much to the flick.

Eddie Teach

I don't remember that flick at all.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 17, 2013, 01:24:16 AM
French Connection is somewhat overrated.  You take away a couple good scenes in which Gene Hackman roughs up negroes and there's not much to the flick.

Bah.  Hackman ran a clinic on character acting.  And dismantling the Lincoln was awesome.