Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 05, 2013, 04:18:12 PM
Time travel makes no sense either.
you can make it consistent, at least.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Films made for (and possibly by) Timmay: "Sharknado" and "FDR: American Badass".  :lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/gallery/2013/may/24/worst-films-at-cannes?picture=409405162
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

Quote from: Josephus on July 05, 2013, 05:22:50 PM
Looper is watchable.

Indeed.  No more, and maybe slightly less (I wouldn't seek to watch it again).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Quote from: HVC on July 05, 2013, 04:14:04 PM
Loopers ok if you ignore that the time travel laws they use make no sense

that's why it's Science Fiction and not Science Reality.  :bleeding:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Darth Wagtaros

Didn't like the ending of the latest season of Arrested Development.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 05, 2013, 08:39:40 PM
Didn't like the ending of the latest season of Arrested Development.

Rather abrupt and leaves quite a bit in the air. :yes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Identity Thief or theft or whatever.

Ugh
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

The Eagle.  Decent movie.  There are worse ways to kill two hours.

Though I'm sure all the historitards found ways to have their conniptions over it somehow.

MAH GREAVES

Sophie Scholl

News seasons of Luther and Copper are pretty decent so far.  Both are available on Netflix up to the current seasons if anyone wants to get on board.  I recommend them both. :thumbsup:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 06, 2013, 12:48:15 AM
The Eagle.  Decent movie.  There are worse ways to kill two hours.

MAH GREAVES

I thought the same of Centurion both were entertaining. Fassbender is out ahead of Channing IMO.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Fistful of Dollars (1964).

I know without it Last Man Standing wouldn't even exist, but without Yojimbo, neither would Fistful, so it's not as clear cut case of shitting on the "original" to say Walter Hill's movie is the better American version--well, English language version--well, you know what I mean.  Here's why this is the case: by the time of Last Man Standing, squibs had been invented.  So had shooting night for night.  So had Bruce Willis.  And so had editing.  Sergio Leone: "I sure would like to do a long take, but I can't, so we're just going to cut from Joe under the porch to, um, Joe under the porch and no one will ever be the wiser."

I'm having trouble remembering what happened to the Irish gang in Last Man Standing.  I know the basic set-up is the same.  The Italians set their house on fire and gun them down as they try to flee.  (The ethnicities might be the other way around.)  The idea is certainly sound.  But I do have a vague recollection that that scene shares the same basic flawed execution as in Fistful of Dollars: here the laughably incompetent Baxters run toward the source of the flames instead of away from them as common sense would suggest, and run through them even though this gets them caught on fire and puts them into an kill zone set up by the Rojos on the front side of their house.  Even more bizarrely, all of them keep trying to surrender up to and including Baxter Dad and Baxter Son even though the Rojos have shot down approximately twelve people so far, all of whom have attempted the same thing with minimal success.

Still, a pretty fun movie, noteworthy for the enjoyable and iconic Eastwood performance, the great torture scenes, the final showdown between Joe and the Rojos, and the fact it eventually led to The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.  B
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Oh, just to add, for its flaws Fistful is still a real Western, so it makes me a lot happier than The Lone Ranger did.  First thing Joe does in A Fistful of Dollars: shoots four men, cracks joke to undertaker.  First thing John Reid does in The Lone Ranger: fails to successfully play with a doll.
Kinemalogue

Josephus

Saw Klute the other day, the 1971 Jane Fonda/Donald Sutherland movie about a hooker being stalked. It was alright, but boy movies in the day just had such a slow pace to them. Although Fonda was hot in those tight sweaters and no bra days. And you gotta love a movie with such phrases as "What's your bag?". :D I guess "bag" was short for "baggage", so "What's your baggage?" meaning what's your problem? and "you're such a square." :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011