News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Did you guys know that Clint Eastwood wrote some of the scores for his movies?  :huh:

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 30, 2013, 10:58:12 PM
Did you guys know that Clint Eastwood wrote some of the scores for his movies?  :huh:

Well duh.

But seriously, yes i did know.

And i enjoyed Go On, better than the New Normal that followed it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Hunt For Red Octiabr (1990).  Yes, the fucking title screen is still spelled wrong, after all these years.

Bonus moment of total garbage: the part where the damaged F-14A Tomcat transforms into stock footage of an F9F crash and colors stop existing.  This film features dozens of models, and this part is on lousy CCTV in the Enterprise CIC.  Was it impossible to get a model of an F-14A, which were no doubt commercially available, set it on fire, and throw it at a model of the Enterprise deck?  If it was impossible, why not just, you know, cut to the smoke on the deck?  Why pull a play from the Burt I. Gordon filmmaking handbook?  Is it because John McTiernan, secretly, hates himself?  Why?  He's a good director.

Anyway, despite his enormous apparent self-loathing, McTiernan assembled a fantastic cast of actors for the film, and while everyone is at least pretty good, Sam Neill steals every scene.  As you would or should expect.  I wish you could have seen Montana too, buddy. :weep:

But completely avoidable, amateur bullshit is doubly bullshit in a major film, and bullshit starts with a B+, if you accidentally hit the = key and SHIFT when you're typing it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

I did not, but that's cool.

My favorite director/composer is John Carpenter.  Also only other one I can think of off the top of my head.  But that dude rocks.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

And another thing:

Cool!

Laaame.  Package design-wise, that is.  I guess you get what you pay for when you dig something out of the bargain Blu Ray bin.

Also, my TOS Star Trek movies arrived the other day.  Did not realize that the version of the Motion Picture included was the theatrical cut.  Why?  Actually, the real question is "why not both?", but if you're gonna have just one, how about the one Wise cleaned up, rather than the one rushed out the door, please?
Kinemalogue

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on May 29, 2013, 07:06:17 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 29, 2013, 06:18:48 PM
Amazon prime is so great. Tinker, Taylor, etc., is already here.

Don't gobble it in one lump, saver it over several days/ couple of weeks.  :bowler:

Just got through with the 2nd episode. Fantastic so far.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on May 31, 2013, 12:42:36 AM

Anyway, despite his enormous apparent self-loathing, McTiernan assembled a fantastic cast of actors for the film, and while everyone is at least pretty good, Sam Neill steals every scene.  As you would or should expect.  I wish you could have seen Montana too, buddy. :weep:

I thought he was whinny.

My favorite line outta that movie.

Listen, I'm a politician which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies I'm stealing their lollipops. But it also means I keep my options open.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

B+ for Red October? SEEDY, TAKE THE SAFTIES OFF THE TORPEDOES.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 31, 2013, 06:24:30 AM

HE SO MUCH AS TWITCHES WERE BLOWING HIS ASS STRAIGHT TO MARS

Oh, wait.  That doesn't sound good.

It was a shitty stock scene, though;  I was on a first date when I went to see that movie, I think they heard me groan in lobby on that one.  I mean, while we're at it, why not use the famous footage of the Hellcat crashing on the deck of the Yorktown?

I remember reading an interview with Clancy when the movie came out, said his biggest regret of the screenplay treatment was the omission of the Maryland Air National Guard A-10s buzzing the Kirov, dropping flares on their deck.  Now that would've been cool.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on May 31, 2013, 12:44:34 AM

I did not, but that's cool.

He's been a musician all his life.  You should see Paint Your Wagon;  he can sing, too.

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

The Larch

I already watched the first two Arrested Development episodes from the new season. Oh how I missed the Bluths.  :lol:

Ideologue

The Fifth Element (1997).  Good, retarded fun for the whole family, permitted your loved ones can suppress their boners.   FEATURES: many highly stimulating scenes of ribby Slav Milla Jovovich nude or nearly-nude; Chris Tucker's finest performance, in a movie that realizes he's annoying and uses that as a strength; Gary Oldman wearing silly clothes and a sillier haircut and sporting a fine Southern accent, which you don't get nearly enough of in science fiction; Bruce Willis quipping and occasionally quasi-acting; ridiculous set and costume design not seen since the days of Hodges' Flash Gordon; colors! Warning: even goofier than I remembered it was.  Might be an A.

Continuing the theme of kaleidoscopic future super-schlock, I picked up Dredd when I saw its price had dropped a bit, and may watch it again as a proper double feature.  Question for 2000 A.D. readers (by whom I probably only mean Neil, if anyone): how were civil cases tried in Mega City One? :hmm:
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 31, 2013, 06:58:28 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 31, 2013, 06:24:30 AM

HE SO MUCH AS TWITCHES WERE BLOWING HIS ASS STRAIGHT TO MARS

Oh, wait.  That doesn't sound good.

It was a shitty stock scene, though;  I was on a first date when I went to see that movie, I think they heard me groan in lobby on that one.  I mean, while we're at it, why not use the famous footage of the Hellcat crashing on the deck of the Yorktown?

"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. "
Kinemalogue

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on June 01, 2013, 12:47:02 AM
The Fifth Element (1997).  Good, retarded fun for the whole family, permitted your loved ones can suppress their boners.   FEATURES: many highly stimulating scenes of ribby Slav Milla Jovovich nude or nearly-nude; Chris Tucker's finest performance, in a movie that realizes he's annoying and uses that as a strength; Gary Oldman wearing silly clothes and a sillier haircut and sporting a fine Southern accent, which you don't get nearly enough of in science fiction; Bruce Willis quipping and occasionally quasi-acting; ridiculous set and costume design not seen since the days of Hodges' Flash Gordon; colors! Warning: even goofier than I remembered it was.  Might be an A.

Same. Entertaining and not to be taken seriously.