News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

Talking about spoilers, The Wife wants to go watch The Fast And Furious 6, so I think I will ruin every surprise just a second before it happens.  :menace:
I wonder how long before she punches me.  :hmm:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

katmai

Can I place my bet for previews?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 30, 2013, 04:06:29 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 30, 2013, 01:27:10 PM
Here be spoilers

Quote from: Josephus on May 30, 2013, 01:21:14 PM
6th sense was OK....until you sat and reflected, then you realize how shit it was. The reason why no one saw the ending coming is because....there was no reason to suspect that Bruce Willis was a ghost. It made no sense. All the time, did he not realize that no one was talking to him? recognizing him? Did it not dawn on him that he wasn't feeling hungry anymore? Or tired? That he  didn't need to take a piss anymore? Twist endings are fine when you can go back and go "aaah, I see." Like that ghost movie with Nicole Kidman. But this one made you go, "Huh?"

I saw it coming. That dinner with his wife was the giveaway. She wasn't looking at him or avoiding looking at him, all her comments were delayed and not directly responsive to his, she showed no recognition that he was there.

Right. But you think HE would have caught on at some point.

Actually, they did a follow up show in which they described all the clues as to what was actually happening.  It was well done.  I didnt realize until near the end when I saw the movie the first time but I did realize it was a possibility before the big reveal.  This is one of those movies that is more enjoyable watching the second time so you can spot all things you missed the first time.

If you watch it again you will note that there are times he is perplexed as to what is happening.  Part of the ending being so good is that is as much a revelation for him as it is for the audience.

Josephus

Alright. Possibly. If it's ever on TV or something I will watch it again.

EDIT" And don't get me wrong, I did love it when I saw it. It's afterwards going over the movie with some friends and we started dissecting it that we started to have issues with it.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 30, 2013, 03:51:59 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 30, 2013, 03:51:07 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 30, 2013, 01:36:17 PM
80s Dune is better than other versions.

That one begs a remake or mini-series.

Curiously, I find I am in agreement with you on most matters not related to guns.
:lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on May 30, 2013, 01:21:14 PM
6th sense was OK....until you sat and reflected, then you realize how shit it was. The reason why no one saw the ending coming is because....there was no reason to suspect that Bruce Willis was a ghost. It made no sense. All the time, did he not realize that no one was talking to him? recognizing him? Did it not dawn on him that he wasn't feeling hungry anymore? Or tired? That he  didn't need to take a piss anymore? Twist endings are fine when you can go back and go "aaah, I see." Like that ghost movie with Nicole Kidman. But this one made you go, "Huh?"
The ghosts are supposed to be all disoriented and trying their best to avoid realizing that they're dead.  It's all explained in the movie.  It wasn't a bad movie, and any attempt to say that it was is simply revisionism based on M. Night's miserable failures later on.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

QuoteNBC has given a second season to its serial-killer drama "Hannibal," the network said Thursday.

The 13-episode second season of "Hannibal," will air "no earlier than midseason," NBC said.

The series follows serial killer Hannibal Lecter (played by Mads Mikkelsen) in his early days, and his relationship with criminal profiler Will Graham (Hugh Dancy), who has a unique ability to peer into the mind of serial killers.

Though the series premiered in April to a relatively soft 1.6 rating/4 share in the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic, it's currently averaging a 2.0/6 and 4.7 million total viewers.

The drama is based on the characters from the novel "Red Dragon" by Thomas Harris and was developed for television by Bryan Fuller, who also serves as writer and executive producer.

"We're so proud of Bryan's vision for a show that is richly textured, psychologically complex, and very compelling," NBC Entertainment  president Jennifer Salke said. "There are many great stories still to be told."

CountDeMoney

Sweet that it's getting a 2nd season;  I am in absolute love with that show.  They really knocked it out of the park on all fronts:  production value, writing and casting.

Eddie Teach

It's a good show, but I'm surprised 4.7 million viewers is enough for a network show to survive. Doesn't seem that long ago I was reading about shows getting canceled because they couldn't pull 8 million.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 30, 2013, 07:28:06 PM
It's a good show, but I'm surprised 4.7 million viewers is enough for a network show to survive. Doesn't seem that long ago I was reading about shows getting canceled because they couldn't pull 8 million.

The three highest rated freshmen comedies from this past season were all cancelled :lol:

Neil

Quote from: katmai on May 30, 2013, 07:38:07 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 30, 2013, 07:28:06 PM
The three highest rated freshmen comedies from this past season were all cancelled :lol:
Yeah, I don't get cancelling 'Go On'.  My wife seemed to like it, and shows on NBC usually have bad ratings.  I guess they must have been giving Matt Perry a ton of money or something.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

I think mid-season shows have a bit more leaway ratings wise. Anyways, good news. Best show on network tv.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on May 30, 2013, 07:53:00 PM
Yeah, I don't get cancelling 'Go On'.  My wife seemed to like it, and shows on NBC usually have bad ratings.  I guess they must have been giving Matt Perry a ton of money or something.

I didn't get it, either.  It wasn't a hit, but it wasn't exactly a dog.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 30, 2013, 09:06:33 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 30, 2013, 07:53:00 PM
I didn't get it, either.  It wasn't a hit, but it wasn't exactly a dog.
After consulting with my wife, it seems that NBC was disappointed that it didn't carry it's large audience when they were airing it after The Voice.  It seems that moving shows around on your schedule can be detrimental to their ratings.  So basically, it's another case of Network=dumb.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on May 30, 2013, 09:25:55 PM
After consulting with my wife, it seems that NBC was disappointed that it didn't carry it's large audience when they were airing it after The Voice.  It seems that moving shows around on your schedule can be detrimental to their ratings.  So basically, it's another case of Network=dumb.

One day, the networks will learn that the mouthbreathing audience for The Voice isn't exactly the same demographic as adult-oriented sitcoms.