And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

The last one he did wasn't bad. A 99 cent rental's worth.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

The Apartment.  Holy Christ that was amazing.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

11B4V

Amazon prime is so great. Tinker, Taylor, etc., is already here.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on May 29, 2013, 06:18:48 PM
Amazon prime is so great. Tinker, Taylor, etc., is already here.

Don't gobble it in one lump, saver it over several days/ couple of weeks.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Quote from: 11B4V on May 29, 2013, 03:02:24 PM
Hmmm

Quotehttp://movies.yahoo.com/news/hunger-games-trilogy-outsells-harry-potter-7-books-195452422.html

QuoteSuzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy is now Amazon's top-selling book series of all time, outselling the seven-book Harry Potter series, the online retailer announced today. That takes both physical and e-books into consideration. Hunger Games achieved its Amazon milestone with three books over four years compared with J.K. Rowling's seven over the course of well beyond a decade.

Ok. Still find it hard to believe. I guess this is just Amazon though not books-in-total. The early Potter books were sold before Amazon purchases were in vogue.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 29, 2013, 01:34:58 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 28, 2013, 11:40:49 PM

The Hunger Games (2012).  There are times I regret not getting out to the theater more often before about a year ago. 

Yeah, Hunger Games was even better on the big screen.  You really missed out.

Better at what?  Getting the names and locations of suspected terrorists?

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 29, 2013, 02:21:09 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 29, 2013, 01:42:24 PM
Haven't seen Hunger Games, but saw the trailer for Pt. 2 before Iron Man 3. It felt almost hilarious, because it took itself so super serious.

Its a children's book.  The one taking it too seriously is Ide.

This is stinkin' thinkin', CC.  Chec your logic: it flows from the premise that it doesn't matter that art for children (or adolescents) is bad.  Do you really believe this?  I doubt you do.

I can take into account that its prospective audience is teenaged, or tweenaged, and this can valuably inform my experience, but the choice of target demographic doesn't mean it doesn't matter.  It still matters a lot because 1)it's a work of art, and art matters inherently, 2)children are our future, and they'll grow up stupid and stunted if they are exposed to shitty art like this and believe, even if temporarily, that it's the pinnacle of cinematic achievement; and 3)The Hunger Games is no obscure movie made on half a dozen quasi-fraudulently obtained credit cards, even though it looks like it was made without hitting the limit on the first, but is a $80 million feature that established itself as a major franchise.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

The only cool thing about Hunger Games is all the MILF ass tagging along with the adolescents in B&N.

Ideologue

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 29, 2013, 03:08:58 PM
Hmm, no previews or reviews for After Earth? Does that mean it will suck ass?

I've seen the trailer for it maybe three times now, and it looks like horseshit.  There are three decaying Earth movies set to come out this year (hell, that I know of), and After Earth will easily be the worst.  I don't know what the fuck Will Smith is going for in what I've seen of his performance.  I guess it's good to see that M. Night has not lost his magic touch with directing actors, though.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: 11B4V on May 29, 2013, 03:15:21 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 29, 2013, 03:10:50 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 29, 2013, 03:10:30 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on May 29, 2013, 02:22:18 PM
It's meant for teens, really, which wouldn't make it a "children's" book.

That's even worse than a children's book.

No fucking shit.

TTTTwwwwlllllighhht.  :bleeding:

I think I'd rather watch at least three of the Twilight movies in a row than Hunger Games again.  I don't want to say four, or all five.  That'd be a lot.  But I would consider it.  Other than the first, and even the first isn't nearly as bad in this respect, at least those movies are made by non-asshole filmmakers.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Didn't Twilight go off the rails with the last movie?  Didn't Team Jacob try to fuck the baby or something?

Ed Anger

The chick from twilight is a uggo. I have spoken.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 29, 2013, 03:04:27 PM
Now, as somebody who respects the concept of CANON and will call CANON VIOLATION when warranted, I have to say the Bad Guy's Big Secret truly annoyed me.  It just didn't work: not for a CANON purist, and not really for a casual fan.  It was absolutely unnecessary to develop the Big Secret into that.  And not only that, he didn't even do it well.

How so?  Explain.

:P

Quote from: MoneyDidn't Twilight go off the rails with the last movie?  Didn't Team Jacob try to fuck the baby or something?

Well, that's faithful to the book.  Jacob imprints on the baby, which doesn't mean he's going to fuck it, it means he's going to raise it, groom it to consider their relationship normal, then fuck it.  This is totally different.  It's pretty hilarious.

Which is why they're superior, besides more conventional camera-work: the Twilight movies are at least kind of unintentionally funny.  There's only, like, one amusing part in the Hunger Games, and that's when the Rudy-looking fella uses his cake decoration skills (yes) to camouflage himself as a rock.  It's 110% as stupid as it sounds.

Quote from: MBThe chick from twilight is a uggo. I have spoken.

Stewart's got a good face and a great ass.  (And Ashley Greene is beyond hot, particularly in that pixie cut.  Holy moly.)

Which reminds me.  While it had no place in a review, Jennifer Lawrence's face kind of looks like the yellowface makeup from Cloud Atlas.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on May 29, 2013, 09:23:43 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 29, 2013, 03:04:27 PM
Now, as somebody who respects the concept of CANON and will call CANON VIOLATION when warranted, I have to say the Bad Guy's Big Secret truly annoyed me.  It just didn't work: not for a CANON purist, and not really for a casual fan.  It was absolutely unnecessary to develop the Big Secret into that.  And not only that, he didn't even do it well.

How so?  Explain.

:P

That is soooo self-explanatory, and you know it.  NOW SATURN 3 MACHT SCHNELL

Ed Anger

By Ide's own words, I accuse him of uggo lovin'!

J'ACCUSE