Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on May 29, 2013, 10:42:13 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 28, 2013, 11:52:53 PM
Also watched Forbidden Planet, <snip> A

FINALLY Ideo properly appreciates a good movie.

A drunken monkey......
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Haven't seen Hunger Games, but saw the trailer for Pt. 2 before Iron Man 3. It felt almost hilarious, because it took itself so super serious.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on May 29, 2013, 01:42:24 PM
Haven't seen Hunger Games, but saw the trailer for Pt. 2 before Iron Man 3. It felt almost hilarious, because it took itself so super serious.

Its a children's book.  The one taking it too seriously is Ide.

fhdz

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 29, 2013, 02:21:09 PM

It's meant for teens, really, which wouldn't make it a "children's" book. I haven't read them but I did find the movie engaging.
and the horse you rode in on

crazy canuck

Quote from: fahdiz on May 29, 2013, 02:22:18 PM

It's meant for teens, really, which wouldn't make it a "children's" book. I haven't read them but I did find the movie engaging.

Its meant for people below the age of majority.  Happy?

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 29, 2013, 02:23:32 PM

I read somewhere Hunger Games Trilogy out sold the Harry Potter series. Dont know if it's true. No small feat if so.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on May 29, 2013, 02:26:01 PM

I read somewhere Hunger Games Trilogy out sold the Harry Potter series. Dont know if it's true. No small feat if so.

Maybe, in some markets.  I know my younger boy and all his peers loved the books.  They also all loved the movie.  I took a bunch of them out to a showing.  And although it is definitely pitched to that age group, I thought it was well done.

Josephus

Quote from: 11B4V on May 29, 2013, 02:26:01 PM

I find that hard to believe.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

11B4V

Hmmm

Quotehttp://movies.yahoo.com/news/hunger-games-trilogy-outsells-harry-potter-7-books-195452422.html

QuoteSuzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy is now Amazon's top-selling book series of all time, outselling the seven-book Harry Potter series, the online retailer announced today. That takes both physical and e-books into consideration. Hunger Games achieved its Amazon milestone with three books over four years compared with J.K. Rowling's seven over the course of well beyond a decade.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

People bought Harry Potter from brick & mortar stores.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 29, 2013, 01:28:05 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 28, 2013, 05:22:09 PM
Went to go see Star Trek: Into Darkness today.  I shall write about it after I feast.  I am torn about it, however.

No reason to delay your feast.  Dont beat yourself up about eating first.

Meh, Hookay.

So I go into this film knowing full well that this is the rebootiverse, so I realize that I'm going to adjust my expectations accordingly.  Also, since I read all your spoilers anyway, I already know what's going on.  :P

Now, as a movie, it's fun.  Naturally there's the need to have seen the first reboot film, if only to understand how the crew came together, Pike's influence, Spock/Uhura, WTF-is-old-Spock-doing-there, etc, all those references.  Once those are under your belt, in that respect it's a decent movie, and an excellent cast of characters that work well together--as opposed to the TOS crew, that highlights 3 characters (even 2 as the movies advanced) or TNG, which has so damned many, there's only one worth focusing on.  But even in this film, the characters were beginning to fall right into their little typecast niches, which was disappointing. 

Now, as somebody who respects the concept of CANON and will call CANON VIOLATION when warranted, I have to say the Bad Guy's Big Secret truly annoyed me.  It just didn't work: not for a CANON purist, and not really for a casual fan.  It was absolutely unnecessary to develop the Big Secret into that.  And not only that, he didn't even do it well.

My biggest beef is, after two movies, you mean to tell me there isn't anybody out there in Hollywood at all that can't come up with a more original storyline than the last two films: one using a typical, worn out franchise meme (time travel) or the 2nd one in  recycling of  popular character (Bad Guy)?  I'm certain there's got to be a decent, original storyline out there somewhere.

And the Enterprise itself is the biggest and bestest aspect of the film anyway.  It doesn't have the realistic crunchiness of the new BSG, but it's nice to see pipes and conduits, as opposed to looking like a dental office.   The cloud scene was a great effect.

I did like the Prime Directive storyline, though.  That was a nice touch.  SO THEY SAW US BIG DEAL

I give it 3 Mehs out of 5 Mehs.  The Bad Guy's Big Secret totally took the wind out of its sails.

lustindarkness

Hmm, no previews or reviews for After Earth? Does that mean it will suck ass?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 29, 2013, 03:04:01 PM
People bought Harry Potter from brick & mortar stores.
Certainly.

derspiess

It's meant for teens, really, which wouldn't make it a "children's" book.

That's even worse than a children's book.

That said, I thought the movie was fairly watchable-- if you're on an 11-hour flight and you've already watched the good movies.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 29, 2013, 03:10:30 PM
It's meant for teens, really, which wouldn't make it a "children's" book.

That's even worse than a children's book.

No fucking shit.