News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Yi: A movie that came out last year sucked balls, and I hope Tom Stern goes blind.  My memory casts back to the hazy past of 2012, and I think Berkut said he enjoyed this.  What the hell, man? :berkut:

Also watched Forbidden Planet, The Strangers, and the original Amityville Horror.  A, B+, B respectively.

Forbidden Planet is pretty rad, I'd never realized how darn Star Trek it was till watching it as an adult.  You could literally plug Kirk and McCoy into the movie in the place of Leslie Neilsen and the slightly fish-faced guy, say Spock was on vacation, and lose nothing.  As for the chick playing Altaira--I didn't know skirts that short could be legally photographed in 1956.

A little disappointed in Amityville, thought it'd be scarier.  Think I liked the remake better, despite its sometimes over-the-top stylistic choices and the retrospective dissonance that Goerge Lutz is played by Ryan Reynolds.

The Strangers has some wobblycam like The Hunger Games, but not sickeningly so and its use has more of a point, is also edited reasonably well.  Is The Strangers iconic yet?  I think so.  I find it interesting that Dollface (one of the masked home invaders, arguably the leader) is played by super-hot model Gemma Ward, but you never clearly see her face (and blink and miss her in Gatsby--she's gone from four lines per movie in 2008 to one in 2013).  I like what Kip Wells (unfortunately a nobody) does with his breathing and the weird stuff he does with his eyes under the potato sack mask he's wearing too.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Another indictment of professional critics: Hunger Games was enjoyed by 85% of RT respondents.  Christ on the cross.

My man David Denby called it shit, though.  And used the word "epicene."  What a guy. :wub:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on May 28, 2013, 08:20:30 PM

P.S. I don't know what you're talking about with regards to Fantastic Four.  The fluctuations you see are statistically insignificant: that movie is not entertaining.  The second one is okay--and I mean middlingly okay--but my recollection is that the first one is a real fart.

The first one was not "bad" but rather "not good". It wasn't 26% worthy though and it was most certainly much better than the 1994 version which was made to keep the rights to the franchise for zero money rather than actually to be a movie. BTW the second one got 39% on tomatoes with the audience scoring much higher.

But yes reviewers have lost the mandate of heaven, this is why I demand they say why a movie is bad or good rather than just say that it is.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Hunger Games > Days of Thunder
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

lustindarkness

Quote from: Ideologue on May 28, 2013, 11:40:49 PM

The Hunger Games (2012). 

snip...TLDR...snip

F

I enjoyed that movie, it entertained me, as it should. You really should start enjoying your entertainment, that is the purpose of it after all.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grey Fox

It's very very weird story in a very weird society. From what I gathered, the next 2 books are crazier.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

11B4V

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 29, 2013, 10:25:21 AM

The Hunger Games (2012). 

snip...TLDR...snip

F

I enjoyed that movie, it entertained me, as it should. You really should start enjoying your entertainment, that is the purpose of it after all.

Same. It was entertaining. Plus it has Jen Lawrence  :perv:. She did a good job in Silver Linings Playbook too.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on May 28, 2013, 11:52:53 PM
Also watched Forbidden Planet, <snip> A

FINALLY Ideo properly appreciates a good movie.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: Viking on May 29, 2013, 02:47:52 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 28, 2013, 08:20:30 PM

P.S. I don't know what you're talking about with regards to Fantastic Four.  The fluctuations you see are statistically insignificant: that movie is not entertaining.  The second one is okay--and I mean middlingly okay--but my recollection is that the first one is a real fart.

The first one was not "bad" but rather "not good". It wasn't 26% worthy though and it was most certainly much better than the 1994 version which was made to keep the rights to the franchise for zero money rather than actually to be a movie. BTW the second one got 39% on tomatoes with the audience scoring much higher.

But yes reviewers have lost the mandate of heaven, this is why I demand they say why a movie is bad or good rather than just say that it is.

I think 800 words, cut from 1100, insulting a cinematographer counts.

Quote from: LustyI enjoyed that movie, it entertained me, as it should. You really should start enjoying your entertainment, that is the purpose of it after all.

I don't think of myself as a particularly severe critic.

Quote from: Eddie TeachHunger Games > Days of Thunder

Have you been indicted for securities fraud yet?  Because you're crazy, Eddie.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: 11B4V on May 29, 2013, 10:39:35 AMSame. It was entertaining. Plus it has Jen Lawrence  :perv:. She did a good job in Silver Linings Playbook too.

HG gave me no standard by which to judge her talent, so I didn't.  I'm sure she's fine.

Quote from: BeebFINALLY Ideo properly appreciates a good movie.

:hug:
Kinemalogue

Barrister

I thought I was damning you with faint praise, Ideo... :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

If one is to put one's opinions out there, it behooves one to have thick skin.  But self-delusion is even better. :P
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on May 29, 2013, 10:48:34 AM
Because you're crazy, Eddie.

You should consider the beam in your own eye before the mote in God's.  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 28, 2013, 05:22:09 PM
Went to go see Star Trek: Into Darkness today.  I shall write about it after I feast.  I am torn about it, however.

No reason to delay your feast.  Dont beat yourself up about eating first.

crazy canuck

The Hunger Games (2012).  There are times I regret not getting out to the theater more often before about a year ago. 

Yeah, Hunger Games was even better on the big screen.  You really missed out.