Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on May 21, 2013, 12:30:56 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 21, 2013, 11:50:06 AM
Quote from: katmai on May 20, 2013, 01:52:59 PM
Sitting down to double feature of Iron Man 3 and then Star Trek. See how horribly wrong Ide is.

So, and I say this earnestly, how'd that work out for you? :D

I liked Iron Man 3, I enjoyed Shane Black's only other film that he's directed, and clearly his influence and writing came out in movie.

I like the Mandarin touch, it's a hokey villain idea from 60's, so the take on him worked.

Star Trek was decent. I can agree with many of points made by you. And if there is a third film I hope they don't feel the need to reuse plot lines from ST IV-V, as I'm sure can come up with some decent plotlines not involving Time Travel to say whales and trying to find "god"

In Ide parlance
Iron Man 3 B
Star Trek B-

Did you just fucking spoil Star Trek for me? :ultra:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

If what i wrote spoils it for you, then all hope for you was already lost.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Viking

Quote from: katmai on May 21, 2013, 12:30:56 PM
Star Trek was decent. I can agree with many of points made by you. And if there is a third film I hope they don't feel the need to reuse plot lines from ST IV-V, as I'm sure can come up with some decent plotlines not involving Time Travel to say whales and trying to find "god"

No Shatner this time round.. so probably not. [spoiler]I think they have mined the Star Trek movies for all the useful plot they can. [/spoiler]
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Kleves

Steven Spielberg's helping to make a Halo TV series, apparently.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Kleves on May 21, 2013, 09:55:47 AM
Agents of Shield should be fun. Almost Human looks like it could be good too. Seth MacFarlane's new show looks like shit. The Michael J. Fox show looks to be hitting the Parkinson's pretty hard.

NBC couldn't make that plot idea work with "Mann & Machine" 20 years ago.

I remember being pissed when they canceled that show.  :cry:

Ideologue

Quote from: Kleves on May 21, 2013, 02:40:39 PM
Steven Spielberg's helping to make a Halo TV series, apparently.

Boooo.  Movies, damn it.  TV doesn't have the budget to make the necessary technology and humanpower available. <_<

Anyway, I meant to tell you that I thought you were right on about Star Trek Into Darkness.  You made a point I neglected--that shit is getting awfully old.  Even if I weren't of the same disposition, and I guess I'm not entirely (hawks of left and right unite? :P ), I'd still be getting weary of it.

Quote from: katmaiI liked Iron Man 3, I enjoyed Shane Black's only other film that he's directed, and clearly his influence and writing came out in movie.

I like the Mandarin touch, it's a hokey villain idea from 60's, so the take on him worked.

No, that's fair.  But my dislike of that turn is only about 20% based on my appreciation of the hokey villain from the 60s (who, it's important to remember, became a great villain in the 80s and/or 90s somewhat divorced from his yellow peril roots), and about 80% based on my determination of the twist as dramatically unfulfilling.

QuoteStar Trek was decent. I can agree with many of points made by you.

Great guns. :o

:P

QuoteAnd if there is a third film I hope they don't feel the need to reuse plot lines from ST IV-V, as I'm sure can come up with some decent plotlines not involving Time Travel to say whales and trying to find "god"

Concur.  I think it's safe to say there will be a third film, just with a change in behind-the-scenes captains, and hopefully the whole bridge crew, which can only be a good thing in my opinion.

QuoteIn Ide parlance
Iron Man 3 B
Star Trek B-

I don't use grade minuses, although I can see the utility.

Went out and bought Tron: Legacy. :wub:  Sometime late this or early next week, I'm getting all the old Star Trek movies on BD (they're available on Netflix, but won't be forever, and I was able to find them for $35 on Amazon? I think someone made a mistake), Branagh's Hamlet, Forbidden Planet, The Fifth Element, and Sin City.  Neat.  I should find the time to watch Hamlet sometime with the next decade, I expect. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grallon

Watched the sweetest coming of age movie I've seen in ages this weekend - it's Belgian and called 'North Sea, Texas'.  It's garnered 80% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Here's the synopsis:

QuotePim lives in a run-down house in a dead-end street somewhere at the Belgian coast, together with his mother Yvette Bulteel (better known as Yvette Mimosa, local accordion starlet). Life here smells of cold French fries, cheap cigarettes, vermouth and stale beer. Mother Yvette uses her fat Etienne with his lousy grey Fiat as a driver for the nights she has to "perform".

As a kid Pim dreams of a better life, imagining princesses and beauty queens. But when Pim turns 16 he dreams of Gino, the boy next door, instead. Ever since they were children there has been this tension between them. Now Gino is Pim's motorcycling hero. Cold mockery, little humiliations and tiny bits of hope make up Pim's life. No wonder he sometimes flees to his dream world.

Then one day Yvette leaves with young, hunky Zoltan, the boy from the fair. When Yvette leaves her son alone in the empty house, Pim seizes the opportunity and his dreams become half-truths. Pim moves to the neighbours' house to live with Marcella, his "second mum". And with Sabrina, Gino's sister, who circles longingly around Pim. He even sleeps in Gino's bed! But Gino's off romancing and living with a girl from across the border. Dreams never come true. Or do they? On a rainy day Gino returns.

Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ILOJIsDRjQ

And here's an interview with the main actor - a first role at 15 when it was filmed in 2011 - absolutely adorable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhWZ9q9COSg begins at 2.10

-----

So while 'coming-of-age' movies are rather common in the gay community - this one is particular in that it doesn't dwell on the 'agony' of being homosexual - like in so many American shorts or features - but rather on questions like being different, being accepted, being loved - something everyone who's been a teen has experienced - irrespective of their sexual orientation.  In that sense it's much more 'universal'.  The cast is quite good and the characters, down to secondary roles, are all well fleshed out.  But the main asset of this film is its photography and cinematography.  Both capture perfectly the 'age of melancholy' that adolescence is.

4.5/5

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Ugh boys romancing. Why isn't this considered pedophilia?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grallon

Quote from: garbon on May 21, 2013, 07:40:05 PM
Ugh boys romancing. Why isn't this considered pedophilia?

Now you are being willfully obtuse.  <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

:lol:

Seriously though, I've no interest in watching adolescent's coming of age, yearning and romancing. I'm not attracted to them so ultimately uninteresting / I've no desire to revisit that time period in life.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on May 21, 2013, 07:43:39 PM
:lol:

Seriously though, I've no interest in watching adolescent's coming of age, yearning and romancing. I'm not attracted to them so ultimately uninteresting / I've no desire to revisit that time period in life.

Romeo and Juliet: total garbage. -_-

Also Moonrise Kingdom.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Ide is good.  There's nothing wrong with his movie reviews, even if I disagree with some of what he's saying.  Haters are going to hate, but fuck 'em.

I'm far more disgusted by Sheilbh's bullying of people he perceives as his social inferiors than I am by Ide's occasionally questionable taste.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 21, 2013, 04:15:04 PM
Quote from: Kleves on May 21, 2013, 09:55:47 AM
Agents of Shield should be fun. Almost Human looks like it could be good too. Seth MacFarlane's new show looks like shit. The Michael J. Fox show looks to be hitting the Parkinson's pretty hard.

NBC couldn't make that plot idea work with "Mann & Machine" 20 years ago.

I remember being pissed when they canceled that show.  :cry:
I was relieved.  IT was pretty suck.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on May 21, 2013, 07:59:22 PM
I'm far more disgusted by Sheilbh's bullying of people he perceives as his social inferiors

:lol: Look who's talking.

Habbaku

Quote from: Ideologue on May 21, 2013, 07:31:35 PM
Went out and bought Tron: Legacy. :wub:  Sometime late this or early next week, I'm getting...Branagh's Hamlet, Forbidden Planet, The Fifth Element, and Sin City.  Neat.  I should find the time to watch Hamlet sometime with the next decade, I expect. :)

Well, I guess you aren't all that bad, then...  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien