News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

That was the season finale? :huh:  Kinda underwhelming.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

I agree that Ben Hur is a stinker.

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on April 29, 2013, 03:20:06 AM
Seriously? We are reviewing Ben-Hur?

Sure.  I doubt everything about anything has been said, because our knowledge and perhaps our maturity as a civilization is growing all the time.  To look back on old classics with a fresh perspective is valuable, or at least potentially amusing.  Further, because it is a classic, and more to the point because it is greater than ten years old and not in the least obscure, there is no need to hold back for sake of spoilers, and the film can be discussed in fuller form than with a newer movie--I have to be careful with describing what I thought they did wrong with the ending to Oblivion, but I can tell you exactly what's wrong with the ending to Ben Hur (or The Ten Commandments, but there is almost nothing wrong with that movie at all).

Plus, I think this about the thirtieth to sixtieth time I've spoken of grumbler-old movies in a review-style format.  I have, for example, the most posts of anyone about the beautiful creature that is John Agar. :wub:  I've certainly done enough that Leonard Maltining myself is possibility; apparently I think Attack of the Puppet People is equal in all technical respects to, say, The Magnificent Seven.  As all around! :lol:

Anyway, the Ben-Hur hate here is a real bummer.  How can you hate a movie where nearly every frame features perhaps the most magnetic and affecting screen presence of all time?  Is it your liberal agenda?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Watched "The Way"

Sad but also strangely uplifting movie.  One day I think I would like to take that walk. 

The Larch

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 29, 2013, 01:57:46 PM
Watched "The Way"

Sad but also strangely uplifting movie.  One day I think I would like to take that walk.

When you're done we can meet for drinks. :cheers:

The Brain

Watched "The Way"

It's "The Road". :contract:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Josephus on April 26, 2013, 08:23:13 PM
Watching the two part BBC series Spies of Warsaw based on the book by Alan Furst (did I ever mention he's one of my favourite authors?). Liking it so far.

Coincidentally, before ever reading this, I just randomly decided to watch the second half today (well, third and fourth parts, since they did the "air as one two-hour special, rerun as two one-hours" schtick. <_< ).
Experience bij!

11B4V

Iron Man 3 Grabs $195M Global Win
Quote(Newser) – Iron Man 3 hasn't even opened in the United States yet, but its global premiere got off to a thunderous $195.3 million start this weekend—even trouncing the $185.1 million mark set by last year's The Avengers, reports the Hollywood Reporter. That bodes well ahead of its American premiere on Friday, underscoring its chances of unseating The Avengers' record $207.4 million domestic opening. "To say we are beyond encouraged is an understatement," says a studio exec. This weekend's domestic numbers were much more modest, adds the AP: Mark Wahlberg's Pain & Gain posted a $20 million debut for the No. 1 spot, while Tom Cruise's Oblivion dropped to No. 2 with $17.4 million.
http://www.newser.com/story/167000/iron-man-3-grabs-195m-global-win.html

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Watched "The Way"

Yeah, sounds worthwhile even to a non-believer.   

I wonder if you can bike the route ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Out House, I think you would get a kick out of Rodger Dodger as well.

The Larch

Quote from: mongers on April 29, 2013, 06:18:32 PM
Watched "The Way"

Yes, it's possible.

mongers

Quote from: The Larch on April 29, 2013, 06:33:23 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 29, 2013, 06:18:32 PM
Watched "The Way"

Yes, it's possible.

Arse, yet another trip I'm gonna have to add to 'The List', but which I know I'll never get around to doing.   :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 29, 2013, 06:30:25 PM
Out House, I think you would get a kick out of Rodger Dodger as well.

That's Drakken's biopic where he's played by Jesse Eisenberg, right?
Kinemalogue