News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on April 29, 2013, 06:43:57 PM
That's Drakken's biopic where he's played by Jesse Eisenberg, right?

Jesse plays the protege.

As an aside, it's weird how the dude has not aged a day since the movie was made.

11B4V

The Help. Fucking great

"Eat my shit."
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

lustindarkness

Quote from: 11B4V on April 29, 2013, 06:03:19 PM
Iron Man 3 Grabs $195M Global Win
Quote(Newser) – Iron Man 3 hasn't even opened in the United States yet, but its global premiere got off to a thunderous $195.3 million start this weekend—even trouncing the $185.1 million mark set by last year's The Avengers, reports the Hollywood Reporter. That bodes well ahead of its American premiere on Friday, underscoring its chances of unseating The Avengers' record $207.4 million domestic opening. "To say we are beyond encouraged is an understatement," says a studio exec. This weekend's domestic numbers were much more modest, adds the AP: Mark Wahlberg's Pain & Gain posted a $20 million debut for the No. 1 spot, while Tom Cruise's Oblivion dropped to No. 2 with $17.4 million.
http://www.newser.com/story/167000/iron-man-3-grabs-195m-global-win.html

I plan to watch Iron Man 3 this week. I'll wait for Pain & Gain.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

Pain & Gain isn't out here yet, but I'll go watch Iron Man 3 on Thursday.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on April 29, 2013, 02:00:17 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 29, 2013, 01:57:46 PM
Watched "The Way"

Sad but also strangely uplifting movie.  One day I think I would like to take that walk.

It's "The Road". :contract:

No, the Road was both a terrible book and movie.

The Way is a good movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441912/

Viking

Specific Recommendation for Martinus

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2582590/

QuoteVicious (2013– )
TV Series  -  Comedy

Freddie and Stuart are an old couple who have been together for decades and bicker constantly. Their lives are turned upside down by their new upstairs neighbor Ash, who is sure to cause trouble in their mundane lives.

Creator: Mark Ravenhill
Stars: Derek Jacobi, Ian McKellen, Iwan Rheon

Alan Turing, Magneto and the Bastard of Bolton play in a sitcom about two aged flaming queens. This show seems to have been made for him personally.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Still watching "Revolution".

Not too bad, but....[spoiler]the writers are pushing way too much with every character doing everything blindingly based on personal relationships.

I could help save the world/stop a nuke/etc, but my lesbian/former/other love interest might die of cancer/torture/gunshot?  FUCK THE WORLD & INNOCENT PEOPLE.

Sure, it's not unrealistic (most of us would probably let several innocent strangers die before causing a loved one to die), but with EVERY fucking character?  Too much.[/spoiler]

garbon

Quote from: Viking on April 30, 2013, 02:33:25 PM
Specific Recommendation for Martinus

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2582590/

QuoteVicious (2013– )
TV Series  -  Comedy

Freddie and Stuart are an old couple who have been together for decades and bicker constantly. Their lives are turned upside down by their new upstairs neighbor Ash, who is sure to cause trouble in their mundane lives.

Creator: Mark Ravenhill
Stars: Derek Jacobi, Ian McKellen, Iwan Rheon

Alan Turing, Magneto and the Bastard of Bolton play in a sitcom about two aged flaming queens. This show seems to have been made for him personally.

I'm a bit down on it now given that it is no longer Vicious Old Queens.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 30, 2013, 04:00:24 PM
Still watching "Revolution".

Seriously, why?

Every single character there is a self serving moral monster and completely id driven. I knew that after 3 episodes, when I stopped watching. When the bad-guys are the only ones with realistic and morally defensible goals I don't sympathize or care for the protagonists.

It seems to be a problem for all network mainstream sci-fi/fantasy. This is why Terra Nova and Falling Skies suck. Though Falling Skies is the least sucky of the lot. Id driven motivations that cause characters to act out the too stupid to live trope to cause the drama of the week. Every single time they have to shoe-horn a moral that fits into the normal functioning society and try and transpose it on dinosaurs, civil war re-enactors of the future or aliens and it just sucks.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Not to mention mood whiplash.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 30, 2013, 04:19:03 PM
Not to mention mood whiplash.

That can work when characters have arcs, but it seems that most characters come fully formed and stay that way. But, outside of cable, Status Quo is God.

Josephus

Neil called this: Fuck, one decent TV show on network tv

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/30/nbc-station-hannibal/

EDIT: No, wait. I read that wrong. It's just one station so far.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on April 30, 2013, 05:03:38 PM
Neil called this: Fuck, one decent TV show on network tv

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/30/nbc-station-hannibal/

EDIT: No, wait. I read that wrong. It's just one station so far.

A single NBC affiliate in Salt Lake City is taking the show off the air.  Instead Hannibal will be shown on a CW affiliate.

Big whoop.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

The new demographics matter.  Spics over Chics, 1-0.

QuoteDear Valued Verizon Customer,

At Verizon, we recognize that providing the most current FiOS® TV programming information goes a long way in delivering the best entertainment experience to our customers. That's why we want to notify you of upcoming changes to the FiOS TV channel lineup in your area.

On or after June 1, 2013, Cinemax® will make changes to two channels:

@MAX (channels 429SD and 929HD), which currently features contemporary movies, will become MAX Latino, a Spanish language version of the Cinemax main channel (420SD and 920HD), with hit movies, original series, and more

WMAX (channels 428SD and 928HD), which currently features movies for women, will become MovieMAX, a movies-only channel with a wide selection of recent Hollywood hits, blockbusters, classics, and more

We thank you for your business and look forward to continuing to provide you with the very best entertainment services.

Sincerely,

Your Verizon Team